Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

St. Jean D'aulps, anyone been? How easy to avoriaz, morzine, les gets?

Poster: A snowHead
Linking it to Abondance would never work.... a lot of miles (flat and vertical) between the two. I think the only logical link point would be down from the top of StJA to the Col De L'Encrenaz to get you onto the list at the back of Mont Chery... but still then a pain to get onto LG proper.

One of StJA's best features is that its often quieter and gives a good half day somewhere different. We sometimes use it on days we are leaving early for the airport....
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
under a new name wrote:
@Gillesski,
Quote:

Does it have good powder?

... every 2nd Tuesday between January and March.

I meant good freeride possibilities...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Gillesski, every 2nd Tuesday ...

I mean, if you mean off piste, I believe so, but all sub 1,790m it's a lucky day to catch them, non?

Some nice rando routes though, not that I am an expert.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
pdsguy wrote:
Linking it to Abondance would never work.... a lot of miles (flat and vertical) between the two.

Oh, I wasn't suggesting it would be a good ski route/not have significant environmental impact, just that there are already lifts to the top of Pointe des Follys and Roc de Bretelaire on the Abondance side and dropping over the 'other' side puts you into a valley that runs down to (the wrong side of) St Jean.

Of course make the top bit a black, then have miles and miles of flat track along the valley floor and you might be able to take the "Longest (and dullest) black run" title away from Alpe d'Huez! wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@under a new name, The real plus is that when there is nice powder it does not get tracked out at St Jean as quickly as other places because :
1 - fewer people there
2 - families and mixed abilities
3 - powder hounds head to Happy Valley / Satellite / Chery Nord / VdM / Savolaire / Pt De L'Au / Chesery / Morgins Forest / Les Crosets etc..
So you can get up there late morning and there's still swathes of untracked stuff to go at.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@WindOfChange, yeah, so I've heard.

But equally, an early start and you can always still find stuff round Nyon or Linga or Cherie Nord ... to the extent that in 28 years of visiting regularly I've never skied StJd'A. I mean, it's nowhere as bad as Cham snowHead
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I used to love the Terche on a saturday morning. I always used to meet nice people on the lifts. Fab little hut on the loop for an omelette in the sun. Its a hidden gem.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
under a new name wrote:
@WindOfChange, yeah, so I've heard.

But equally, an early start and you can always still find stuff round Nyon or Linga or Cherie Nord ... to the extent that in 28 years of visiting regularly I've never skied StJd'A. I mean, it's nowhere as bad as Cham snowHead

That said even a good week after the last real dump you can still find loads of untouched snow up right next to the pistes around Nyon and up in Avoriaz. Well when I say "you" I mean "your guide" - really quite amazing what 'a bit of local knowlege'/raised from a baby by Marmots and Ermine in a French version of the Jungle Book. "You" can't even find it 2 days later, no matter how many times you ski down the piste looking for that little turn off you all took! Smile
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

I used to love the Terche on a saturday morning. I always used to meet nice people on the lifts. Fab little hut on the loop for an omelette in the sun. Its a hidden gem.

Omelette.......What you want in that hut is a waffle!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Mjit, by “you” I mean “one” i.e. “me” … guide? What guide?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@pdsguy, waffles are for Americans, give me a 12 egg jambon fromage cooked baveuse any day.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Could anyone advise on likely snow quality for first week of January please?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
nick0861 wrote:
Could anyone advise on likely snow quality for first week of January please?

No reason there would be a problem, that's with all the general conditions of any winter.

Seems entirely normal snowfall pattern as anything nearby. Can be fairly warm and sticky later on into end of march as tree lined and not too high.

Can't see any reason to be anything but normal depths in January.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hmm, I would say first week of January can be a little risky for many ski areas (unless there is extensive snowmaking). That's not to say that St Jean d'Aulps would be any worse than any other lowish ski area in the French northern Alps.

It should be fine but if you are unlucky you might be spending more time up at Avoriaz. (Though perhaps you were planning to do that anyway!)
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
You can flip a coin and it can come down heads nine times in a row, but that gives no indication as to what the 10th flip will be. In previous years (including this one) St Jean has had good snow in January.
snow report
As @ski3 says the whole PdS area, including St Jean plan to be open from late December as they expect to have had enough snow/low-enough temeratures to make snow to cover the mountains by that point, so early Jan. should be fine. Of course winter weather if a fickle mistress so it's impossible to say if you'll be skiing 4 week old snow or a fresh dump but there is no reason not to expect snow in St Jean in Jan.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy