Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Next winters forecast

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
|The Met office have published their experimental long range prediction for winter 2007/8 (December - March) based on a model of North Atlantic Oscillation.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/research/seasonal/regional/nao/index.html

They expect a weakly negative NAO which should mean weaker westerlies and therefore the possibility of more northerlies and easterlies, which tend to be good news for the eastern highlands and to a lesser extent the north pennines. However it could also mean warm southerlies!

On average negative NAO means cooler weather in northern europe. At least they expect it to be cooler and drier than last winter but warmer overall than the 30 year average 1971 - 2000.

However in southern europe it may not be great news since a negative NAO tends to be associated with wamer and wetter winters. That could be good news for high resorts but less welcome for low or southerly stations.

However the METO warn that this method isn't accurate and last year their early prediction of an average winter was later changed to a warmer than average winter and that is certainly what we got.

Its probably too earlyto book a holiday on the strength of this information but in the UK at least the signs are more encouraging for at least some good skiing before next March. Laughing
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think it's also encouraging that after an long run of above average months, some absurdly so like April, that the CET (Central England Temperature Index) is currently 1.5c BELOW average for July. This summer might suck as far as summers go, but it's good to see that temperatures can be below average after a winter where the temperature flat-lined at absurdly above average levels.

I'd hazzard a Guess that the highest temperature in the North and Central Highlands this year remains those recorded at the end of April! Shocked
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Winterhighland, I remember sunbathing in the garden in April and noticing that the trees had no leaves! Not been warm and sunny enough to do that since.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
^ Yup, it now seems absurdly cool but I'd hazard we'll see some hotter days in August - it can't go on like this can it!?!

Oh well, at least those highland snowpatches might survive through to winter Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
They just don't know what's going to happen.

I sat through a presentation in May about predicted gas prices through the summer, as well as gas flows from Norway to the continent etc. there was a section from weather experts for the summer ahead...remember this was May...and they were still predicting above average temperatures and below average rainfall for the summer months of June, July and August Shocked .
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
But in scotland june was 0.8C above average (the 61-90 average). Though I have noticed a remarkably large amount of winds with a northerly component here in aberdeen over this none summer - presumably if we'd had similar synoptics over the winter we'd be having great skiing conditions?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:
Yet again people felt it was cool but the temperatures were actually still nearly a degree above the long-term averages

WWF spouting off IMO, because such an overcast month actually has a high probablity of being above average in temperature stakes because it kills the diurnal range. The day time max temperatures haven't been above normal, indeed the max daytime temperature recorded in June i'd suspect is pretty poor for the North of Scotland.

The Long, Hot and Dry summer of 2006 was down to Global warming and this was what the models show, the Big Flood summer of 2007 is down to Global Waming and is consistent with the models. They can't be wrong can they when everything is down to global warming. Basically Get to Be Nice please!!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
For scotland from the metoffice June was 0.8C above the long term average, but the june average max temperature was over 1C below the longterm average and the sunshien was exceptionally below average for NE scotland. Still hoping for a good winter this year.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Winterhighland, climate change.. global warming is sooo last hot summer
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just been talking to Barry Grommet at the Met Office. He's warned that the areas most affected by the NAO, for which the latest prediction has been made, are northern and eastern Europe. It still affects the UK and western Europe, but the impact is likely to be less pronounced.

La Nina is suddenly looking less likely now too...Just posted a short item about it at http://www.welove2ski.com/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=201&id=28

And thanks, Peter S, for the heads up!!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks Sean.

Something more positive to think about during this miserable summer.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy