Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why is it colder at altitude ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm just curious.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'll have a guess that the thinner atmosphere provides less insulation?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Megamum, have you been reading wikipedia again Wink
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Many children might comment shouldn't it be warmer on the mountain as you are nearer the sun, you might be but the odd km out of millions isn't going to make much odds.

Surface heating due to solar warming drives convection in the lower atmosphere, warm air rises, but as you rise through the atmosphere air pressure drops as you get higher. As the warm pocket of air rises the lower pressure allows it to expand and thus cool (look up gas laws), incidently this cooling of gas as it expands from a compressed state is utilised in high pressure air/water snow making guns. As the warm air rises, the parcel of air gains gravitational potential energy, according to the laws of physics energy can neither be created nor destroyed, so this energy has to come from somewhere and that somewhere is the internal thermal energy of the air.

This holds for the troposphere, the lower level of the atmosphere in which we live and weather happens. If mountains went further up well into the stratosphere the temperature would start to rise with altitude, different processes (reactions due to solar radiation) going on here and still not because your closer to the sun!

Google for adiabatic expansion and/or compression, or adiabatic lapse rates. Also for why it isn't always colder at alititude search for 'Temperature Inversions'
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
II, No I haven't wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for making me realise I've forgotten all I was taught in AS level geography..

It was only last year!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Winterhighland,

Thank the Lord for adibiatic expansion. Where would we be without it, that's what I wanna know! Laughing wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
micky, 1 degree C per 100 metres in dry air , 0.5degree in wet air. quite significant if you are staying in a low resort and then skiing at the top....
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Red Leon wrote:
Winterhighland,

Thank the Lord for adibiatic expansion. Where would we be without it, that's what I wanna know! Laughing wink

Living on the warm mountains and skiing on the frozen lowlands? Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy