Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gout Has struck!

Poster: A snowHead
Having got to the wrong side of 50 I find that I am now suffering occasional flare -ups of gout.
I am worried that ski boots will make the situation worse.
Have any other SH's suffered the same and what have they done about it?

Medical advice has been sought from my GP and we are "in process" of deciding the longer term managment of the condition etc...

(let us please lay off the cracks about abstaining from Port wine and rare steaks......that is all old wives tales....unless you drink a bottle a day and eat a cow a week!)
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bryan, I'm not quite reached my half century, but I'm beginning to find that old football and (especially) cricket injuries are catching up with me. Getting older is a pain in the @rse (well, fingers, wrist and back, so far).
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bryan, sorry to hear that, bloody painful isn't it? Gout is caused by the precipitation of uric acid crystals in the joints, usually the big toe joint first but then anywhere around the body. The crystals are needle shaped when looked at under bifringent microscopy and that accounts for the exquisite tenderness.

The main precipitant after the ususal risk factor of a familial tendency to high uric acid levels in the blood is dehydration , which of course does rleate to activity and alcohol - both part of the skiing phenomenon. Its also more likely if you have a cold, or eat foods high in purines e.g Liver,Offal, Anchovies, Fish roes, Herring, Mackerel, Sardines, Beer, Yeast extracts (e.g. Marmite). The uric acid is a breakdown product of cell turnover, particularly blood cells.

As far as I'm aware warmth and compression are not risk factors for gout so the boots should not really make much difference, its the systemic factors that are important. Your GP will talk you through lowering uric acid levels by diet or a drug called allopurinol, and the 2 groups of drugs you can take to alleviate an attack once started. More info here
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
My brother in law had some bad gout flare-ups, when he could really scarcely walk and was in terrible pain. He was very worried about ski boots though his gout had been sorted out fairly well before his ski holiday. He was OK, though we were careful and took one of his boots to have the shell stretched in a place which he felt might cause trouble. I have not suffered from gout (yet) but I do sometimes have quite painful arthritic toes. But with me, the more flexible and soft the shoes, the worse the arthritis can be - with my feet held in ski boots which rule out any question of bending those painful toe joints, they are fine (other problems might arise, but not the arthritis!). There are different kinds of gouts and treatment - worth researching, I'd say, unless you have a GP who is particularly interested in it and au fait with all the latest treatments and research. We have a neighbour who had a terrible flare, took the pills, and never had another moment's trouble, but it isn't necessarily always like that and my brother in law's case was quite different.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bryan, my problem and it only started in my 50's, are bunions on my feet. Interestingly, I don't get the problem during ski season when my feet are neately packaged most days, in confort foam liners. Soon as the season finishes they flare up. So a great solution for bunion sufferers, is a pair of Atomic B100's with Conformable foam liners and worn at all times. Not so good in bed!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Bryan, you could have the shell of the boot stretched a little over the problem area to relieve pressure should the boot feel like it is pressing, otherwise as others have said the compact fit of a ski boot should hold the foot neatly and as there is no flexion at the toe joints the problem should be minimized
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm wondering if my tight climbing shoes may cause future problems. F*** it.. climbing's too much fun Twisted Evil
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

have the shell of the boot stretched a little over the problem area

The trouble with gout is it flits from joint to joint, unless there are tophi developing, which are solid chalky lumps just under the skin.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bryan,, most people seem to get it badly in just their first metotarsophalangeal joints of their feets. Ankles, knees and hands less common. I can only think of one patient I have seen recently with tophi. Diagnosis often pretty obvious when they walk in slippers. So I would be a bit more positive, but agree with all Martin's suggestions above, providing it is really gout. The 1st MTPJ is a frequent first site for osteoarthritis, and that can also bug up boot fitting a bit and responds to some of the same medication, but doesn't usually get as excruciatingly red and tender as gout.

The UK gout society has good information, and I give their diet sheets out. Do consider getting your cholesterol, triglycerides and blood sugar tested, Gout is seems more frequent in those with "metabolic syndrome" and diabetes.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Martin Nicholas, creating a small amount of extra space in the toe box is what i meant rather than a specific bunion stretch, mind you having read the post directly after the one from chris who has bunions i can see why you thought that.... overall width , height in that area just to stop the foot being constricted too much Little Angel
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thank you to all the professional folk and others who have been so reassuring..and helpful.

I will look forward to continuing an active life style which will include some skiing (at least for a few more years).....the ankles, knees and hips are all fine at the moment!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bryan wrote:
Thank you to all the professional folk and others who have been so reassuring..and helpful.

I will look forward to continuing an active life style which will include some skiing (at least for a few more years).....the ankles, knees and hips are all fine at the moment!
Bryan, Like you I have an occasioanal flare up of gout. Drinking plenty of water helps and anti inflammatories relieve the swelling quickly. I have not found ski boots affect it at all. I play squash and the exercise seems to help. Organic cider vinegar (taken in dry ginger or tonic) is supposed to be a natural cure. I have been taking it but I am not sure if it helps or not but I will persevere for a while. You have my sympathy, I hope these comments help
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bryan, I have been unfortunate enough to suffer from gout since my 20s, which I'm told is very early to start suffering, and since then both my dad and sister have suffered as well. It generally flares up in the ball joint of my left foot, although I have also had flare ups in both ankles aswell. Fortunately I can usually recognise when a flare up is starting (rather than just aches and pains), although on my first ski trip 18 months ago my boots were so uncomfortable I missed the signs and had a nasty flare up to contend with as well as uncomfortable boots (and all the other aches and pains that come from a first week on skis). Usually I can head off a bad flare up by promptly taking some fairly strong prescribed anti inflamatories as long as I twig that a flare up is on the way.

With regard to skiing, I think the main thing to be aware of is possible dehydration, as this may trigger a flare up. The likely combination of alcohol and day long exercise that is usually associated with skiing holidays can easily lead to dehydration, which may result in a flare up, so even more reason when skiing to ensure you drink plenty of water.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bryan, mr. rpft started to get gout in his 20's. He didn't know what it was - but was diagnosed mid-30's & given allopurinol (as per Martin Nicholas, ) and the spread of the attacks stopped - the drug is v. good. He has had it in toes & feet and lastly wrists. I'm just trying to say, don't worry yourself about continual decline - into the hips & knees etc because the drugs seem to control it. I would say that matt occasionally gets twinges - only ever when he's damaged something - turned an ankle over - but to stop the twinges he doesn't eat pork or shellfish, which we are pretty certain makes it worse (for him) & drinks loads of water. The other thing which brings on twinges for him, is when he has a tummy bug - but personally I think this is because he starves himself of everything but water. Does it everytime. I expect everyone has different trigger foods, or behaviours. Good luck with it.

johnnyboy, allopurinol!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rpft, I took it for a number of years, and haven't for a number of years, and the frequency of my attacks hasn't really changed. On that basis, I prefer not to take it.
snow report
johnnyboy, Lucky you! I Don't think matt would dare stop rolling eyes

stoatsbrother, your comment about the extra tests is interesting.
snow conditions
My hubby had gout attacks for a number of years as well as kidney stones too. He used to treat gout attacks with an anti inflammatory called rheumox. Eventually, really because of the problems with the kidney stones, which were getting trapped in a narrowing he has in one ureter, the urologist decided he should be on preventative treatment if possible. He had the last lot of stones analysed, and was pleased to discover a high uric acid content. Hubby was put on allopurinol, which he still takes and I hate to say it, tempting fate and all that, but it seems to have done the trick.
snow conditions
NewSkier, ow ow ow - poor hubby Shocked
ski holidays
rpft, I only stopped because I was away from home for a period and hadn't renewed my prescription. Not taken it for about 7 years now, and wouldn't say I've had any more flare ups in that time than the previous 7 or so when I was taking it. Once I am sure I have a flare up on the way a day or 2 of taking Indomethacin seems to prevent it developing too badly; that is something I always make sure I take with me when I travel now.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy