Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

webbing ski carry straps?

Poster: A snowHead
im fairly sure ive seen them somewhere but cant rember where and my attempts to search the net hasnt really helped...

does anyone know where i can get some straps that have a handle and go around the ski's to make carrying to and from the slope easier? preferably in the UK

something like

[/url]
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
beasty1711, S&R used to sell them - they've gone out of fashion a bit recently. You could try using your ski poles to carry the skis.
Put the poles tip to tail, then feed one strap through the tip of the skis, and one through the tails. Carry your skis by the poles.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
beasty1711, We have a longer version of the one in your picture bought from Snow&Rock a few years ago. It has two loops that close with velcro to go around the skis joined by a sling that is meant to go over your shoulder. It turned out to be more of a faff (phaff?) than it was worth, so now lives unused at the back of a cupboard.

WTFH's suggestion is a good one that needs no expense either.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wear The Fox Hat, anyone doing that is instantly recognisable as a member of an English school party.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lizzard, I'm not saying it's a good idea, just that it's an idea. (personally, I don't like skis being carried at a low level, because then you have to look down as you're walking to make sure you don't walk into someone carrying them)

Over the shoulder, tips held down with a little pressure from your arm, tails pointing high into the air - it's the way I do it.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 12-07-07 9:46; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Are you s all saying that some folks don't do ski in - ski out wink

Over the shoulder if a long distance.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wear The Fox Hat, mind you, it could be better than sticking them over your shoulder and then appearing to forget that you're carrying them, thereby initiating various 'hilarious' Laurel & Hardy style man-carrying-plank incidents.

Bloody tourists. Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Carry straps are for gapers wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
....and losers wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
http://www.beansonline.co.uk/acatalog/BeansOnline_Accessories_22.html
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
spyderjon wrote:
Carry straps are for gapers wink

Couldn't work out if this was a facetious question either.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
Lizzard, ....

Over the shoulder, tips held down with a little pressure from your arm, tails pointing high into the air - it's the way I do it.

Used to be the comfortable way to carry them until they become so much shorter. Ruined the balance according to the man who carries mine. wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
beasty1711, A guy contacted me in the Spring who's producing a new design of ski carrier. If you pm me I can give you his email address.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
beasty1711, we've got ski slings pockets that work even better than straps
http://www.skisling.com/ski1.htm
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob and sharon, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Love it!

I am useless at carrying skis, I usually carry them on the shoulder but then they twist apart, then I have a go at carrying them under one arm, then across my front in two arms. If I remember I put a velcro strap aroudn them but still find it awkward.

I suspect you will have a sale (but can't do it from work)......
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Are you s all saying that some folks don't do ski in - ski out wink

Over the shoulder if a long distance.

People need to carry Ski's Shocked
snow report
rob and sharon wrote:
beasty1711, we've got ski slings pockets that work even better than straps
http://www.skisling.com/ski1.htm

We've got those, got suckered into them at a ski show. I've used mine once and now its gathering dust in my ski drawer. If anyone wants it (in black) I'll gladly send it to them for free! Very Happy
latest report
cathy, I think we have the forerunner as it doesn't have the pocket, ours are in red pm me, free to a good home Toofy Grin
ski holidays
cathy wrote:
......We've got those, got suckered into them at a ski show......

Laughing. There's one born everyday wink

I left my mate to go for a wander at the ski show & when I came back he was just about to part with his money for one. "NO".
latest report
spyderjon, Toofy Grin You know when you feel you should go home with something to show for the day and the entry money, other than all those leaflets & assorted junk that get binned as soon as you get home Madeye-Smiley
snow report
boredsurfin, you mean yours is just a piece of string? And you paid for that? Toofy Grin
snow report
cathy, It was a very very long time a go at the ski show. I think the equipment editor of Ski and board had reccomended them Laughing wink
latest report
boredsurfin, ah - did it double up as an avalanche cord? Toofy Grin
latest report
The thing is they work, so we like them.

We too bought them at the ski show and i've now used them a few times. makes carrying skis a whole lot easier Smile
snow report
Nick W wrote:

Used to be the comfortable way to carry them until they become so much shorter. Ruined the balance according to the man who carries mine. wink

No, no, they fixed that by making the bindings heavier.
latest report
Quote:

I usually carry them on the shoulder but then they twist apart,

I used to be able to carry them on the shoulder with the old style "straight" skis. The "shaped" skis all have big curved bottom and side the two planks don't stay together!

If the walk is really long (e.g. MSB, with little snow near the village on day 1), a velcro is the best solution. That is, if you remember to have it along with you (I didn't Sad ).
latest report
Oh good grief people, this is getting nearly as silly as the 'ooh aren't chairlifts terrifying' thread. Stick the bloody things on your shoulder and carry them about, same as everyone else you see in resort. It's not rocket science.
snow conditions
I've mastered the skis on the shoulder thing - though when I fist started skiing I remember thinking how heavy the rotten things were. My kids have more problems - their shoulders seem smaller relative to the rest of their frame than adults and they seem to find the skis on shoulder thing harder. I did think next year that I might try the tying them together with velcro thing for them. Lizzard, I'm sorry, but although I'll now ride on one (haven't done it with skis yet) chairlifts are still a tad scarey wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum wrote:,
Quote:

although I'll now ride on one (haven't done it with skis yet)

How did you get off? My wife did that once and ended up getting run over by the chairlift.

snowHead
ski holidays
Lizzard, I think you are like my wife: 28 days on, 4 days off.
latest report
Lizzard, Laughing Laughing Quite right!
snow report
Sage, Err......didn't seem that difficult......... I got up and ran forwards the chair went round the corner of the lift and back down again. Was it a trick question?
latest report
Megamum wrote:
I've mastered the skis on the shoulder thing - though when I fist started skiing I remember thinking how heavy the rotten things were. My kids have more problems - their shoulders seem smaller relative to the rest of their frame than adults and they seem to find the skis on shoulder thing harder. I did think next year that I might try the tying them together with velcro thing for them. Lizzard, I'm sorry, but although I'll now ride on one (haven't done it with skis yet) chairlifts are still a tad scarey wink

so how do you get your skis up, do you employ a sherpa??
ski holidays
Megamum wrote:,
Quote:

Was it a trick question?

No Very Happy I was just thinking of the drop that is normally at the end of a chairlift to allow you to ski off, a bit tricky with no skis on.

snowHead
snow report
I've got the carry strap from S&R - I don't bother with it most of the time, not for just a quick walk from car or chalet to the gondola, but for longer walks they are great. e.g did the Vallee Banche in April, had to walk across the rocks at the bottom and climb the 200-odd steps up to the cog railway. Strap was great, meant I had my hands free for holding rail, balancing, playing with camera, picking nose...... Toofy Grin I left everyone, including our very fit guide, trailing behind.
ski holidays
As the straps almost invariably have a smaller width of contact with your shoulder and the skis still weigh the same, I cannot see the point. Once you learn to carry tips down with shoulder in front of the toe bindings, there is no problem. You can always use a Velcro strap around the skis to stop them separating. I am far from being very fit, but can carry 2 pairs like this without problems. All the carriers I have looked at remind me of rejects from "Dragons Den"
latest report
stoatsbrother wrote:
.........All the carriers I have looked at remind me of rejects from "Dragons Den"

Cool

Laughing
latest report
stoatsbrother wrote:
but can carry 2 pairs like this without problems.

I've done up to 4 pairs whilst also carrying poles but it wasn't pretty and I did have trouble on some of the blue terrain; the contact point is irrelevant for those of us whose jacket epaulettes are rubberized Kevlar.
ski holidays
No1 son has a nice ski carrier on his Decathlon backpack.A pocket drops out of the base of the pack...into which you insert the tails...then you strap the skis to two ties on the top of the pack.You end up with both skis behind you well out of the way.Works well..though awkward on your own.Nice pack actually,with built in back protector etc.

Ski straps..been there..waste of time..consigned to bin long ago Toofy Grin
latest report
snowskisnow, yep same on my Da Kine Heli Pro. And you do get slope cred points for carrying skis that way.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy