Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best Place for a Month of Skiing - November/ December 2007

Poster: A snowHead
Sorry for yet another post asking for advice.

Things are so busy at work at the moment that it looks like I'll not be able to take a summer holiday this year. Which means I'll have about 20 days to take before the New Year. So this got me thinking about spending them all somewhere nice and snowy. I need some advice/recommendations from my fellow snowHeads as to the best place to go to do this. As any of you who have read my previous inane ramblings will know, I have 10 days skiing under my belt and can parallel turn and do the hockey stop but my pole planting is non-existent so my main criteria for a resort would be the following:

It must be snowsure in Nov./Dec.
    The slopes aren't too crowded (I wasn't fussed on the busy pistes in Courchevel - they would have been great with half the amount of people on them though).
    It must have good ski schools (I want to improve and stop any bad habits before they form).
    It must have a good selection of terrain (some easy stuff to progress on but some variation so I don't get bored).
    English must be widely spoken (I have enough French to get by if I have to, but my German is non-existent except to say 'I'm 16 years old' (a lie) and 'I can't speak German' Shocked).
    Must have cheap accommodation that can be rented for between 2 to 4 weeks.
    I am willing to share a room but with no more than 2 or 3 other people.
    Friendly locals would be a plus.

My budget would be in the region of £1200-1500 for accommodation, food, and lift pass. I have no real preference as to whether it is Europe or North America but the US would be cool if it was financially possible.

Once again your sage advice would be much appreciated.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd say North America at that time of year would be the safest bet for snow, but it's a bit of a gamble. I'd be inclined to book you flights to a hub like Chicago now then wait until nearer the time before deciding exactly where you end up. There should be a good range of cheapish flights up to the last minute from there to Denver, SLC, Seattle/Vancouver etc
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Zermatt.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hintertux. Great glacier and cheap. For coaching look at www.alpinecoaching.co.uk or www.worldclassskiing.net
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sunshine Village/ Banff
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
thewahwah, I'm pretty sure that all major resorts in europe will have a youth hostel, which would give you cheap accommodation and food. Your budget seems quite generous to me, so I'm sure you could go anywhere you fancy. November is the problem though. Not all that much in Europe is open then. The States or Canada could well be operating, but I can't offer any suggestions about sof of living there.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mammoth
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the suggestions guys and girls. Smile
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm just bumping this to see if there are any more suggestions. Surely, these can't be the only snowsure resorts in the world?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
thewahwah, no, but they're the only ones open.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thewahwah, As I said - it's November that's the problem. Some of the glaciers will be open. Certainly Zermatt (but that might be expensive) and probably Hintertux. I don't know about the others. We'll be closed from the 5th November until the beginning of December. Last year I think Pitztal opened in Oct and Nov rather than in the summer, but I couldn't swear to it.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lizzard, easiski, ah I see. I take it that December is a dodgy month for snow also?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
thewahwah, if current precipitation levels are anything to go by we should be knee-deep in the stuff by mid-September. Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thewahwah,

Tignes reopens for glacier skiing in september and will close sometime in May 2008, probably the 8th May 2008.

Lots of good skiing on the glacier ranging from esy terrain, steeps, world cup standard bumps, race training lanes & lots more NehNeh NehNeh

Lots of cheap accomodation and lift passes early season as well.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Why not wait till the time before making booking. It's good to have a list of potentials ready though.

For N. America, it'll cost you a good £400-500 just for the flight. The good news is it's low season for both the airlines and the resorts so you can wait till then to make booking. Also, reliable good instructions are generally to be expected at your level. The bad news is most N.A. resorts don't have good public transport so a solo traveler has limited choice of how to get around without hiring a car, which is quite expensive.
ski holidays
thewahwah, It depends. 4th December last year I could ski down to 2,100m. It was closed from 2,600m down but it was decendable (I won't say skiable). Shocked This is quite normal here. Runs to 2,100m are normally open around 6-7th December. (Our top level is 3,600m on the glacier). How much of the resort is open in Decmber is always very variable, but my experience is that most of the Jandri side is likely to be open. I know the youth hostel is cheap and does a deal for liftpasses and has really good grub. (We're cheaper than Tignes of course)! snowHead
ski holidays
thewahwah, I'd echo Tignes as a suggestion. I was there last year from 2 Dec for a week and the snow on the glacier was really good - lots of powder! snowHead The only thing is if the weather's really bad then they can shut down the glacier cos of the high winds. The glacier opens in September and I think the main skiing in Tignes normally opens end Nov/beginning of Dec, snow conditions permitting.

The slopes on the glacier would suit your level of skiing I would have thought - there's some nice gentle blues, more difficult reds, blacks and bumps.

stewart woodward taught me that week and I'd highly recommend him. He works with ESF and also for Snoworks http://www.snoworks.co.uk/i-skiing/meet_the_team.html . There are also quite a few very good English/independent ski schools so your tuition would be sorted.

There is plenty of cheap accommodation to be had in Tignes - try contacting Stewart who may be able to recommend suitable places. I'm pretty sure there's also a hostel there that is recommended but I can't remember where it is/what it's called.

Have fun!
snow conditions
Colorado would give you a bunch of resorts to choose from, many are open from mid October. Utah would give you some resorts, but probably cheaper accomodation.
Whistler would also be an option, with the glacier guaranteeing some skiing, but I think that if I was to spend a month somewhere, I'd want to have more than one glacier to ski on.
snow report
Brilliant. Thanks for taking the time out to give me your recommendations and advice. It is very much appreciated. Now to start the cheap accommodation hunt....
latest report
I'd seriously consider Whistler-Blackcomb.

They seem to be /rather/ snowsure even that early. They even have 3 glaciers. (to please WTFH) (1 on the Whistler, 2 on the Blackcomb)

They expect to open the 22th of November (and last year they opened a weak earlier on account of having 3 feet of white down in the resort)

Haven't been there though Sad

Do they want a skiinstructor there with 1 season experience in Wengen NehNeh?
ski holidays
Ronald, you should go some time, you'd love it!
snow conditions
thewahwah, just did a quick check - the Camelot Hostel in SLC for the month of November would cost you $463 (£230 ish) based on you being in a 4 person bunk room, or $703 (£350 ish) for a single person room.
snow report
thewahwah wrote:
....Friendly locals would be a plus.

Oh - forgot to say, if you decide on Tignes there's some snowHeads going to be out there doing a season, provided spikyhedgehog hasn't murdered them wink - and stewart woodward can normally be found in the Alpaka bar and apparently likes meeting up with visiting snowHeads Confused
snow report
thewahwah, In Austria resorts like Ischgl, Obertauern, Obergurgl, Kaunertal would most likely have some pistes open in late November. You would also find the glaciers open (there must be half a dozen, including Hintertux, Solden, Kaprun and others that I can't think of at the moment). You could do a good tour in a month, starting off at a glacier and moving on as you hear some of the other resorts opening up their terrain. A week in each of 3 or 4 places would give you ample opportunity to locate ski schools and sort lessons etc
snow conditions
Ronald wrote:
I'd seriously consider Whistler-Blackcomb.

They seem to be /rather/ snowsure even that early. They even have 3 glaciers. (to please WTFH) (1 on the Whistler, 2 on the Blackcomb)

They expect to open the 22th of November (and last year they opened a weak earlier on account of having 3 feet of white down in the resort)

Haven't been there though Sad

Do they want a skiinstructor there with 1 season experience in Wengen NehNeh?

You'd be unlucky not to score good snow at Whistler from end November onwards. We usually go st ThxGiving, and only once in last 6 years have we skipped due to poor snow. it's also cheap and quiet before Xmas.

Best bet - book a flight to Vancouver or Seattle, and decide where to ski based on snow conditions just before you arrive. Easy to hop in to interior BC if it looks better there.

If you're interested, Blog report on a rather epic last ThxGiving at Whistler at:

http://gortonator.spaces.live.com/?_c11_BlogPart_BlogPart=blogview&_c=BlogPart&partqs=amonth%3d11%26ayear%3d2006

and photos in one of albums at:

http://gortonator.spaces.live.com/

If you're feeling adventurous, I suspect some of the most snow-sure skiing in North America from mid-November is Mt Bachelor in Oregon. Virtually unknown in Europe I suspect, but a great ski hill, with a really fun base town - Bend, OR
latest report
Quote:

Easy to hop in to interior BC if it looks better there.

How "easy"? Puzzled
snow conditions
abc wrote:
Quote:

Easy to hop in to interior BC if it looks better there.

How "easy"? Puzzled

Buses from Vancouver are cheap - google around for exact routes to places like Kelowna, Kamloops - resorts near there often open with decent cover by end November. There's trains too. And Revelstoke should be opening up lots of new terrain this season - dunno if they get early snow, but they sure get lots of it. Think train goes thru there.

You could also fly to say Denver, and figure it out when you get there too. Easy access to many resorts off the freeway, but I suspect Colorado will be a lot more expensive than BC.
snow conditions
cathy wrote:
thewahwah wrote:
....Friendly locals would be a plus.

Oh - forgot to say, if you decide on Tignes there's some snowHeads going to be out there doing a season, provided spikyhedgehog hasn't murdered them wink - and stewart woodward can normally be found in the Alpaka bar and apparently likes meeting up with visiting snowHeads Confused

I will be joining that lot in december. I think I've been established as a sane person.

I also agreed to pay them some money.. rolling eyes

If you find yourself in Tignes I'm sure we'll be around. Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stewart woodward, "lots" of skiing on the Glacier? I must confess that I might find myself dulled out after 20 days... wink

thewahwah, just a left field thought. I had two of my best ever days skiing ever around 25th November by hiring a guide from Jackson Hole and walking up. One ascent of a smallish peak pm day one (I have never been so exhausted, nor so satisfied) and day two spent yo-yoing around Teton pass. No guarantees that there'll be enough snow but I also bracketed those days with two fun days in Park City and Alta. Awesome!
latest report
David Murdoch, not sure that would be ideal for someone who has been skiing for 10 days and can parallel ski and hockey stop Confused For someone who wants to progress with their technique on from that level I'd have thought the glacier at Tignes or LDA would be fine, especially bearing in mind the limited options in November/December.
snow conditions
thewahwah, Obertauern in Austria opened mid November last year with excellent snow. Ski Amade opened first weekend in December. You can buy a Super Salzburgerland Ski pass which covers all of Salzburgerland - the pass is massive!

Accommodation shouldne be a problem in November/December as its quiet - you will almost have the pistes to yourself. And as for German - all the ski schools have English speaking instructors so you dont need to lie about your age to them!

You can also get very cheap flights to Salzburg, last September Ryainair had a 'sale' any you oculd pick up flights for £40 return, also, Thompsonfly are very cheap especially if you leave it until the last minute.

All in all you really could have a great adventure. Very Happy
ski holidays
cathy, Oops, you're quite correct. I hadn't read the whole question properly. If you're looking to improve then you could definitely do much worse than 20 days coaching in Tignes. As a potential alternative - how about Hintertux?
latest report
Thanks for all the advice guys and girls, it is much appreciated Very Happy.

As a quick update, I have plumped for Banff again in November because at that time last year we were knee-deep in snow at Sunshine; fingers crossed it will be the same conditions (if not better) this year. So I'll be there from the 20th Nov to 18th Dec (my mum would never forgive me if I didn't come home for Xmas rolling eyes). I'm planning to have at least 3 days of lessons per week and hopefully by the end of it all I'll be able to kick ass at Kicking Horse wink.

Any advice on how to kill the next 2 months?
ski holidays
I think the best places in Europe, with cheap accomodation possibilities are Saas Fee (extensive glacier indeed) Hintertux, and Solden (if they are opened).

In other side of atlantic I think Whistler is a good place, because the maximum average precipitation month is December, and this year we are un particular strong phase of cold ENSO (La Niña), which means lots of moisture in pacific systems with lower freezing levels. Banff Sunshine Village is very good option too.
latest report
Quote:

serious fitness training? Sounds great, have a ball.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Quote:

serious fitness training? Sounds great, have a ball.

Thanks, have been hitting the gym since the middle of July and have managed to trim off 2 stones (boy was I lardy) - so that box is ticked.

61 days to go Sad. Need something else to make the time fly.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy