Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

rental bindings

Poster: A snowHead
mr. rpft & I have 3 pairs of skis between us. One pair has rental bindings fitted - he uses them on snow & I use them sometimes on plastic. They are superb skis on both surfaces - and for both of us - and this makes me wonder firstly if I am being a heathen? and secondly, could we improve these skis (for 1 of us) by putting better bindings on them?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In a nutshell.....No...

If you like the ski and it skis OK and the bindings are safe there really is no point replacing them apart from a weight saving as demo/rental bindings will be heavier than flat/direct mounted as a rule.

Are you being a heathen..........hmmmmm
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kiwi1, Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing I am expecting so much sh*t from discerning snowHead - but I've been wanting to ask this question for ages. I ski OK ish but I really don't notice any difference in quality or positioning between the rentals & my posh salomon ones Embarassed Embarassed
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have some skis which I bought ex-demo, with rental bindings, and they are so easy to adjust for different length boots (we often lend equipment to visitors) that I'm very happy with them. Once they're on my feet the weight doesn't bother me.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w, I don't notice the weight either - my salomons seem much heavier.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rpft wrote:
kiwi1, Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing I am expecting so much sh*t from discerning snowHead - but I've been wanting to ask this question for ages. I ski OK ish but I really don't notice any difference in quality or positioning between the rentals & my posh salomon ones Embarassed Embarassed

As much as I'd like every one in the UK to be skiing on nice new VIST bindings, if the old ones are releasing safely, why replace them. Very few people on the slopes notice the bindings and having demo bindings for some people can be a great option for increased resale of skis (don't need to redrill) and multiple users.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kiwi1, essential for kids skis too. oh & I promise that when I buy my nomads I'll have your proper grown up bindings Cool

It isn't just the weight though is it? otherwise everyone would have them.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rpft,
    1) Demo / rental bindings have a tendency to be a little bit sloppy (boot movement with-in the toe / heel area).
    2) The mounting point can be different depending on your boot sole length and the type of binding.
    3) If you are worried about high performance stuff think of this: a rental binding can be moved to accommodate a difference in boot lengths of up to 10cm, a normal binding 10mm, a full on race binding just 5mm
    4) Rental bindings are much higher on the ski, this may not be a bad thing for carving, but really, it sucks. Raisers suck too.

Ain't that much wrong with using them though, that's just why I wouldn't. If I was a skier.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kiwi1 wrote:
a great option for increased resale of skis (don't need to redrill).

pretty much any system ski does that as well.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
comprex wrote:
kiwi1 wrote:
a great option for increased resale of skis (don't need to redrill).

pretty much any system ski does that as well.

Sorry mate, I was refering to flat/directmounted bindings that need to remounted for a different user/boot size.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
cheers parlor, I have been wondering about this for ages & assumed that point 3 was the biggest problem. Mr. rpfts feet are size 12 & mine are 7 1/2 - & I have been curious for a while about how this difference in position affects our skiing! Def. haven't noticed point 1 though - that would be annoying Shocked
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
comprex, kiwi1, my salomons had to be re-drilled for a tiny difference in foot size - really tedious Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have rental bindings on all our skis.

Kids feet grow.

I lend to friends.

New boots may have different sole lengths.

Best of all: can move forwards or backwards to find each skis sweet spot.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rungsp, point 5 means you have movable toe pieces - mine are fixed. movable ones sound fun Toofy Grin Toofy Grin agree wholeheartedly with points 1-4.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rungsp wrote:
I have rental bindings on all our skis.

Kids feet grow.

I lend to friends.

New boots may have different sole lengths.

Undisputed, although NEOX, VIST or Tyrolia consumer-grade Railflex could work also and quickly.

Quote:

Best of all: can move forwards or backwards to find each skis sweet spot.

This is the one I have trouble with. Modern skis have absolutely enormous sweet spots. That this should be even noticeable lends me to think one of:

1) the skis are the wrong size Thinking: "Oh, I'll buy this model because it's better in reviews, but I'll buy it shorter because its a little too "advanced". Result: sweet spot as designed but only at very low speeds and on groomers
2) the skis are the wrong size Thinking: "Oh, I'm only 62 kg but I'm really tall so the skis should reach to my chin, never mind that they're designed to be skied -short". Result: smaller sweet spot than designed gets very tiny on hard surface
3) the skis have the wrong flexl Thinking: "Oh, this ski must be better because its an 'advanced' ski" Result: tiny sweet spot at any speed OR sweet spot as designed but only at low speeds therefore skier changes length to one of #1 or #2

4) the skis are of a dated design "Oh, I'm only a beginner so I'll just use a junior race ski from 10 years back" Result: small design sweet spot doesn't get bigger

5) something is amiss at the boot. Result: small sweet spot on any but the -longest- skis that can be skied at that weight

6) The skier is good enough to notice the difference (in which case they should also notice the difference between rentals and consumer grade bindings, even between different consumer grade bindings)
snow conditions
Apologies for typos in above; it took me 5 invalid sesson resubmit form attempts to successfuly post.
ski holidays
comprex, not sure I agree. rungsp is a mighty fine skier, as you say skis have a massive "sweet spot", but by trying different forward / aft combinations, on different sidecuts and different flex patterns, he can find the right position for his technique on that particular skis. No?
snow report
parlor, undisputed, in which case I re-submit proposition #6, and, possibly 5.
latest report
comprex, ooops missed 6, lack of beautiful bold emphasis. Maybe some truth in 5 but I doubt that very much knowing rungsp. Dammit. Didn't mean it to be that much of a complement!!

It's all a little bit Epic though for me. I know what I like, I like my skis mounted forward but then again I suffer from the distinct opposite of ALL of your points. Why does know one make a a 2m plus fat ski as stiff as a goddamn DH board. /end of rant
ski holidays
what are consumer grade railflex?
ski holidays
parlor, no worries, 'tis the ranting season. Laughing I'll crawl back in my hole now...

rpft, Tyrolia Railflex 2, sometime seen in Head or Elan or Fischer badging on their system skis.
latest report
parlor wrote:
Why does know one make a a 2m plus fat ski as stiff as a goddamn DH board. /end of rant

stop whinging and order flex 3 lotus 120s in a 200 or 138 in a 202 Twisted Evil
snow report
Arno, you realise I meant, to say know one??? Errrr.... erm... good point. Except the good lady boss would kill me? Fair enough I think...
ski holidays
parlor, keep the compliments coming!
"rungsp is a mighty fine skier"

My helmet won't fit...head swelling as I type!
snow report
rungsp, what type are your bindings? they sound like fun Very Happy mine are tyrolia railflex (I dropped one of the b@st@rds on my foot checking this detail last night - heavy aren't they Confused Evil or Very Mad)
ski holidays
Salomon 9-12 on most of our skis.
snow report
rungsp, thanks. Very Happy think we ought to have, at the very least, your skiing credentials after all this praise; (perhaps even a link to youtube) Toofy Grin age you started - how often - what on & where Toofy Grin Toofy Grin don't be shy Laughing
ski holidays
Oh all right then (I'm bored, 4th July, nothing happening at work):
Started at 19, now 4* years old.
For first 20 years just 1 week a year, now kids are older and as financial circumstances happily allow it we go a lot. 35 ski days last year.
Got a shack in Le Chable (below Verbier).

Given that much skiing I'm nowhere near as good as I should be, but have stepped it up considerably in the last 5 years.
There is nothing much that I can't ski, there is plenty I won't ski (scaredy cat if there are cliffs etc, no hucking!)
On piste you would say "he is very good", in powder you would say "that's wierd, I thought he was very good".
Wannabe ski instructor as a hobby-job in a few years time when I retire, or get chucked out, from current treadmill. With a bit of fine tuning that qualification is within reach I think.

Fischer Big Styx '86 in 185cm were last season's normal skis.
Custom rockered Atomic Powder Plus for the deep days, sometimes Atomic Sugar Daddies.

I'm not as good as my kids, and not as good as parlor .
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rungsp wrote:

On piste you would say "he is very good", in powder you would say "that's wierd, I thought he was very good".

Laughing Laughing

Wannabe ski instructor as a hobby-job in a few years time when I retire, or get chucked out, from current treadmill. With a bit of fine tuning that qualification is within reach I think.

Why don't you do a MK course?

I'm not as good as my kids, and not as good as parlor .

Isn't it amazing how quickly they get so fast & so good? by the end of our holiday this year - our 7 yr old was hard to catch up - really scary Shocked
ski holidays
My 16 year old son is going to be doing his instructor exams this year.
His younger sister is better at her age than he was at same age.

If they turn it on there is no way on earth I can keep up in any conditions, and like Parlor said I'm a mighty fine skier Embarassed Embarassed
snow report
rungsp, I don't think I will ever forget that moment when I realised that I would have to go faster than I am comfortable with to catch her up Shocked . I would be really keen for them to do the Instructor course at 16 - it must focus the mind on safety issues (hope, hope Laughing )
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy