Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What's the rush?

Poster: A snowHead
When I observe skiers from the lift, one of the striking things I notice is how many rush the top of their turns. What I'm referring to is the habit most skiers have of aggressively tossing their ski tails out to the side at the start of their turns. This tendency is usually born of a desperate desire to escape falling victim to the horrors that are believed to await those who flirt with the dreaded falline.

This tail tossing move at the beginning of a turn is called a pivot. A pivot is defined as the manual twisting of the skis into a new direction when the skis are un-weighted. While pivoting is a valuable skill to have (for use during specific situations) too many skiers rely on it as their only option. The result of a pivot is a comma shape turn in which the first half of the total direction change (initiation to falline) happens much faster than the second half (falline to completion). This inconsistent rate of direction change introduces a flow killing interruption into each new turn.

This is a great technical area to address. Playing with turn shape is an excellent means of overcoming the falline fears that foster those pivoted comma turns. Reversing the pattern by making the initiation to falline portion of the change of direction happen much slower than the falline to completion portion can expand a persons understanding on how speed control can be achieved in the second half of a turn. This is a new concept to most habitual pivoters, which allows them to leave their previous fear of the falline behind. Suddenly the falline is transformed from a monster to be avoided, to a ride that can be enjoyed. Speed picks up, provides a thrill, then can be tempered as desired at the bottom of the turn.

This simple line alteration discovery can pave the way for even greater forward strides later. It provides a much more refined feel and usage of the ski's edge and sidecut. It's also the first step on the way to carving and arc to arc turns.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
FastMan, good thoughts.

Quote:

This tail tossing move at the beginning of a turn is called a pivot.

Even worse, it normally manifests itself as a pivot about the tips (front) of the skis, usually indicative of the skier standing on their heels (balance aft) - and "pushing" or "flicking" their heels from side to side.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
veeeight, I have heard it described as skiing like a happy dog!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
This has got me thinking a bit - there are surely a lot of situations where tail pushing is useful e.g tightish trees but on an open piste is the real reason lack of confidence?

As a further analysis question is rooster-tailing evidence of tail pushing or do can twin tips produce a degree of rooster without major technical defeiciency?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
fatbob, I think that rooster-tailing is due to the edge being engaged (when in firmer snow), or just by plain skiing in softer stuff.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
FastMan, Last set of lessons I was in did a fair bit of work tring to get uniformity of movement throughout the turn. IMHO as this is practissed the enjoyment and control (and style Toofy Grin ) goes up and the effort required goes down. It is as you say a lack of confidence that can often contribute to the rushing at the start of the turn.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Good thoughts - something I have been thinking about in my skiing recently and it's always good to have a reminder
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
FastMan, would you have any video clips - perhaps one of a "good" turn, and one of a "bad" (if possible a demonstration turn by the same person)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
fatbob, To answer your questions in reverse:

Tail roostering on twip tips happens whether you're riding a flat ski or an edged ski, so is not an indicator of any technical analysis. It's just the way snow behaves (flow) due to the design of the tail of the ski.

As for tail pushing, it's pretty much the equivalent of driving your (rear engined) car around and changing direction by yanking on the handbrake. To quote Bob Barnes:

"As always, there are few bad moves, but there are bad habits. Pushing your tails out into a skid is a defensive move, a braking move. If you need brakes, it's the way to go. But braking is a bad habit. Skiing is about gliding. Good turns are not about braking--they're about going where you want to go, about controlling your line, rather than your speed. In that regard, pushing your tails out is, indeed, a bad move.

On the other hand, real skiing does involve braking, probably more than many skiers would care to admit. Even racers brake, just as they do in cars. Skiing is full of situations where a little judicious braking is key. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Just don't confuse it with turning!"
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Why turn at all? What's wrong with the fall line?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
David Murdoch, fall line or flow line? Wink Laughing
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
This was always a problem for me as I tended to rush the start of my turns. Thanks to Charlotte at the PSB last year, I'm now a lot further along the road to eradicating it. The fall line is your friend Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wear The Fox Hat, I have quite an embarassing video of me doing "Snowheads wall" taken by easiski where I am doing a very impressive display of:
1. tail pushing
2. arm flapping
I am not sure whether I can bring myself to post it Embarassed
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I like to wash the tails every now and again but it isn't because of a rushed entry into the turn if I understand this.
I do it to tighten a turn and it is almost a drill. That is not to say that it doesn't creep in inadvertantly from time to time and you can easily get the feel that it is happening but there really isn't much of an excuse for it on a wide piste otherwise. It is probably a hangover from a little hop turn that you need in steeper stuff for me.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
FastMan, "What's the rush?"

For sure. Sometimes it's about having patience, giving the ski's chance to do their job and yourself time to feel for what's going on.
ski holidays
I'm still a bit confused by the idea that people start the turn by tail pushing. While I can think of circumstnces where I would definitly do it e.g. trying to spray mates with snow or attempting (and failing) badly to execute a tail slash on a snowboard I would have thought it generally comes at the end of the turn as people are panicked by the fall-ine and/or speed pick up.

Thinking of a good and poor snowboard turn; in a good one weight stays on the lead foot, the rider controls edge pressure between heel & toe and the board rails round. In a poor one the rider doesn't commit enough weight forward or have fine foot steering sussed so the board kind of does its own thing by mid turn and the rider then kicks the back foot round to complete. Is skiing radically different?
ski holidays
fatbob, I guess it would be like actively kicking the rear of the board around with the back leg.

I recently saw a beginner being taught snowplough turns and the instructor kept telling them to 'slide your heel out'. Not an ideal start.
latest report
fatbob, It's easier to screw-up on skis than a board wink You are spot on, but skiers don't have the ability to apply differential torque to the leading edge so where we can easily edge harder at almost any part of the turn, the skier needs more input and is more at mercy to the technical construction of the ski. . . .

but there are boarders who spent their entire hill time pushing the tail of the board around to start the turn . . . it's a bad habit that's a sod to get rid of Embarassed
latest report
i find it's a hangover from the old school technique of unweighting to start the turn
snow conditions
Arno, another can of worms NehNeh Unweighting (up, down, or terrain) is not a crime, even in todays "modern" technique.
ski holidays
veeeight, it's all about doing it in the right time and the right place?
ski holidays
Quote:

Pushing your tails out into a skid is a defensive move, a braking move.
Just don't confuse it with turning!"

David Murdoch wrote:
Why turn at all? What's wrong with the fall line?

Exactly! I bet if you ask most beginers, they'd say the whole purpose of turning is indeed to slow down! So what's so bad about an effective braking move?
ski holidays
Arno, or you could look at it as correlated but without a causal link. One obvious factor in common is the great huge lever-back of the plastic ski boot. So handy and available to large muscles to use for panic stops.

abc, a world of people equipped with nothing but hammers. The funny thing is, I see drivers who can't turn a car without braking, riders who can't turn a bike without braking, skaters, ...but you get the point.
latest report
Arno, Yep! Part of the issue is that people don't return to "neutral" properly - they rush from one set of edges to another, without the appropriate transition (whatever that may be for that situation).

(More on unweighting on Skiing Myth #1)
snow report
Quote:

abc, a world of people equipped with nothing but hammers. The funny thing is, I see drivers who can't turn a car without braking, riders who can't turn a bike without braking, skaters, ...but you get the point.

No, I don't (get the point).

For the majority of skiers, skiing is simply about moving around the mountain. So an effective braking move that controls speed AND direction seems a perfectly adequate tool. In other words, if skiing IS about getting the nails into the wood, a hammer is indeed the best tool.

Turning without braking, being it in cars, bikes, or skis, is not NECESSARY for many. In fact, for those who don't race, it may well be a good question as to what's so wrong about scrubbing off a lot of speed BEFORE the turn? In other words, "what's the rush (of carrying the speed through the turn)?".

Skiing technique, as taught in many ski school, unfortunately focus PURELY on specific "moves". Right now, it's all the rage about "carving", as though it's a be-all-end-all move. I do have my thoughts on why it's important to control speed without "tail tossing". But I like to wait to hear it from the instructors.
ski holidays
Quote:

Skiing technique, as taught in many ski school, unfortunately focus PURELY on specific "moves".

Only ski school systems with movement based methodologies. The CSIA, APSI, NZSIA for example do not rely on a movement based methodology.
ski holidays
Are you sure it's a 'rush' or hurry-up thing that's motivating it?

I suspect that for quite a lot of people the turn initiation is just a brutal power-move.

So, slide, slide, slide....*YANK AND TURN*, slide, slide, slide, *YANK AND TURN*

(It wasn't too long ago that I did that.)

It's easy, obvious and works. (ish)

The patience you need to let your skis start to turn requires you first of all realise that you should be being patient.
Then it requires self-control to allow the skis to move by themselves - Dave Grogan ran us through a lot of this last ESA and got us to start the carve in the top half of the turn.

The main problem for me was that I'm used to doing speed control there so it wasn't habitual to do speed control in the bottom half of the turn. With all that patience and no braking it got quite fast and wide...

*SOB*, I want to go skiing every weekend *SOB* Sad

Phew, better now...
snow conditions
abc wrote:
In other words, "what's the rush (of carrying the speed through the turn)?".

Other than:
- Being able to turn instead of static re-pointing.
- Avoidance of rushed -actions- of braking, re-pointing, re-acceleration, therefore also avoiding a sizeable fatigue
- Access to lines not available otherwise, therefore less poling/traversing/whatever, including more safety in traffic through more options
- Allowing better braking OR re-pointing by not making ski/bike/car do both at the same time with limited purchase (therefore not whingeing about ice)

?

Can't think of any reason. Well, except the pure curmudgeonly contrariness of not allowing the task to be defined by the tool. And except for the plain fun rush.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
abc wrote:

For the majority of skiers, skiing is simply about moving around the mountain. So an effective braking move that controls speed AND direction seems a perfectly adequate tool. In other words, if skiing IS about getting the nails into the wood, a hammer is indeed the best tool.

It is more like having a tool (skis) like a hammer and trying to use it like a screwdriver... If your default movement is a turn initiated using a heel push then the chance of using your skis efficiently when you are able to is slim...

Moving around the mountain is possible much of the time simply using direction control to control speed... why would you put in a heap of physical effort and be less efficient? Unless it was part of some weird diet program where you try to burn as many calories as possible
snow conditions
david@mediacopy wrote:

I recently saw a beginner being taught snowplough turns and the instructor kept telling them to 'slide your heel out'. Not an ideal start.

Just out of interest, how would you get a beginner sliding on parallel skis to form a snowplough and what would you ask them to do to intitiate a snowplough turn?
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
FastMan, would you have any video clips - perhaps one of a "good" turn, and one of a "bad" (if possible a demonstration turn by the same person)

Here's one Little Tiger dug up out of the ashes for us. Shows pretty clearly the tail push we're talking about. This skier has a definite falline aversion, and the aggressive tail tossing (and stemming) she uses on the steeps carries over on the flats.

http://media.putfile.com/SM-N

I'll look around for a clip that shows non rushed initiations. I have plenty I could show in which the skier is carving, but I'd like to find one in which the skier is steering.
snow report
FastMan, thanks. I find words + images works best for me.

lbt, fast and wide? ... now where's that video of you in the 1/2 pipe? Laughing
ski holidays
Yoda, I'd move from one to the other when appropriate and keep it very simple. wink
snow conditions
FastMan, the video was a nice illustration of your point. I too see a lot of peeps who throw their hips around in an attempt to initiate turns and get very skiddy at the top. Not being sexist but they tend to be women. is it a physiological wider hips thing?
snow conditions
Haven't been able to view the vid yet..... a gorilla with hips...??
latest report
Quote:

Not being sexist but they tend to be women. is it a physiological wider hips thing?

Maybe because guys simply go stragith down and don't make half as many turns as women? Wink

Kidding aside, I read somewhere women on average have weaker muscle around their knee so balancing ski on the edge are more difficult for women...
snow report
skimottaret, I see plenty of men doing it... and many would swear they are high level skiers.... I skied behind one recently ... but not for long, because every time he initiated a "turn" he sprayed the fresh snow everywhere... in the same snow, same run, Fastman was chucking up nothing (I followed him too)..... That guy had a "turn" pattern that involved a pivot redirection and then pretty straight run, followed by another pivot, straightish run.... no arcs there! but he was fast to the lift - so must be an expert Wink

When you consider it is a very common movement pattern amongst skiers on the slopes, and male skiers outnumber female by a significant amount, I don't think you can put it down to hips...

That woman I found is just a very classic example of the "fall-line fear" ... you can easily spot the fear of fall-line... it can often be more subtle tail push like the guy I followed - you would need to be watching his movement pattern to spot it...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy