Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mt Blanc claims "stubborn and stupid" Brit.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Quote:
StÈphane Bozon, captain of the high mountain police in the French Alpine resort of Chamonix, said: "The group decided on this climb without taking into account the poor weather forecasts. This is stubbornness and stupidity.

The four victims, who had set out poorly equipped to deal with adverse conditions, died of cold and exhaustion after enduring a night on the mountain exposed to 75mph winds, heavy snowfall and temperatures of minus 15C. Full story

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 26-07-07 16:08; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I assume StÈphane Bozon is related to Charles Bozon after whom the black run at the Brevent is named.

"Charles Bozon

Named “Charlot” by his alpine ski team colleagues ...

He won several Olympic medals during his alpine ski racing career: silver in Cortina d’Ampezzo in 1956, bronze and silver in Squaw Valley in 1960.

2 years later in 1962, he became world ski champion as he raced in extremely stormy conditions at home in Les Bossons, a few steps away from the family household, in the Chamonix valley.

“Charlot” took part in an impressive rescue operation on the West face of Blaitière, one of the sheer granite faces over-looking Chamonix.

He died in 1964, during a tragic accident on Aiguille Verte. Mountaineering claimed the lives of his own father Anatole and his nephew Richard, who both disappeared in avalanches on guiding duty, in 1936 and 1995. "
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Slightly different angle and more detail from The Times

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/europe/article2141271.ece

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 26-07-07 13:06; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
And if the report is accurate then Mr Bozon is correct.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nickski, I agree, if correct the reports open a lot of questions about the parties actions. The thread title's wrong though as there was only one Brit involved.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Very sad; sure, they were stupid, but it's still sad. At least none of the rescuers died trying to reach them. I heard a story when in France last week about a party, some years ago, who (it transpired after the event) had deliberately got themselves stuck up in the mountains somewhere, to sell their stories to the press - Paris Match. A rescuer did die on that occasion, and when the authorities became suspicious there was a successful court case against the climbing party and, I think, the magazine. The story was told me in French and I probably missed some vital element. Does anyone know about this incident? The group was apparently stuck for some days, and on the TV news each night as rescuers tried to get to them in appalling conditions.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The PGHM was created 1958 after an accident in 1956 when no one was able to effect a rescue. Since then 46 members have died while carrying out rescues which unlike rescues from ski areas are free.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 26-07-07 17:13; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Swirly, sorted Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w wrote:
Does anyone know about this incident?

Yes, your version might go down well in the Daily Mail but appears to be somewhat lost in translation.

http://pistehors.com/backcountry/wiki/Articles/Search-And-Rescue-Costs
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
davidof, yes, I think the guy who told me the story was a bit prone to exageration - I heard a fair few tall stories and I don't think it was all down to my less than fluent French!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w wrote:
davidof, yes, I think the guy who told me the story was a bit prone to exageration - I heard a fair few tall stories and I don't think it was all down to my less than fluent French!

There was a media storm about what happened but as with much in press a lot of it was incorrect. To recap, three men set out in good weather on a ski tour during the winter of 1999. The weather forecast was good but was wrong. They got trapped when a big storm closed in and survived 10 days in a snow cave. The CRS officer commanding the rescue said that the trio had "not committed any typical error"[1] and a police report after the incident absolved them from responsibility. The media, at first praising the three men for their fortitude then turned nasty when it turned out they had sold their story and photos to Paris-Match. No rescue worker was killed or injured during the operation although they carried out many search missions in very poor weather. A state prosecutor in the Savoie, caught up in the media frenzy, said he would have prosecuted the trio for manslaughter if anyone had been killed during the rescue but this, of course, was crazy talk.

==
This info comes from a friend who carried out an investigation on mountain rescue for the French government. He spoke with the rescue workers involved in this mission and the above is a very small summary of his investigation into the incident.

[1] - The french he used was very particular and my translation may not be perfect but I take it he meant they hadn't ignored weather forecasts or set out poorly equipped.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
So did M. Bozon actually use the phrase "stubborn and stupid" or something which might be closer to naive and inappropriately focussed? I understand the education agenda in these soundbites and I think he would be qualified, if anyone to comment, but is it media sensationalism in the translation?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The translation was reasonably accurate. Capt. Bozon said (my translation): "They were focussing on this mythical climb and they did not take into account the weather forecast from Meteo France. They should have made a U-turn. It was stubborness and stupidity. They are fully responsible."

I like the Independent's tips for surviving a night out on Mt Blanc "remember to take warm drinks".
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This is what Pascale, the mother of Morgane, the French victim had to say

Quote:
The men of the PGHM were fantastic, they tried everything to reach the group and risked their lives to save them. They were simply angry because it is very hard for them to bring so many dead kids of the mountain. I can never thank them enough, especially the guy who stayed on the phone with Morgane to the end.

Apparently the group were equipped with ice axes but the snow was too hard to dig a cave at that point. Exhausted they were unable to descend to the hut, 1 hour away under normal conditions. Two of the group were training for the "climbers" exam with the French Alpine Club and already had a numerous routes under their belts in France and elsewhere. In short experienced climbers who maybe made a mistake and paid a high price.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy