Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Booster Strap

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just had the Booster straps fitted to my boots and the instructions say that the strap should be in contact with the liner, ie inside the plastic on the shin part of the boot. In order for this to happen I will have to cut a small square of plastic from the boot so that the buckle on the booster strap will sit flush. I have however just tried the boot on with the strap outside the plastic (where a conventional power strap would sit) and the boot felt good. Is there any point in doing this or does the strap have to be in contact with the liner to work properly?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
BGA, If the plastic coller pulls up tight around the liner and then your leg, it should be fine.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks SMALLZOOKEEPER, it does, so I think I'll try it like that first before reaching for the hacksaw
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
BGA, wot boots did you put them on?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
BGA, when you do actually fit it inside the boot, it will feel different.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Salomon Course. Would just require a small window of plastic cutting off the collar which I don't think would alter the boot performance at all, but obviously easier not to bother if the strap works OK on the outside. The liners are foamed as well so the shin part of the boot is tight against the liner anyway
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
BGA, if you make the cut, then you have the choice of two different performance modes; inside the shell the strap can adapt the liner to your calf as it flexes the boot. If those were my off-piste boots, I'd do it.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
BGA,
Some years back I skied with a Canadian DH racer who advocated strap inside, I tried it, and it was amazing the difference in feel. If I am running gates (V infrequently) it goes inside in contact with the liner, but for everyday use it is outside. Suck it and see.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
OK dumb-fool question #1: what's the difference between a booster strap and a power strap?

Dypcdiver, I would have thought it the other way around: extra stiffness/responsiveness when in the gates, more flexibility when out of them? Pray expand.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
GrahamN,
Quote:

Dypcdiver, I would have thought it the other way around: extra stiffness/responsiveness when in the gates, more flexibility when out of them? Pray expand.

So did I, but in practice it seems to mean that you can get the whole upper cuff to be a more precise fit, well worth a try. BTW this racer had a home made strap that was made from 50mm webbing and velcro, it was secured to the back of his boot by just the screw that holds the upper cuff wedge/spoiler thingy, it pulled his lower leg back into contact with the cuff spoiler.

Booster and Power straps are the same thing, just different names, unless someone knowes better Confused
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
GrahamN, the booster strap is made of elastic, depending on the model will depend on how many layers, but can be 2 layers [intermediate advanced] 3 layers [expert] 3 layers with 2 stitched together [world cup] the idea is thart the elastic helps give you rebound in the boot and reduces any gaping between the liner / shell and your leg giving better comfort and performance

bracketed descriptions are those of the manufacturer but basicly the strp you use depends on your ability and your body weight
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Alles klar (well -ish). Thanks guys.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
GrahamN, what CEM leaves out is that the properly tensioned Booster strap pulls the back of the boot cuff before the shin pushes against the front. A power strap cannot do this because it is set to a fixed circumference.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
comprex, thanks but yes, I'd realised that would be a consequence of what CEM described. It does seem though that putting it outside the shell (as considered in the OP) does rather miss the point.

BTW, one instructor last year (on an off-piste course) was also recommending putting the power strap inside the cuff of the shell, giving you firm attachment to the back of the boot without over-stiffening the main boot, and so allowing freeer ankle movements.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy