Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bobsleigh?

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone tried it?

My husband and I are aquainted with Lee and Karl Johnston of the UK bobsleigh team, hence my boys think he is a demi-god, and bobsleigh-ing is the sport of the the gods. I've just noticed that there is a bobsleigh run on the PDS at Pre la Joux. Wondered if it was worth a visit...possibly not to try it (although Mr Marmalade would probably find it hard to resist) but just to see it 'live'.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
marmalade, The Bob sleigh run at La Plagne is open to all ! Very Happy
Full details and prices here http://www.la-plagne.com/en/bobsleigh_fr.phtml
Includes video of the run!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
boredsurfin,

Thanks but we're in Avoriaz in March so Pre la Joux would be a tad nearer, can't find any info about if it's in regular use though.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
marmalade, For next time Very Happy
The LP site says the tourist facility is unique in France so I guess
you can look but not touch at Pre la Joux Sad
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Have done the one at La Plagne, superb Toofy Grin If you get the chance don't even think twice, it's one of those things that you will never forget.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
srobbo, did you do the computer controlled one, or the proper one?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm not known for doing mad things - but I think even I could be tempted by a bobsleigh run - just the once though wink I reckon its got better odds for success than a parachute jump despite seeing how Noakes got on all those years ago!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've always wanted to do it (bobsleigh, not parachute).......
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Charlatanefc, It was the 'Taxi Bob' circa '92, whereby they shove 4 people in and just give you a push ! It is slighly articulated so it effectively steers itself round the corner's, the speed is slightly slower that a manned ride, but still very fast with some good g force created.
Would love to do another, maybe even try a 'luge'
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
holidayloverxx wrote:
I've always wanted to do it (bobsleigh, not parachute).......

Why not (parachute)? Wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
abc wrote:

Expen$e at $20/minute FF AFTER training ($100/minuteFF) and full gear purchase?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
abc, comprex, just plain scared Embarassed
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
comprex wrote:
abc wrote:

Expen$e at $20/minute FF AFTER training ($100/minuteFF) and full gear purchase?

Paid £400 for my first rig - all courtesy of my uni loan Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
FenlandSkier, in my cheapskate days I had a $350 21 cell Goliath that was rated for me, another person, and 150lbs of freight, if I opened at 1000m I could get 30mins of thermals just off the airstrip, developed a serious addiction to yanking a toggle to my heel and spiraling in horizontal, wheee.

(I have a pic somewhere of me horizontal in the background, the jumpmaster inverted over his 15cell Raven in the foreground, wheeeeeeee, how to have fun with a 5000ft ceiling).

Drop zone long gone, now under Dulles TCA.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I got my first static-line parachute jump & training for nothing, after raising a couple of hundred ££ for charity. After that it was only £30-40 or so per jump including gear rental. That was over ten years ago mind!
snow conditions
I did a 13,000' tandem parachute jump a few years ago - quite interesting Smile

The guy taking me was a current 'Red Devil' at the time.

I think what spoiled it for me was keeping myself 'under control'. I just walked to the edge of the plane, looked out and went - no trepidation, no nerves, nothing Sad
I expected the 'fear' to come through but maybe I was just being too analytical.

The fall was interesting but not that thrilling - again I suspect I'd have had a lot more fun if I'd been screaming Wink

Once he deployed the 'chute we went into some fast spirals (naughty apparently!) that had us at a fair angle from the vertical (hard to estimate exactly what) - heck of a G-force though!

Landing was cool too - feet up and roll if I recall.

Well worth doing but not hobby material - far too tame Cool
snow conditions
After my first static line jump I really did have a strange understanding of why some people are driven to take drugs to get the feeling that I was having.
I was as high as a kite on adrenaline...totally buzzing...never experienced such a high before or since.

The other strange thing was that there was no sensation of height (and I don't really enjoy heights, I mange OK, but don't really enjoy). Without something dwindling away beneath you to give perpective if was as if the "real world" ended at my toes and the landscape below was somehow not real, a fantastic tableau laid out for me to enjoy. Until the final ground rush that is.

Parachuting is something everybody who likes skiing would probably enjoy. Well almost everybody...
ski holidays
I've recently added skydiving and BASE jumping to my 'I REALLY want to do it' list. Any one got up to date quotes for the cost of learning to sky dive in Europe?

Edit: Given this its own thread in Apres to avoid ruining the current Bobsleigh theme........
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=28246&highlight=

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 18-07-07 15:45; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Mmmm base jumping mmmmm
snow conditions
Did the one near Igls just outside Inssbruck, worth doing if you get the chance snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy