Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Head iXrc 1400 skis

Poster: A snowHead
I have the opportunity to buy a 2007 163cm pair of these cheapish. Reading reviews and so on they seem great skis for doing what I do, on piste skiing, hold an edge on ice and are fairly stiff. I am aware that they are "top of the XRC range" and also aware that I am only a good intermediate/advanced skiier and these are described as "expert" skis. Does the forum think that I will be OK on these? I am 5'9" and weigh 180lb. I have always ski'd on 160-165 skis (they reach up to my nose) and find this OK. I notice that a lot of people who are my height/weight go for 170 plus. I'm inclined to buy these and see how I go. I can always try to sell them on if they don't suit. This is probably the way I will go unless someone here has some serious reasons why I shouldn't. I currently ski on 165 Salomon Scrambler 8's which have become quite damaged skiing on thin snow/rocks etc last season. Hence the thoughts about replacement. I also note that in reviews they don't seem to be loads different to the iXRC1200 which are described as "advanced" rather than "expert". Opinions and/or thoughts appreciated. Ta Alex
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Didn't mean to post twice. Sorry.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Deerplay, Welcome to snowHeads! (Missed your very first posts, so just saying hello here.)
Veeeight, who's an instructor, is very keen on Heads, see here.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Deerplay, Oh, I've just seen how you got to 4 posts, so I really am the first to welcome you to this madhouse, which is full of information and some misinformation! (I expect some passing mod will remove the extra thread in due course, don't worry.)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
OK Thanks for the welcome. Just didn't quite know what I was doing when I started. Guess this is quite a common problem with semi-technophobes like me. Apols to the group.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Deerplay, They really are top of the range skiercross skis, very torsionally stiff, and with stiff tails. If you "pootle" around on the piste, they will be OK, if you try and use them in challenging terrain (off piste, bumps etc.) with limited or poor tecnique they will punish you.

They really are a large step up from Scrambler 8's, and the difference between the 07 1200 and 1400 is largely in the tail stiffness.

They may or may not be the right ski for you depending on where your skiing level is at, but it's a vast gap from Scrambler 8's.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Deerplay, all V8's information is correct, but I think that vast gap from Scrambler 8s (and Scrambler 10s even) is a very, very good thing.

They are damper in the tips than the 1200 series, but gain a little bit more float in slush and a bit more friendliness in uneven ice. I had reservations about skiing the 163cm size instead of 170 + as well, but, after less than 5 minutes spent adjusting the binding position they were as fun as, and more versatile than, the all-mountain slalom skis everyone raved about from 1999-2002. Fun for about everything so long as one's not laying top-to-bottom big arcs on pistes with 1000m vertical or more (in which case a longer pair might do very well).

Caveat lector: I disagree with reviews I read more often than not.
Full disclosure: No affiliation with Head skis.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Deerplay, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

I've deleted your other thread, so don't get confused if you can't find it Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the replies. I think I'm reassured by them, especially veeeights idea that they will be OK for "pootling" on the piste if nothing else although I will obviously want to use them to their full potential. I'll probably now go for them and the idea of the vast gap from my current ski's will I hope encourage me to improve my technique to suit and become a better skiier. As you may have gathered, I'm already rather taken with the idea of getting these skis. You know how it is when you get these thoughts in your head! Reason seems to come second.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
er if you dont want them can u direct me to the sale as i will buy them ... they are awesome ski's head xrc range is great i've got 1100's and they are nice but i quickly wanted to upgrade ...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
plectrum, I went for them and now have them here next to me. Can't wait to try them. If I do try them and don't like them (unlikely) I'll let you know and we can negotiate
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
how much did you buy them for and did they come with bindings if so were they tyrolla?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Also the only major issue i think you will find with the length is when you are absolutely hurtling down steepness! but to be honest if you were good enough to hurtle down steepness i doubt you'd be asking about ski reccomendations Wink

enjoy your ski's dude ..... I love new ski's ... are you gettign some summer skiing done in NZ or SA or Glaciers or are these treats for the winter?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I might take them over to Xscape in Castleford soon otherwise it's wait for next winter in France. They did come with Tyrolia Railflex 2 RD!4 bindings and I paid just short of £250 for new (ex display, but undamaged) skis. Not really all that cheap for any old skis but these retail at around £600, so I thought it cheap in this case. However as I said before, I liked the look and sound of these skis so was really sold on them then.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Deerplay, you've got a real bargain there. Bring them to the ski test day at Castleford on the 21st - you'll get four hours for £35 & meet many a fellow snowHead. Plus I can talk to you about keeping your new toys in tip top condition wink
snow conditions
£250 is wicked .... they are wicked ... i am jealous .... i'm going to buy 700 euro touring skis at 50% discount to make me happy again!
ski holidays
spyderjon, Thanks for the info, but I don't think I can make the 21st due to work and family commitments. I'd like to as I've never been to an indoor ski slope and want to see what it's really like as they're opening one nearer me at Trafford Park. It would also be good to talk to someone about proper ski maintainence. I usually try my own with instructions from various sites on the internet and my Tesco Value iron (£4.44 after my wife stopped me using her good steam iron). Nearly sliced my finger off on one occasion too on a sharp edge!

I was thinking of trying to head over there for 9am one weekday in term time assuming it will be fairly quiet then, and cheaper. Am I right to assume this? If so I'd better be quick as it's nearly summer hols.

plectrum, Enjoy your new skis.
snow conditions
Hi Deerplay,

at 9:00 on a weekday term time things should be very quite at Castleford - on a Friday they usually have lots of snow ramps (and rails and kickers) open which can make things a bit more interesting (if thats your thing). The snow ramps differ in size so there is something for everyone.

Its worth checking what deals/packages they are offering - I think they do a 2 hour package (weekday mornings) including a coffee and a muffin (which works out around 1.5 times the hourly rate or something).

Its worth checking if they are closing all/part of the slope for any reason before making your plans - The Xscape website usually lists any upcoming closures.

I have passed the place at Trafford Park, is it called the 'Chill Factor' ?, when is it due for opening - do you know ?
ski holidays
Hairy Boy, Thanks for the reply and info. Useful. "Chill Factor" Opens late 2007 according to the Trafford Centre website, which also says it uses "real" snow. By "real" I presume they mean the ice crystals with the texture of sugar like they produce as man made snow in ski resorts (and I imagine at Castleford) , not snow like falls from the sky. In my experience these are different surfaces, not entirely dissimilar but enough so you definitely find them different to ski on. I can't imagine that they import real snow from the Alps or somewhere. Correct me if I'm wrong.
latest report
Deerplay, it really does fall from the ski at Castleford - or at least from the snow making machines in the roof.
snow report
spyderjon wrote:
Deerplay, it really does fall from the ski at Castleford

And from the snowboard. wink
snow report
Elizabeth B, well 'i' is close to 'y' on mi keiboard.
snow report
Deerplay, it's always an interesting issue, here is a nice survey of the various types:

http://www.its.caltech.edu/~atomic/snowcrystals/class/class.htm , I've always thought the snowblower snow fairly similar to graupel except in size.

The morphology chart http://www.its.caltech.edu/~atomic/snowcrystals/primer/morphologydiagram.jpg is actually partly useful as a waxing chart.
snow report
If anyone is interested i'm selling a pair of head xrc 1400 skis length 170cm, been used for 2 weeks on real snow.

They are brand new condition, nothing wrong with them. They are truly amazing skis.

Only selling them as im a ski instructor and i can get skis from the manufacturer, and i buy a couple of pairs of skis a year.

I will sell them for £190 + £15 delivery.

These are last seasons skis.

If anyone is interested PM me, pictures are avaliable. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy