Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Heli Packs?

Poster: A snowHead
Not so much a question more an observation . I see an increasing no of people on my daily commute with Heli-packs from Da Kine, Burton, Analog, Orthovox etc. Are these all ski a and snowboard geeks who have these to carry shovels & probes around in winter or have they crossed over to being urban cool accessories?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Slap a snowHeads sticker on them and then see if they answer your question direct Wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fatbob, that's so 2001, i.e. just after the dope dealers wearing TNF.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's quiet a statement isn't it. I ski / board off piste, yah?

I know I like to leave my ice axes on my pack when I'm on the tube... wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
i find my avalung quite useful on the tube too wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I find the ABS airbag most useful in a crowded tube. Twisted Evil
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Damn, I have both packs and they are the right sort of size for carrying stuff on trains tetc ( 20 ltrs). I would imagine you could get a laptop into one easily enough although I think Dakine and a few others market packs specifically for that and cameras etc .

Depends what they carry when depnds how naff it is.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
funnily enough I took my Ortovox one one a family trip to Legoland a few weeks back, purely because it was the right size for a day trip, didn't want to carry the massive rucksack I use for beach trips etc.....
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
So geeks it is then. wink I'm not whiter than white on this front either as I do occasionally use my regular bigger ski pack in everyday use and have recently bought a heli pack because I'm sick of taking packs off when lapping chairlifts - does everyone find that the slim 11l helipack can be worn safely on chairs with a shovel and probe & bladder in only?

I've also had very strange looks when carrying a pair of skis across central London in the past rolling eyes
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
fatbob wrote:
I've also had very strange looks when carrying a pair of skis across central London in the past rolling eyes

i cycled home from the UPS depot with my new Legend Pro XXLs over my shoulder. that was possibly more scary than skiing on them Skullie
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
fatbob,

hmmm 11 ltrs.. too small for me but if that is all you want to carry then it should work ok. I have a Dakine Vertex at about 18ltrs and a Crossrider at 20 ltr plus. I carry drinks...not a bladder, 1st aid, spare hat, video, short rope and maybe a harness as well as the shovel and probe etc etc and I will not be too full in 20 ltrs. I tend to think that a half full pack sits better than a full one so only carry the one pack now to do everything I want. I don't want to be carrying two packs on holiday.
I can wear my pack on chairs most of the time but not if it is pretty well full, or rather I have to be prepared to take it off if the queue is big.

I would class a 20 ltr pack as a day tripper.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
fatbob, I can't believe that everyone with one of these actually carries avvy gear in winter either. Just a pseudo-cool accessory.

A similar observation heading up the Crest bubble last year (champoluc). Party of chaps in queue...

* serious sacks, ice axes, ice screws on packs (no harnesses visible)

* Garmont Adrenalines, heavy crossover "freeride" bindings (in one case alpine), fat skis

Is it just me that's confused, is there not a wee problem here? Either you're just having a bit of lift served fun hence heavy footwear or you're doing a serious trek in glaciated terrain. Surely not both at once?

Anyway, they were doing neither. Saw them on piste all day...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
JT,

I'd definitely want a bigger pack for "exploring" days but there are often occasions when I'm simply lapping "s.off.t piste" that a pack you have to take on and off everytime is too much hassle. I carry a lot of stuff in my pockets too but then my attitude to first aid tends to be there isn't too much you can't achieve at a pinch with duct tape, pain killers and a dressing. rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Murdoch wrote:
fatbob, I can't believe that everyone with one of these actually carries avvy gear in winter either. Just a pseudo-cool accessory.

A similar observation heading up the Crest bubble last year (champoluc). Party of chaps in queue...

* serious sacks, ice axes, ice screws on packs (no harnesses visible)

* Garmont Adrenalines, heavy crossover "freeride" bindings (in one case alpine), fat skis

Is it just me that's confused, is there not a wee problem here? Either you're just having a bit of lift served fun hence heavy footwear or you're doing a serious trek in glaciated terrain. Surely not both at once?

Anyway, they were doing neither. Saw them on piste all day...

I think the freerando kit is spot on and will rightly become a big category- burly enough to thrash all day downhill but adaptable enough to do a bit of light touring (<1 hour climb at a time). and when I buy my Endorphins & Dukes (or whatever equivalent other manufacturers come up with) I'd hope to use them for all alpine skiing. The skinny whippets will obviously want lighter kit still.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
fatbob wrote:
So geeks it is then. wink I'm not whiter than white on this front either as I do occasionally use my regular bigger ski pack in everyday use and have recently bought a heli pack because I'm sick of taking packs off when lapping chairlifts - does everyone find that the slim 11l helipack can be worn safely on chairs with a shovel and probe & bladder in only?

It's why I always chose packs that work with a climbing harness.
ski holidays
fatbob, Ah, maybe I mis-framed my question. I agree that "freerando" is likely to become hugely popular - although as with race skis in the 70s-90s most people will never use their potential.

I just thought it was rather odd to head out for a day's piste skiing with ice screws. I've never found them necessary myself...
snow conditions
I always take out the same kit and I just know we will deviate off somewhere that looks interesting. Put it this way, I'd hate to say, I can't go there because of this or that...

Unless it is a boiler plate/hardpack/rock hopper/ hasn't seen snow for weeks time....that is the only time I'll ski with out a pack.

Ice screws are over the top.........Laughing
latest report
fatbob, David Murdoch,
Must be the same people I have seen on the Grands Montets cable car at 3pm, ice axes, ice screws, harnesses etc. but no ropes, tent or touring kit. It only looks "cool" to those who don't know any better. rolling eyes
ski holidays
fatbob, having just bought one I promise I won't use it for work rolling eyes I've been semi guilty of wandering round places with strange kit though: I took a bag with ice axes into tesco one night (I was heading to my girlfriends house and getting the first train to the Cairngorms next day) and once took my 7ft 10 surfboard into the pub: was moving it from one house to another and fancied a pint on the way. I also occasionally take my climbing bag into work: bit miffed I had to buy another bag as this would be perfect for boarding except for the lack of carry straps.
snow report
fatbob,
Quote:

I see an increasing no of people on my daily commute with Heli-packs from Da Kine, Burton, Analog, Orthovox etc. Are these all ski a and snowboard geeks who have these to carry shovels & probes around in winter or have they crossed over to being urban cool accessories?

I'm sure if you do a transceiver check by the door you'll be able to identify the "posers" from the true hardcore skiers. Twisted Evil wink
snow conditions
I own a small, antediluvian rucksack - really small - which I've had for aeons. Have just bought, though, the smallest Dakine Helipro, because I want to go on an off-piste Freshtracks holiday this coming season and could not have carried shovel and probe etc. in the old one. So...have just used the new rucksack walking in the Lakes, because I needed more room for spare clothes (the weather being so changeable) and will probably use it for hiking again, it was comfortable and roomy. Might even use it in town/travelling sometimes. But surely I'm not a poser because of this? I just don't want to go to the expense of buying a third non-skiing rucksack. Is this acceptable, or am I forever damned?
snow conditions
Hurtle,
OK, OK, just this once, but NO, I repeat NO ice screws in central London. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Heli packs rule. I've got two and between them they do/ have done everything; uni, work, skiing, shopping, travelling, biking.

If you have a bag that does everything, why waste money on gettnig one so you'll 'fit in' on the underground. Presuming the majority of the people on this forum have some sort of 'day pack', shouldn't the ones that spend money on a 'town bag' be the ones to laugh and ridicule?

Bo**ocks to spending on money on a highly practical leather satchel just to fit in with the rest of the 'suits'.
ski holidays
Dypcdiver, I didnt want to make that comment, as you just never know...but still - one does wonder...

JT, for sure, but then, I would anticipate it being generally obvious that you are just itching to head hors piste - whereas my observation of these guys was that that was the last thing on their mind. I cant even thing of an alcohol (or other vice) related advantage to having crevasse rescue capability on a blue run. Puzzled
snow conditions
Dypcdiver, Didn't Mick Fowler climb an ice smear on St Pancras station once, although IIRC he used sligngs around a drainpipe rather than screws for pro.
latest report
Swirly, If he did it must have been on my day off, I have lots of off days. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Dypcdiver, no worries, I don't even know what an ice screw IS!
latest report
Hurtle, http://www.snowandrock.com/products/image_popup.asp?product_sku=GRI004100&folder=12digits/
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hurtle wrote:
I don't even know what an ice screw IS!

Although that quote is fine written down, I'd hesitate to say it out loud, Hurtle Shocked Laughing .
snow report
maggi, Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
Dypcdiver, Ouch Shocked
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:
Dypcdiver, no worries, I don't even know what an ice screw IS!

You get a very cold backside. wink Laughing
ski holidays
Hurtle,maggi, And you thought it was something you got apres, apres ski NehNeh Twisted Evil
edit> I think this post should be reported!!
snow report
Spyderman,
Quote:

You get a very cold backside

Yeah, well, that depends, doesn't it? wink
Dypcdiver,
Quote:

I think this post should be reported

You're probably right. wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy