Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Crystal Report out again

Poster: A snowHead
The Crystal Report on the UK Ski Industry is out again. You can read it here:
http://emag.digitalpc.co.uk/shg/crs_report07.asp
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks an interesting read.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Martin Bell, Thank you for putting up a most interesting analysis. I particulatly liked 'The proof' that Tour operators offer cheaper holidays than DIY (pg 22 and 23) Shocked
snowHeads views on those two sets of prices will be most interesting!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Martin Bell, Thanks for the link, very interesting read, maybe slightly biased figures used when comparing the costs on p22,23 wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
boredsurfin wrote:
Martin Bell, Thank you for putting up a most interesting analysis. I particulatly liked 'The proof' that Tour operators offer cheaper holidays than DIY (pg 22 and 23) Shocked
snowHeads views on those two sets of prices will be most interesting!

That was stupid of them as that is so easy to challenge.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Come on guys be fare!!! They are sending thousands of customers to the slopes, there is absolutely no way that an individual can beat the fantastic buying power of the multi-nationals.

If you believe you can get better value than the TO's you possibly are not in the right profession, you should be a buyer for the TO's. On the other hand you might be insinuating that many / some of the TO's are overcharging a little!!! I am interested what other snowHead 's feel might be more accurate.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
On outright price I don't think that I've been able to beat TOs when I've arranged my own trips. But for value-for-money, minimising travel times, flexibility of arrangements and not having to fend off the sales pitch of saisonnaires desperately pushing expensive apres-ski activities I think I win hands down.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Roy Hockley, I'd tend to agree with you - yes, bargains are possible, but not the norm - and based on the number of threads about budget airlines on here, it seems that they aren't always as amazing as some would like to believe.

Travelling as a single person, it is probably cheaper to go DIY. Travelling with restricitons - i.e. specific dates, or need to book at a certain time, then it may be worth speaking to a TO.

What you will probably get is someone replying that the prices that Crystal have quoted are all wrong, but it would be interesting to see them prove it.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I don't necessarily think they are overcharging, they are in business to make a profit and supply and demand comes into it. However I don't agree with their price comparisons and think that you can get better value, cheaper trips DIY. Renting accommodation from private individuals is usually far, far cheaper and there are some great places available. Having said that the price of "budget" airlines next year might make it more challenging. Ferry for me at Easter.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think it depends first of all what you are looking for. If you get flights cheap and plan early or are prepared to drive then I think you can beat prices and often end up with better quality accomodation. The key advantage that TOs offer have in terms of pricing are cheap transfers. If you don't want to be packed in to apartments like sardines then TOs are not necessarily a good bet
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Interesting that the 2 dates in Crystals example are Very low season!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
boredsurfin, actually one is low season; the other is over new year.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Interesting read

Crystal may well be right about standard 7 night/ 6 ski day holidays but I suspect the majority of DIY ers
don't book that sort of trip ... they'll either be doing long weekends or trying to squeeze 7 or 8 days skiing out of a week

I haven't looked in detail but most package long weekends I've seen have been way more expensive than DIY.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Roy Hockley, It is often possible to do better DIY than by TO, but only by not using the same flights/accommodation.

Remember that while the TO gets discounts for buying in bulk, they also have to make a profit on top of what they pay, while the DIYer doesn't. But even so, if you are going to use the same flights and the same accommodation, you will usually be hard pressed to beat them.

Stay in a hotel/apartment that isn't big enough to attract the TOs, and fly with a cheap airline, and you will often manage a cheaper price.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
admin, Doesnt everyone ski for 2 weeks at Christmas, I wouldnt thought there would be much demand for a Dec. 29th Departure Laughing
snow report
boredsurfin wrote:
admin, Doesnt everyone ski for 2 weeks at Christmas, I wouldnt thought there would be much demand for a Dec. 29th Departure Laughing

New Year week is the peak week of the whole season so the 29th December departure will probably be the highest demand there is (possibly excepting the February half term) .... Christmas week is no where near as popular with Brits.
ski holidays
£195 and £123 for the flights alone? I've never paid more than £50 return, and often far less - it looks like they've picked the most popular ones they could find snowHead
ski holidays
Roy Hockley wrote:
If you believe you can get better value than the TO's you possibly are not in the right profession, you should be a buyer for the TO's.

Having been involved in contracting for TOs you wouldn't want the job. A winter spent visiting hotels etc. Pay around 15-20K per year and very little skiing. That doesn't mean the contractors are not good. However there is very little margin and remember that tour operators buying power is spread thinly when you consider the resorts. For example they may get 20% off a hotel room, they may get 10% off lift passes. Flights are traded internally with their own or other charter airlines and they often pay more than you will with a budget. 60 UKP per head for example. The biggies where they make up money are club hotels, chalets and transport with a coach transfer costing the operator 5 quid and this is still a big problem for DIY holiday makers.

If you do a hotel holiday or self catering you should have no trouble beating TO list prices. If you are good at negociating or have the right information you can buy hotel rooms, lift passes, ski hire all under the asking price that Crystal are no doubt using in their report. However you won't get huge discounts so DIY or Package the figures tend to come out around the same.

The main advantage of TOs is, as page 23 states, the provision of services in a unified (sometimes Happy) manner.
snow report
The TO's pricing thing is utter crud.

We're doing Zermatt for xmas, B&B at £25 a night, £52 Swiss Transfer Pass, and £106 Flight (Easyjet Lpl-Geneva Basel-Lpl). Would we get that over xmas from a tour operator? I think not.....
snow conditions
I've found if staying in apartments it's much cheaper to DIY. If staying in a hotel, if staying 2 weeks or bringing a small group of 6, the hotel will cut a deal. Esp if driving, there are major savings to be had on DIY. I could accept that if travelling as a couple I might not bother.
snow report
To stick up for the TOs their prices are hard to beat if you take advantage of late booking etc, skip their insurance and have the right sized group and holiday length plans. The bigger your group the more the economics swing towards DIY as things like car hire, appratment rental beome lower per head. They are particualrly competitive for N American charter destinations e.g. Banff where I am almost certain you cannot DIY for what they can do a package for due to flight & transfer economics.
ski holidays
Roy Hockley, Not convinced for skiing in the US/Canada. We haven't used a TO of 12 years going there, and whenever we have checked the prices, we have done better, and usually ended up with better flights and cheaper lift passes. It might well be true for volume operators in Europe, but I am not sure I would want a really cheap TO holiday in Europe in any case!
ski holidays
TOs often offer very attractive headline prices, but it's very hard to avoid paying for so many extras (under-occupancy supplements, flight supplements, etc) that the total cost is uncompetitive. This is especially true if you're not travelling in a group of 2 or 4.

Our family - three children, two adults travelling in school holidays - completely fails to match the TOs model. Every year I price up packages and independent travel, and, unless I can find some special cut-price deal with a TO, it's always cheaper to go solo. I'm already booked for Canada next winter, and I'm not using a TO - they were simply too expensive.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy