Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dumping in Australia! HUGE ski season, including photographs

Poster: A snowHead
After a poor season in 2005 and an appaling season in 2006, Australia is having a brilliant snow season. Smile , while southern Tasmania has missed out, everywhere else in the high country is coated with a deep layer of white stuff Very Happy

Link to snow cams. http://www.ski.com.au/snowcams/

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 23-07-07 7:54; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Bogong, cool ! Hope it's a harbinger of our winter to come Razz
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would not rush out there Sad
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bogong wrote:
After a poor season in 2005 and an appaling season in 2006, Australia is having a brilliant snow season. Smile , while southern Tasmania has missed out, everywhere else in the high country is coated with a deep layer of white stuff Very Happy

Brother just text me from Perisher Blue. they had 85cm last week and he has just arrived for a weeks skiing. Best he has ever seen there. Only 6 months to go here. Sad
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
gwaelod wrote:
Bogong wrote:

Brother just text me from Perisher Blue. they had 85cm last week and he has just arrived for a weeks skiing. Best he has ever seen there. Only 6 months to go here. Sad

Yeah but like skiing in Seefeld or Lermoos on a bad day !
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Well Stanton, you can be as negative as you like, but this year the snow and the ski runs at the big resorts in Australia are as good as anything I've experienced in Europe or Canada! All standards of skiing from green to blue to black runs are just superb.

Away from the resorts, The big mountains like the Main Range in NSW or Mt Bogong and Mt Feathertop in Victoria have knee deep powder on a base over a metre deep. It's bliss, what more could you ask for?

Falls Creek resort. This year there are hundreds of other ski runs in Australia that look like this.

Mt Buller resort.

Tree skiing at Mt Buller resort.

Away from the resorts, this is Mt Feathertop in Victoria. Note the maniac skiing down the 70 degree slope under the scary cornice. surprise
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bogong wrote:
Away from the resorts, this is Mt Feathertop in Victoria. Note the maniac skiing down the 70 degree slope under the scary cornice. surprise

Must be involved in making one of those ski films then Wink

Oz looks amazing this year - hope it continues for them and we get some of the same in Europe this coming season snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Great pic of Mt Feathertop.

Don't need to talk it up, the pic does it for you

70 degrees rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
That's not for a film, the photo is by the pilot (ex Royal Navy) who does the helicopter shuttle between the ski resorts of Mt Hotham and Falls Creek. Occasionally he detours a minute or two out of his way to take pictures of Feathertop and other high, pointy peaks.

The maniacs were just climbing and skiing there for the fun of it when he flew by. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Great photos. Looks cool. Glad to see Oz has some flakes at last.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bogong, great photos, that one of tree skiing at Mt Buller, really makes me want to be there.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Until this year, I hadn't skied in Oz. Everybody kept telling me it was rubbish. Even after we had booked, friends did their best to "manage my expectations". Well, I have now skied for 9 days in total (2 trips) in Parisher and with the conditions we have had this year, it is equal to many places in Europe. OK, the runs are shorter than we are used to and there are less blacks and less off piste but there are also far less skiers. I was still skiing untracked soft snow, really easily accessible off the lifts, in the afternoon whereas in Europe, it would have all been skied out. I would add that the terain parks and pipes equal the best in Europe and are uncowded and accessible.

I would also add that the standard of teaching is very high. They bring in instructors from around the world as well as a good base of Aussies. I am not sure how they attract the instructors they do! I certainly didn't expect to meet a Canadian level 4 examiner who is head of adult ski school in Whistler. In addition, the set up for little ones (under 6) is equal to the best I have seen. For slightly older kids, the race team training is excellent and Perisher has one of the top 3 moguls squads in the world. OK, I know moguls went out with the end of the last century but............

It might not be Val D'Isere, but by the end of the season here I will have skied 17 days and had great fun, be it skiing with my children or hooning with some really good skiers. I just hope next season has good snow as well.

Final point worth noting. My Aussie wife has followed snow conditions in Oz for 25 years and says there is a direct relationship between the Aussie ski season and the following one in Europe. On that basis, next season in Europe should be rather special!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
SimonN wrote:
Final point worth noting. My Aussie wife has followed snow conditions in Oz for 25 years and says there is a direct relationship between the Aussie ski season and the following one in Europe. On that basis, next season in Europe should be rather special!

Very Happy Very Happy Blush Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Laughing Laughing snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It looks fab to me! I've never skied Oz, but the photos certainly make me want to put it on my list. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
>> I am not sure how they attract the instructors they do!

at a guess it's because the Europeans, Canadians etc are "out of season" at home, and thus can work close to 12 months on snow by doing an Oz season....
snow report
kitenski, that is definitely it. It's quite hard to be an all-year-round professional ski teacher without going to the southern hemisphere.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not to put words in SimonN's mouth, but I think it was more a fact of 'I am not sure how they attract the instructors they do!' with the reputation, or lack thereof, that Australia has and when they could go to Argentina, Chile, New Zealand, & the summer ski areas of Europe and N America instead.
snow report
Hey guys, just on the aussie snow thread, where do you reckon would be the best off piste skiing in oz around the 12th September? Coming back home after a season in the Pyrenees and looking for a week of fun...
Cheers
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy