Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Getting back...

Poster: A snowHead
in to skiing...I'm struggling.

Okay so for the past couple of years I have been in to dry slope skiing (and holidays on snow!). I was in a club who trained twice a week doing slalom training and technique training who, then ''dissolved'', should I say. I was doing the summer race leagues and getting persistently better times which made me very pleased, but after the league stopped I found it difficult to attend club sessions. Obviously because the last club I was with no longer train, I joined the other club who train at the slope, but they didn't do much in the way of training. Just stuck some poles up and get on with it kinda thing. I couldn't really tackle the courses they put up and without any help found it difficult, so didn't attend many.

I went on holiday to France in February and just couldn't ski as I hadn't skied even on plastic for around 6 months and just completely lost confidence.

Then in March, I tripped over a slalom pole (whilst skiing!!) and injured my arm quite badly, which has knocked my confidence even more.

Now I'm really unsure what to do as I really miss the skiing!

Does anyone have any tips as to how I can get back in to it all?

Thanks and sorry for the long post.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Vixxy, Lessons with a good instructor should sort you out, oh and Welcome to snowheads.
Because of the strong bias on snowheads towards instruction I sometimes forget how little value some people putr on lessons.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Vixxy, welcome to snowHeads

I agree with Frosty the Snowman re the lessons.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Vixxy, welcome to snowheads!

Are you really into racing? if so there are a lot who post here who might be able to suggest a good slope to go to if you say roughly where you live.

If something seems just like hard work, and you lose confidence, there can seem no point in doing it. Perhaps try and work out what it is you like about skiing and then concentrate on that?

This year I will be practicing powder, and the appreciation of patisserie
Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the replies guys Very Happy

Yeah, I will aim to have some lessons.

I really enjoyed doing slalom, so I'd like to get back on poles!

I'm in the Manchester area. Ski Rossendale is where I used to go. I'm within easy reach of Castleford, and of course Chill Factor when it opens. If they have a club there I will be very interested in joining!

I know Lions train at Castleford but being that I have to work on Sundays, I think attending their sessions would push me for time! I live about an hours drive away, so...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
stoatsbrother wrote:
...This year I will be practicing powder...

let us know when, i'd like some too...

Welcome Vixxy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
parlor, I will have some shipped over the Atlantic to you!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Vixxy, Welcome. Have you thought about Pendle http://www.pendleskiclub.org.uk/.
Not far from Rossendale and very active race club.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Vixxy, drop a line to vivski. She's been racing in the Rossendale league this summer, and CNs and GPs too. She did make an aside about not being entirely happy with her club though, so it may be worth putting your heads together. We tend to report our (lack of Wink ) success this summer here.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
GrahamN, off-topic, but I've just read your race reports. They're terrific! I'd never race, but they still make excellent reading. (I really admire someone who can hold my interest in a subject I know and care little about: a notable example of a writer who can do this for me is Simon Barnes, whatever sport or hobby - birds - he is writing about, is a riveting read.) I shall dip into your race thread again, thanks.

Vixxy, welcome to snowHeads!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
gsb, Pendle takes about an hour from Manchester. It is nearer than Castleford but slower roads.

Vixxy, Depending on which side of Manchester you are from you could look at Stoke. Snowsports seem to be closed for the summer, but they may be the club that will train at Chill Factore.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm from the side of Manchester near Lancashire, about 10 miles from Rossendale.

Yeah I know of Pendle, but lookinhg at the standard of them I was afraid I'd feel out of my depth! Embarassed

I'll take a look at Stoke. I looked at Snowsports - they train at Runcorn? I thought that had closed down? Puzzled
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Vixxy, Welcome to the mad house. Take it from me, it is daunting to train with a bunch of good, very good and excellent, all younger, all talented skiers at race training night Embarassed .
But, but, but, they aren't monsters and if you show any level of committment they will help you and take real pleasure in your rapid progress. You're not in the way, you don't annoy them so why should being totally out classed bother them or you.
I'm the worst in the club and the worst snowhead by miles but wouldn't miss a session or a race for the world Very Happy Very Happy .
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Vixxy, Welcome to snowHead 's, it sounds like you just need to find a club (or a like minded group of friends) to get into that regular training to regain the confidence in your skiing. How about joining Kendal Ski Club , about an hour away from you, very friendly club with some great instructors.

And why not come and join in the fun on Saturday at Castleford, more details here.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Vixxy, welcome to the site and I hope you find a suitable club soon. For me, it was a fall backwards on icy morning slopes (first week) and a knock to the back of the noggin. About thirty minutes later I was terrified of turning the ski down the hill on a steeper section of blue.

I persevered and at the end of last season ticked off all the open black runs in Val Thorens in my fourth week, including the mogul fields Very Happy

Stick with it!

Oh and I'm with stoatsbrother on the Patisserie Appreciation Society Wink
latest report
Vixxy, get yourself down to your local snow dome, strap on some skis and have some FUN....... No pressure, no kids, no instructor, no gates, ski for an hour and have a coffee. look at yourself in a mirror and if you see a big cheesy grin you have cracked it..... then go and get a lesson, ski some gates, etc...

welcome to snowHead snowHead
latest report
Vixxy,

Chill Factore opens in November and is going to have an excellent ski school - they have two BASI 1s on board already, and more have applied. There are several clubs who are planning to train there.
snow report
Hurtle, why, thank you very much. I'm always a bit worried it all sounds a bit long-winded and self-obsessed, but glad you enjoy the read.

Vixxy, sounds like you have a few ideas to check out there - hope it works out.
snow report
GrahamN, yes, there's a fine line between long-winded self-obsession and infectious enthusiasm - you fall (fall? shurely shome mishtake) the right side of it, IMO.
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
long-winded self-obsession

Not that we've ever seen any of that on snowHeads! Toofy Grin
snow report
Thanks for all the replies Smile

Let you know how I get on!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy