Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

hmmm 2 reasons for skiers to hate

Poster: A snowHead
just saw this bit of kit, could be fun, could be crap. is it a skiboard or is it a snowboard..............
http://www.skiboardsonline.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=boardski_bulldog&Category_Code=skiboards
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well, it looks crap, in a kind of English football hooligan abroad kind of way. No idea how it would perform but I would suspect that to be crap too.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
maggi, Wouldn't mind giving it a blast in a test day but I wouldn't lay down cash till it had a proper outing. I can see its appeal to one group of hot-doggers.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Looks singularly pointless to me.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd buy them but unfortunately can't as I'm a smidgin' under 5'9" wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hard to imagine the loads which could be put on those bindings. The idea reminds me of those inflatable dinghy things on which you can mount a windsurf rig. Neither a sensible inflatable nor a sensible windsurfer.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hmmmm a split snowboard that doesn't join up.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
it will be too flexible to work as a snowboard, particularly on harder snow
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Too short to be stable as a snowboard, flexy as anything, don't know what would happen to snowspray forced up into your undercarriage at speed- might be pleasantly cooling.

Properly engineered splitboards are themselves a whole mess of compromises - to take something fundamentally designed for one purpose and claim it can do something else- dubious
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I like how it has a british flag as a graphic - they've worked out their demographic well Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
davidof,

also too short ?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A snowHead tried them today at Castleford & snapped 'em Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Rode'm, Broke'm, will write up a description of and a why l8r . . . they're not quite the chocolate teapot they appear to be . . . but more development is needed.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Right:

1: Firstly, they're VERY stiff (read that as virtually solid), and though I didn't ski them as blades, that's probably ok if you've got one on each foot and can roll them from edge to edge or twist steer them to turn, but bolt them together and you've some more problems . . . and they're big ones.

2: foot stance is fixed and 'duck' . . . fine in soft boots . . . but in stiff (and mine are very stiff) ski boots, comfort is in short supply

3: My ski boots have a 321mm sole-length and even when bolted down in a splayed angle they don't project over the edges of the bolted together boards . . . this thing is WIIIDE! which means that you feel and essentially are bolted down to a piece of 300mm wide marine plywood.

All this leads to having virtually no low speed control and needing to twist-steer the thing from the shoulders and stay balanced by large(ish) upper-body 'english' Evil or Very Mad once you get beyond walking pace you can start to edge . . . which because of the width, is a real and concious effort rather than a subtle weight change . . . and because of the torsional inflexibility , has to be centrally balanced over he edge on both feet to allow it to track around the sidecut.

Which gets us to higher speeds and putting forces into the tool rather than bumbling around as a passenger on it. Twisted Evil

Once warmed up, I had some nice turns at the top of Cas. but very aware of the effort to get from edge to edge and struck by how wooden and dead it felt under-foot, you can't torque steer because you're in skiboots and it's rigidly bolted together (that may be a major failing), but got near the bottom moving fairly quickly heading into the soft crud on the right so shifted my weight hard forward and onto my lead heel into a heelside turn as I hit the sugar . . . and the nose of the leading board folded up and I ate snow . . . busted! Confused Confused

These are my thoughts:

1: IT'S TOO BLOODY STIFF! It couldn't bend so it broke. It'll never work as a useful snowboard until it's about 6" longer and has a lot more flexibility. You can get away with having a stiff(ish) centre but the nose and tail need progressive deflection. That would be easy to achieve by flaring down the construction from the centre-point and giving it a modicum of torsional flex.

2: It needs some lateral thinking about the fixing and binding mounting system. I can already see a way to eliminate 4 of the 8 mounting holes and to incorporate the use of either standard soft-boot or hard-boot bindings

The idea is sound and could easily (but probably expensively) made to work well, but in this stage of development and at £660 . . . I can't recommend it.

Just a note for reference: I'm 100Kg and ride aggressively but that's the first plank of any sort I've broken, the developer is about 60Kg and I've not seen him ride and I don't think the vids on his site show the tool being used in a 'real-world' way
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Looks crayzeeee Shocked
ski holidays
Quote:

at £660

think the price is only half that, its deffo around the £300 mark. if i was to make this purchase i would be using my rossi soft light 1 boots. i am undecided if i even like these boards/board. they might be ok as just a set of skiboards though, but would use different bindings, i only trust my bomber elite bindings.
snow report
so you wear skiboots with it?

but that removes the *one* attraction of snowboarding, soft boots...
latest report
Quoting the website:

"Have you ever wished you could use your skiboards as a snowboard or your snowboard as skiboards?"
"Ever wanted to take on snowboarding without having to buy or rent different gear?"

Funnily enough no, and er, no!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy