Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which Tranceiver?

Poster: A snowHead
Looking at buying a tranceiver been a little put off by the prices and have used borrowed guides equipment. I feel I should now have my own and does it matter which one I get?

http://www.sport-conrad.com/Liste_LVS.asp?kat_id=35&set=chck3erSet&set_type_id=LSS

Any thoughts?

Had sort of decided on the BCA Tracker at 200 euros which sounds a good price to me.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
lots of other threads about this on here..........i'm only a novice in transceiver use but have found the BCA easy to use

if the Richmond Park session is repeated this year come and join us!

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 13-07-07 10:10; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mammut Pulse.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The Pulse is supposed to be the 'hot ticket'.

I've got two Trackers & they're very easy to use. The features I particularly like is that it doesn't require the user to hear any audio signal (& no earpiece required) & that I don't need to wear my reading specs to see the big/bright read-out. It also has a very good multiple search feature. The latest model Tracker dispenses with the 'holster' & the harness clicks directly to the unit which is better than the original model that I have. 200 euros is a bargain for a Tracker.

In reality all the models do the job & it's probably down to how practiced the user is when the $hit hits the fan, however I believe the Tracker to be easier to use than all the other models available - although I've not seen or tried a Pulse.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just remembered that I have had a go with the Pulse rolling eyes.

On a Warren Smith course in Jan my group (six of us + Warren) did a transceiver practice session were we had all the current models to try. Only two us & Warren had had some transceiver practice. We did plenty of exercises (single & multiple buries out to about 80m), swapping the different models around the group so everyone had a go with each model.

The Tracker was undoubtedly easier & therefore faster to use by all the students in the group. I was still faster with my Tracker than when I used the Pulse, although I only had one go with it & it was unfamiliar to me.

On pure speed of use, Warren was waaay quicker than any of us, irrespective of which unit he was using - which points back to the practice element. Warren's personal transceiver was a Pulse.

BTW, we were just off-piste on a good red run gradient & we were really putting ourselves under pressure time wise & I was amazed just how physically knackering the excerise was.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Some info on the Trackers

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5267366463206625436

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2979784279657145145

click on [cc] on the bottom left for English subtitles.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7478392676777497157
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mammut Pulse. In my BASI off piste course, people with these were quickest, particularly for multiple burials. But it's whichever's easiest for you. Ideally try a few and buy whicever you personally find easiest.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Although it was by no means a rigourous test, when a bunch of us tried out several transceivers in Richmond Park last year the Pulse seemed to me to be the easiest/quickest to use for multiple burials. The ability to 'mark' a victim and then move on to search for another transceiver seemed to be the one feature which really distinguished it from the other units being tested. When searching for just one victim it seemed at least as good as the other units (eg Tracker, F1, X1) in terms of range and easy of use.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
beanie1, was the mountain safety course pass fail? i am thinking of doing the jan one in courchevel this year.

I've got a tracker as it seemed kinda like the defacto standard
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Our policy on selling transceivers is this: If you've every used one in the past, buy that one. It's already engrained in your mind and your referance, this way you advoid confusion when using in a real life situation. Otherwise 'Pulse'. For reasons outlined above, time is the enemy. Again, prevention is the key!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skimottaret,

Yes it is. First 4 days training, last 2 days assessment. They do not assume you have any prior experience, although a bit of background reading first would help, and try to get some practice with navigation if you've not done any before. There is no technical ski training, but you are assessed on personal riding performance - ie that you can ski / board / tele safely and in control in all conditions you might come across. You are also assessed on personal fitness.

I think all 20 or so doing it at the same time as me passed, although people do fail it.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
beanie1, thanks for the heads up. i hadnt heard of anyone failing thats why i asked. sounds like a lot of fun and those i talked to that took it really enjoyed the course...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
At the end of April I was with a group and we did a multiple (6) burial, the Pulse was by far the best and quickest. We had the latest offering from Ortovox (pre-production) which is suposed to rival the Pulse, however the operating manual is about 4 x the size of the tranceiver, more a computer than a tranceiver, IMHO far too complicated for a panic situation.

Intrestingly my old Pieps found all the "bodies" but one I spent ages trying to get a good fix on, the pulse was brought in and identified that the "body" was buried 1.9m down, I had in the past only ever practiced with "bodies" buried about 30cm below the surface, a real eye opener.

Pulse if you can afford it.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Our policy on selling transceivers is this: If you've every used one in the past, buy that one. It's already engrained in your mind and your referance, this way you advoid confusion when using in a real life situation. Otherwise 'Pulse'. For reasons outlined above, time is the enemy. Again, prevention is the key!

sounds like a very sensible, excellent policy !!!!!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
chrise1967,

I want you to have a pulse just in case one day I'm skiing with you! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
What happened to all that hoo-haa about the switch on the Pulse?
snow conditions
veeeight, I don't know, ask colinmcc next time you are in Whistler, he started it all wink
snow conditions
Might be a silly question. Is there only one brand of pulse?
snow conditions
i think it's the name for Mammut's latest transceiver
ski holidays
veeeight,
Quote:

What happened to all that hoo-haa about the switch on the Pulse?

It was rubbish IMO. User error, you're more likely to forget to put the batteries in.
snow conditions
I have the Tracker - and from practice with it feel that I have a reasonable chance of finding one or more buried victims, if the worst comes to the worst. To say the least, I sincerely never have to prove the point
ski holidays
Another vote for the Pulse.
latest report
 brian
brian
I've got a tracker which is dead simple and intuitive. I think there's a new triple antenna version of it coming out, hence the bargain prices on the dual antenna model.
snow conditions
I have the Mammut Barryvox, simple and comfortable/
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy