Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Arlberg Snow !

Poster: A snowHead
Axsman, Why am I not surprised? Toofy Grin

Quote:
Ischgl is well-known (and sometimes criticized) for its lively après-ski parties and roistering nightlife.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I used to do some ski bum jobs in Hotel Madlein back in 1985 . Looking at the website http://www.ischglmadlein.com/ I would say it has changed quite a bit if not completely knocked down & rebuilt ! Still, back then it was the night club to go to. Tips were even good then Very Happy

BTW. This is The Arlberg thread not Silvretta thread !
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snow down to resort - tough the grass is showing. Lots of snow up top. Fog throughout quite a lot of the area today - though Rendl was clear. Freezing level seemed to be above the mountain tops.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Snowing to resort level possible sleet rain mixed in. This will continue next three days it will become clear at the weekend. Next week will see another cold Front & more snow Tuesday onwards Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Snowed from resort level from early morning (was rain before that). Soft snow from KK downwards. Was dumping quite heavily when I last looked out the window. Have not met stanton yet. Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
achilles wrote:
Snowed from resort level from early morning (was rain before that). Soft snow from KK downwards. Was dumping quite heavily when I last looked out the window. Have not met stanton yet. Toofy Grin

You will not meet me. I am invisible.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Alberg pass closed again. 70cm new snow since Monday, 7500 people snowed in.

In German
http://vorarlberg.orf.at/stories/268022/
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
More

http://www.networld.at/index.html?/articles/0814/10/202007.shtml

Lawine situation critical

http://www.networld.at/index.html?/articles/0814/10/202007_s1.shtml

http://www.lawine.at/tirol/index.html?id=4 Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just got back from a few days in St.A. It was dumping big time when we left this morning. Almost all the lifts were closed due to avvie danger. I think they opened up Galzig, but nothing else. I think St.Christoph is cut off.
Yesterday most of the lifts were closed except over at Rendl. Galzig and Gampen were open, but almost nothing else including all of the chairs up on Galzig. It was blowing such a gale that I could hardly stay upright, visibility exactly zero, with patches of ice and soft snow all over the Zammermoos run. Fun Shocked
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Snow most of the day. Went across to Rendl - lovely powder. In the afternoon played around with ski touring. Grabbed the Missions back and went to the top of Galzig, blue sky opened and then took the black down with a mate. Most amazing mogul field - nicely formed moguls, but all soft snow. Great fun. Snowing again this evening.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Woo - hoo: Don't let it melt!!! I'm off to Lech on Sunday Smile
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lots and lots of snow in Lech/Zuers at the moment - never seen so much snow in places - should be enough to last to the end of the season
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
achilles wrote:
Axsman, Why am I not surprised? Toofy Grin

Quote:
Ischgl is well-known (and sometimes criticized) for its lively après-ski parties and roistering nightlife.

It lived up to all expectations wink Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We had a fantastic dump of Late season snow on Sunday night. Its been Pow ski all the way since then Very Happy

Its like Jan/Feb

Rumour is more lifts will stay open longer i.e not just St Christoph T Bar Lift until April 27th I suspect the Galzigbahn will run.

This summer the re-develpment of Rendl starts. They start with the construction of the new Rendlbahn which will rise out of the Taxi Rank (West End of town) where the rope pulley is. It is NOt expected to be complete for next
season. The Kappl link will start in 2010 but there is still some goverment issues with the construction.

More snow expected here this week.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Galzigbahn,,Schindlerbahn,Christophbahn, Arlenmähderbahn,Osthangbahn,Valfagehrbahn,Albonabahn I & II going to be open unitl 27th !!

All bars on slopes will close this coming weekend so its just skiing after that folks Very Happy

This summer a new Sports Centre will be built replacing the Raiffeisen Tennishallen Center. It will be State of the Art . Climbing Wall etc.

Record Season !

http://derstandard.at/?url=/?id=3293817
snow conditions
Massive Avalanche

April 15th. Picture taken from Rendl .

http://bp3.blogger.com/_hH7LZNh9p6s/SATXrV5cdLI/AAAAAAAAByU/8h39Cz8EAhk/s1600-h/Avalanch+15th+Apl.JPG
snow report
DER WEISSE RAUSCH - in St. Anton am Arlberg am 19. April 2008

Results 2008

http://www.sport-timing.at/results/results_show.php?Event_ID=1534&Competition_ID=3459&TableType=CATEGORY&Class=Ski+Alpin+Herren

Spring Festival

http://powermoderator.farbkasten.at/stage2/tv.php?state=2&channelId=13&channelName=Intersport%20Springfestival%20St.%20Anton%202008&vId=60
latest report
stanton, I still fancy doing DER WEISSE RAUSCH sometime, this year a stag weekend prevented me, maybe next year...
latest report
News Report 2008.

mms://stream2.orf.at/radiotirol/rausch.wmv

http://www.powermoderator.tv/

I posted this before but allways a good to see (From 2007 Race)

http://youtube.com/v/sFCNytFoQs8
latest report
My second ever Austrian excursion (first was Bad Hofgastein a few years back) was at St Anton 4 weeks ago (week of Sunday 23rd March). We (a mixed group of the relatively seasoned in age and experience) all went for fun on the snow, not the apres and I found myself away from the pisted in no small part due to the hectic nature of the groomers. Is the overcrowding actually the reason why St A. has developed this marketing spiel for 'off piste' paradise ?

The itineries (marked dotted) and the unmarked bits everywhere else were really nice, I loved the bumps under Galzig, the Rendl stuff beyond the avalanche barriers and the Schindlerkar, Mattun and Kapall areas but did I miss a trick ? The 'pistetopowder' groups were fully booked from the off (and had been well in advance of our arrival apparently), the pisted areas back down the hills were heaving with dangerous and overconfident incompetents and occasional p1ssheads but the saving grace was the eateries beside the slopes. Genuinely good food and very reasonable prices - I can forgive Scotland but why can't France, Italy or the USA pull good mountain restaurants off ?

Sorry, it's not a snow report I know but more a comment on the marketing hype. I know it was one of the busiest weeks but IMHO, St A. has been bigged up so much as being some superior expert's ski centre to the point that it's oversubscribed. We all enjoyed it for sure and the 'vice ringpiece' (Lech-Zurs circuit) was pretty pretty wink Toofy Grin but all in all, no more than say I did in the Three Valleys the same week lasy year.

Maybe it's all relative and felt a little jaded in comparison to the quality of skiing elsewhere this season.
ski holidays
moffatross wrote:
My second ever Austrian excursion (first was Bad Hofgastein a few years back) was at St Anton 4 weeks ago (week of Sunday 23rd March). We (a mixed group of the relatively seasoned in age and experience) all went for fun on the snow, not the apres and I found myself away from the pisted in no small part due to the hectic nature of the groomers. Is the overcrowding actually the reason why St A. has developed this marketing spiel for 'off piste' paradise ?

The itineries (marked dotted) and the unmarked bits everywhere else were really nice, I loved the bumps under Galzig, the Rendl stuff beyond the avalanche barriers and the Schindlerkar, Mattun and Kapall areas but did I miss a trick ? The 'pistetopowder' groups were fully booked from the off (and had been well in advance of our arrival apparently), the pisted areas back down the hills were heaving with dangerous and overconfident incompetents and occasional p1ssheads but the saving grace was the eateries beside the slopes. Genuinely good food and very reasonable prices - I can forgive Scotland but why can't France, Italy or the USA pull good mountain restaurants off ?

Sorry, it's not a snow report I know but more a comment on the marketing hype. I know it was one of the busiest weeks but IMHO, St A. has been bigged up so much as being some superior expert's ski centre to the point that it's oversubscribed. We all enjoyed it for sure and the 'vice ringpiece' (Lech-Zurs circuit) was pretty pretty wink Toofy Grin but all in all, no more than say I did in the Three Valleys the same week lasy year.

Maybe it's all relative and felt a little jaded in comparison to the quality of skiing elsewhere this season.

St Anton policy is not to go like Ischgl.

The groomers have always been the same except when they started grooming Schindlerkar about 10 yrs ago. Folk seem to not realise that the groomers are there for everyone but for the advanced >>> it just to get to the next off-piste Happy

Pistetopowder , LOL there just another bizzness that will be drowned out in St Anton.
snow report
As ever, it was a late bargain booking so we didn't know we were going to St A. until 10 days beforehand. Toofy Grin This obviously meant limited time for research and lots of exposure to hype. My only thought on 'pistetopowder' was that they should have employed some more guides / instructors for the Easter weeks (or even better if the resort had sold less beds).... you've obviously got a bit more of an opinion on the outfit then. Laughing
ski holidays
Agree with moffatross, about overcrowding on the pistes. The problem is that while StA has invested a lot ( I mean really a lot ) in upgrading their lift system, they have not increased the number of pistes to cope with all the extra people on the mountain. When I was in Anton few weeks ago I was really in fear of my life on the run down to Alpe Rauz... It being one of the few occasions that the off piste was so crap that I ended up doing pistes Sad
To add to the problem I was told by one of the hoteliers that they have plans to add a few thousand more beds to the resort, so things are scheduled to get worse. There are obviously still bits and pieces that are OK, like on the Albona or on Rendl, but all in all StA is not place that I would feel good about skiing with my kids. I believe that the peace and quiet on Rendl will soon have an end as well cos they intend to upgrde the ancient bubbles up to Rendl soon Sad Sad Sad Sad
snow conditions
moffatross wrote:
As ever, it was a late bargain booking so we didn't know we were going to St A. until 10 days beforehand. Toofy Grin This obviously meant limited time for research and lots of exposure to hype. My only thought on 'pistetopowder' was that they should have employed some more guides / instructors for the Easter weeks (or even better if the resort had sold less beds).... you've obviously got a bit more of an opinion on the outfit then. Laughing

IMO PtoP are going to concentrate on there Norwegian adventure & eventually quit St Anton or sellout. They stopped doing there daily reports on March 18th.

They have now have stiff competition from the PowderClub & next season there will be a brand new Ski School offering off-piste guiding.

Local tourist office does not like PtoP leaving brochure's around town advertising skiing in Norway !!

Last year they added 600 new beds. There are plans to add another 600-1000 bed for next season but this has been cancelled (limited to around 200) There will be one new designer Hotel next season.
latest report
Steilhang wrote:
Agree with moffatross, about overcrowding on the pistes. The problem is that while StA has invested a lot ( I mean really a lot ) in upgrading their lift system, they have not increased the number of pistes to cope with all the extra people on the mountain. When I was in Anton few weeks ago I was really in fear of my life on the run down to Alpe Rauz... It being one of the few occasions that the off piste was so crap that I ended up doing pistes Sad
To add to the problem I was told by one of the hoteliers that they have plans to add a few thousand more beds to the resort, so things are scheduled to get worse. There are obviously still bits and pieces that are OK, like on the Albona or on Rendl, but all in all StA is not place that I would feel good about skiing with my kids. I believe that the peace and quiet on Rendl will soon have an end as well cos they intend to upgrde the ancient bubbles up to Rendl soon Sad Sad Sad Sad

Agree - St Anton really does need more pistes. We normally do our early runs there and then move to Stuben, Lech, or Zurs later in the day. I know what you mean about Alpe Rauz, especially the last pitch before it flattens into the run into lift area. Gets very chopped up and filled with high speed skiers (punters?) who ski way beyond their ability.

FYI, though, there were some new pistes cut in Lech this year.
ski holidays
ulmerhutte wrote:
Steilhang wrote:

Agree - St Anton really does need more pistes. We normally do our early runs there and then move to Stuben, Lech, or Zurs later in the day. I know what you mean about Alpe Rauz, especially the last pitch before it flattens into the run into lift area. Gets very chopped up and filled with high speed skiers (punters?) who ski way beyond their ability.

NO MORE PISTES.

They already destroyed the Schindlerkar, Arlenmähder & there about to destroy Malfontal (Back Of Rendl to Kappl) with even more pistes Mad

If you want pistes go elsewhere like France!
snow report
moffatross, I've heard that the runs get really crowded in St. Anton (I've never been) which is a real shame, because I'm sure the pistes are fantastic. I don't mind it when the pistes arent groomed, but i do mind having to dodge skiers/boarders constantly.

I see this becoming a problem for lots of resorts. Skiing is becoming more accessible, more beds are are being added and with all the modern 8 seater chairlifts the pistes are going to get busier and busier Sad

EDIT: Just been reading a trip report on a german forum, and the guy took this picture. click here

Never seen anything like that. Mind you, the rest of the pictures in the same report look so stunning that I'm sure its reputation as one of the best ski resorts in Europe is justified. report here
ski holidays
oasis13 wrote:
moffatross, I've heard that the runs get really crowded in St. Anton (I've never been) which is a real shame, because I'm sure the pistes are fantastic. I don't mind it when the pistes arent groomed, but i do mind having to dodge skiers/boarders constantly.

I see this becoming a problem for lots of resorts. Skiing is becoming more accessible, more beds are are being added and with all the modern 8 seater chairlifts the pistes are going to get busier and busier Sad

EDIT: Just been reading a trip report on a german forum, and the guy took this picture. click here

Never seen anything like that. Mind you, the rest of the pictures in the same report look so stunning that I'm sure its reputation as one of the best ski resorts in Europe is justified. report here

That is the Steissbachtal or as the brits call it "Happy Valley" or better still "Crappy Valley" . Looks like the photo was taken earlier this month. As you look at the picture to the right of the blue markers a huge ravine (down to the river below) was dug & a 6metre high wall to protect the piste from the unpredictable avalanches that were coming down from the right hand side (Mattunjoch).
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stanton, yeah i've no doubt that that picture highlights the worst and that on average the pistes are much less busy(oh god, imagine if they weren't!). I just thought it looked like an interesting case of human slalom skiing!
snow report
When the sun was shining, there's no doubt that it was one of the most stunning places to ski & it's amazing how much more photogenic a place is if you can see a few trees sometimes .... some of my ski p0rn collection below wink First time I've looked at those photos in 4 weeks and after a lot of skiing in Scotland since, I forget how much bigger Euro-land is. Smile

Somewhere off Kapall ...

Madloch-Joch area, Zurs ...

Looking down to St Anton from Galzig area ...

The 'crappy valley' was very tedious, epitomising the worst part of St A. It wasn't too difficult to avoid using it though after a couple of days of getting your bearings.
snow conditions
moffatross, beautiful pictures?

When were they taken?
snow report
oasis13... last week in March, can't remember what days exactly. Had a few snowy/cloudy days too though. wink
ski holidays
stanton wrote:
ulmerhutte wrote:
Steilhang wrote:

NO MORE PISTES.

They already destroyed the Schindlerkar, Arlenmähder & there about to destroy Malfontal (Back Of Rendl to Kappl) with even more pistes Mad

If you want pistes go elsewhere like France!
As usual you seem to have missed the point. The point is not that I would like to see more pistes, but that I would like to see less people on the ones that are there. There are times when I have no choice but to use the pistes ( like with a six year old child in tow ) and I would prefer to be able to do that without being in fear of my own and my children's safety! Get it?
snow report
No. there are enough routes to Rauz. Use Pfannenköpft Valfagehr instead.
snow conditions
Stanton, if you are such a freerider, what the heck are you doing in St Anton anyway??? You should be hanging in La Grave or someplace similar. Some people enjoy skiing pistes, some enjoy off-piste, while others want to do both. Nobody wants to do either in crowded conditions. Unless you want St Anton to limit the number of lift tickets they sell on a given day, something has to give re: the pistes. Yes, I know Lech & Zurs has that policy, but I have not seen it enforced.

ps Pfannenkopf can be good, but I have also skied it when it has been tough - ungroomed and iced. It is not somewhere I would take an inexperienced skier, or a kid. Well, not before I checked it out myself first.
ski holidays
ulmerhutte, stanton talks good skiing. But no one I know has met him.
ski holidays
achilles wrote:

Lets keep it that way Very Happy

Raining today,tomorrow. remaining operational lifts close this weekend, no more groomers, peace & quiet.

The real season gets under way in May, going to snow next week Very Happy
snow report
stanton wrote:
achilles wrote:

Lets keep it that way Very Happy.......

Could this be a picture of Stanton and friend?
ski holidays
Last day of the season tomorrow. All the the tourists have gone so its great now Very Happy
snow report
No time wasted.

Looks like a new construction site going up in Oberlech

http://homes.tiscover.com/prjt/lech_zuers/inc/popup_cams.html?_pic=http://live.flashing.net/skiarlberg/oberlech.jpg
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy