Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Solden - the good, the bad and the ugly . . .

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I was unabe to secure a New Year booking for Obertauern, so opted for a Solden instead. We are a small group of both skiers and boarders with an age range of 21 - 52 who enjoy Austrian Apres - I have hardly seen Solden mentioned on this site and would be interested to hear from any sHs who have been, and for their recommendations of where to go for both Mountain food and Apres etc to suit both the youngsters and us oldies. snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
So it's true - you do ski Shocked wink That Zorro has a lot to answer for!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
IncogSkiSno, Looking at the title I presume you are taking Boredsmurfin & Ray Zorro with you
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Red Leon, Laughing

Frosty the Snowman, Laughing which one is bad and which is ugly ?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
IncogSkiSno, Looks like New Year in France again for us then ... and I so wanted to try Austria wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
IncogSkiSno, we were there in january and enjoyed excellent conditions when many other resorts had little or no snow. The resort has skiing that goes over 3000m in three places with excellent viewing platforms at all three. Obviously at this altitute you are skiing above the treeline so it is not a typical Austrian resort where you are crusing on gentle pistes through the trees. The majority of the runs are reds, the non glacial reds are genuine reds while the glacial skiing is easy despite several of the runs being classed as reds. The few blacks are not too difficult although the blacks into the resort from both main sectors can have a lot of traffic on them.

The apres ski is excellent, Philipp's on the run down into town at Ausserwald it lively from 3-30ish and you can take a lift down from there, Bla Bla's and Marco's both on the main street are busy when the lifts close. Later on Snow & Rock, Harleys/Otzi Alm are good places. Kuhstall was decent at times, there are several other bars and hotels bars I cant remember the name of and Rodelhutte is a better than average (or so my mates told me wink ) lapdancing bar, there are 2 others!

Mountain huts are generally good, ones I can remember are Heidialm & Alpengastof, both at Gaislachalm. You need to take a skiroute but it is not difficult, the weakest skier in our party managed it easily. Eugans Obstlerhutte at Hochsolden on run 21 was excellent. I'm not generally a fan of self service huts but there was a very varied and enjoyable menu at Schwarzakogel on run 24 on the way back from the glaciar runs.

Obergurgl is just up the road and is well worth a day trip, taxi prices are reasonable and on Monday's, Wednesday's and Friday's the apres ski in the Nederhutte is excellent, many beers and a ski down in the dark (or skidoo ride) to waiting taxi Cool

Drawbacks to the resort are the fact it is not pretty, the main road runs right through the middle of the resort and at least in january the resort attracts a high number of Russians.

I went to Obertauern in March this year and good although it is, I would choose Solden every time.

Hope this is of help.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Agenterre, NehNeh

scraggsy, Oh thanks for that, I feel reasonably happy especially with the last comment. I was expecting a lot of Dutch, but not Russians. Shocked Confused
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
IncogSkiSno, Looking at the title I presume you are taking Boredsmurfin & Ray Zorro with you
I'm not sure if I feel left out or much relived at that thought Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Masque, Laughing I'd have to change the title to: the good, the bad, the ugly and the positively evil Twisted Evil

BTW forgot to mention to get the bargain price of £646 pp all-in, we are staying in a Hotel that has a nightclub underneath Madeye-Smiley Laughing
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
£646 pp all-in
we are staying in a Hotel that has a nightclub underneath

Definitely not sleeping then Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
IncogSkiSno, Was last there in 1987 so cannot comment much about where to eat etc. The skiing was good and as others have said it is a high resort and snow sure. The village is not the prettiest as the resort runs along the valley with a busy main road through the middle of it.

snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
boredsurfin, nope - 'cos it will be us making all the noise Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
IncogSkiSno, Are you staying at the Tyrolerhof?

If so, the club underneath (Lawine) was my group's favourite haunt in Solden.

You should have a great time in Solden - in fact I would have gone back sooner if I hadn't discovered Ischgl.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stephen bleakley, No, we are staying at the Alpenland Hotel*** - Neilsons are the TO. We would have gone to Ischgl if we could have afforded it, but we will get there one day Toofy Grin
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy