Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First Time Buyer - Need a bit of reassurance - or a good bollocking

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey guys and gals,

im extremely new to the sport and still a bit wet behind the ears so go easy if its a bollocking u want to dish out, haha, i thought this would be a good way to get some RELIABLE feed back as the 2 stores ive been to have not been overly eager to help me and have given me quite short blunt answers, here it is....

i am originally from south africa and went sking for my first time about 6 years ago and vowed to become an avid skier, to no avail, i have relocated to the UK in the last year and took my second skiing trip this past feb, so this results in all of 2 weeks under my belt, however, and i really dont want to sound facetious but need to give whoever reads this a clear understanding, i am an extremely natural sportsman and can do most sports well, after my first week i had taken to skiing like a duck to water and was instantly addicted, my trip this year just confirmed it and my instructor said he was quite impressed that id only been skiing for such a short time (probably says that to all, haha) anyway, i decided that i was going to buy myself skiis and boots as i will be going skiing at any given opportunity, i did a bit of research on the net and thought as a first time buyer maybe i should buy after the season as i wouldnt need the latest 2008 equipment, i also decided to buy slighty more advanced euipment that i could "grow" into as i improved as i wouldnt be the type to buy the latest every season, being the impulsive buyer i am i have done this but now am wondering if it was the right move....

so basically i just need a bit of response and some views, and maybe some problems i might run into, or not.....i bought the Nordica Hot Rod Eliminators 154cm, i am 1m76 in height, to my chin is exactly 1m54 and to the bridge of my nose is 1m66, i was told for good carving the skiis should come to my chin, as for the boots i have put a deposit down on Nordica Speedmachine10's which i should be fetching in the next few weeks, oh and i will be spending most of my time on-piste for my next few skiing trips..

thanks for reading and any advice or critisism will be greatly appreciated....
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to snowHead

What is your weight?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Firstly Welcome to snowHeads brendan88, snowHead

I think you might have done this the wrong way round - shouldn't you ask for advice before handing your money over? Wink
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
im 75kgs......and yeah admin....i probably did do it the wrong way round.....how bad was the buy tho??? if very should i try get rid of skiis
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
the skis are very good per reviews IIRC they were fall-lines ski of the year a couple of years back. Boots - well they either fit you or they don't ( provided they aren't too stiff for you- which a good bootfitter should be able to soften off anyway I think)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
im still getting used to all the terminology and and specifics....should i ask the fitter to make sure the boots are "soft"???
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
brendan88, in -that- ski, for someone your size and weight, I would have picked the 162cm. The 154cm is more for someone 65kgish. Boots sound like they might be fine for now: we have too little information to go on. No, do not ask for 'soft' unless an instructor tells you to.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
brendan88, I'm not experienced enough to comment on the individual bits of kit; although my initial reaction to the skis is similar to comprex, but that probably isn't the end of the world --until you try them and it sounds as if you haven't.

The process around your boot-buying is questionable though. Whatever you buy, they need to fit properly and be fit for your ability. I didn't learn that lesson until my 3rd pair of boots in a very short period. That means you need a good bootfitter. My money says you wouldn't recognise a good one without a recommendation Toofy Grin

You will find a few who post here. CEM is based in Bicester and there are various sizes of Zookeeper, Smallzookeeper and Largezookeeper who are based in Chamonix. A visit to one of them will improve your skiing and save you money in the long run imho.

and welcome to snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Agenterre, We have a NAKEDZOOKEEPER if that's of any intrest!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Agenterre,

thanks for that, and u r quite right, i wouldnt recognise a good boot fitter if he or she were standing in front of me, so thanks for the recomendations, only thing is im based in london and would like to buy them relatively soon so i can where them a cpl of times at an indoor slope before i hit the mountains, anyone in london u could recommend???
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
brendan88, Sorry I can't ... and in the long run it will be cheaper to fly to Geneva or take the train to Bicester ..
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ok.....bicester isnt too far, could u give me some contact details of the person or company in bicester
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
brendan88, it's CEM - pm him
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Agenterre wrote:
[......Whatever you buy, they need to fit properly and be fit for your ability. I didn't learn that lesson until my 3rd pair of boots in a very short period.....

I did exactly the same thing rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
brendan88, profeet in London are also very good - they sorted my OH's very tricky boot problems and he finally now has pain-free skiing days Very Happy . They also have good recommendations on here from others who have used them, if you do a search.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy