Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Engelberg Summer Glacier Closed / Val d'Isere Delayed Opening

Poster: A snowHead
Interesting article from the SCGB.

Engelberg has stopped Summer skiing. Val d'Isere has postponed its opening:

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/news/story.asp?intStoryID=4838
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Whitegold wrote:
Val d'Isere has postponed its opening:

Summer skiing I presume, rather than their winter season?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Whitegold wrote:

Val d'isere opened on the 23 june and is reporting great conditions... how long it remains open depends on the summer.

note the snow canons. A day's skiing costs 20 euros from 7am to 1pm.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I would imagine that Engelberg has always had to be picky about when it opens for non-winter skiing.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Looks far too crowded for me.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
davidof wrote:

... note the snow canons ...

Certainly did. You'd think that there would be no more graphic symbol of folly (as with covering glaciers with sheets) in the face of uncontrolled air pollution.

The world's glacial ski areas fiddle with snowguns while the planet burns.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David Goldsmith wrote:
....The world's glacial ski areas fiddle with snowguns while the planet burns.

Great soundbite. Sounds nice and total, and without exception. Not so.

Quote:
By 1954, the glacier had disappeared from view from the church, but it reappeared in 1997.

In the long term, the glacier is in retreat. Has been since the last ice age. Obviously, the wicked Kiwis were too keen to use SUVs in pre-historic times. rolling eyes
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Better conditions and more skiing available on 24 June 2007 in Val d'Isere than on opening weekend of the 2006/07 season at the end of November.

Go figure Confused
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Have the French Alps been in our weather system for the last few weeks or the really hot southern European one?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
stevew, the Meteo France station at La Plagne recorded temperatures consistently below freezing for the first half of last week, but consistently above freezing over the last three or four days.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We're a bit further south, but we had several days of quite chilly weather last week. The last couple of days have been much warmer though. Snowing hard on our glacier today. Just goes to show how you shouldn't believe what you read in many websites without checking doesn't it?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
easiski wrote:
We're a bit further south, but we had several days of quite chilly weather last week. The last couple of days have been much warmer though. Snowing hard on our glacier today.

a mixed summer was forecast by the peasants back at the start of June... looks like they are right.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
davidof, I saw your fascinating peasant thread. They do seem to have something.

OT: Love the RSS feed, BTW, now that I understand how to use it.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
easiski wrote:
Just goes to show how you shouldn't believe what you read in many websites without checking doesn't it?

Another variation on one of the "take-home" messages of last season. Of course no matter how many times it's been said it doesn't stop people who didn't see conditions saying how it's the end of skiing.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
While we're at it ..... in the last 15 years ( as far as I go back) I have not seen snow on the South-facing Alpes Maritime in mid-late June. It has been clearly visible from anywhere on the coast and the North-facing slopes obviously have more. Anyone who has flown over the Alps will have been surprised at the amount of 'white stuff' lying around.
latest report
Agenterre wrote:
While we're at it ..... in the last 15 years ( as far as I go back) I have not seen snow on the South-facing Alpes Maritime in mid-late June.

which slopes? I mountain biked across a portion of the Alpes Maritimes last week and didn't see any snow of note.
snow report
davidof, I'm amazed ... all the slopes ( above 1600m??) East of The Var , so the Mercantur all the way over to Limone. I flew over on Thursday am (28th) and still loads ( not sure how much 'snow of note' is ) and up until Tuesday ( last time I was on the coast) it was clearly visible on South-facing slopes.)
latest report
davidof wrote:
Whitegold wrote:

Val d'isere opened on the 23 june and is reporting great conditions... how long it remains open depends on the summer.

Thanks for the update. Nice photo.
ski holidays
David Goldsmith wrote:
davidof wrote:

... note the snow canons ...

Certainly did. You'd think that there would be no more graphic symbol of folly (as with covering glaciers with sheets) in the face of uncontrolled air pollution.

The world's glacial ski areas fiddle with snowguns while the planet burns.

The green fundamentalists are wrong.

Global warming is a natural phenomenon. It is not anthropogenic.

The world has been melting since the end of the last Ice Age, 15k years ago.

The world is slowly moving from an icehouse period to a greenhouse one. It has been trending that way for millions of years.

Humans are evolving to lose their body hair. Mother Nature has long been adapting us to cope with a warmer climate.

Vive les canons de neige.
snow report
mercantour

I took this photo on Monday 25th June standing at 2200 meters to the North-East of Nice. It looks north over the Mercantour national park. The summit in the foreground is the cime du diable at 2700 meters. I didn't take too many pictures because there was nothing particularly interesting (that I saw) snow wise from Digne to Limone to Nice, a couple of neve but nothing more.
snow report
davidof, What can I say? No photos ... but definitely visible from A8 ( and from a boat the 22nd/23rd/early 24th) (presumably after precipitation that week) ... too windy to go out after 24th and my eyes know what ( and where) I see when flying! I'm not there now.. so can't look out of the 'round window'. wink
latest report
Agenterre wrote:
davidof, What can I say?

I'm not contradicting what you saw, I was just surprised. You had a better overview from the air.
ski holidays
davidof, It's OK , I appreciate that; just gob-smacked at your photo taken on Monday, just not what I would have expected --- it doesn't even 'feel ' windy but IIRC there was a sahara-red ( s-easterly) blowing through ? ... maybe I've (finally) lost my marbles Shocked BTW - which 'col' are you on? ( too embarrassed to guess!! )
ski holidays
if it's any interest to you guys, I live in Val and we're having "unseasonally" wintry weather at the moment. This moring there was a dusting of new snow halfway down the Bellevarde so I guess the glacier's probabaly in pretty good shape. Haven't been up but the reports from others who have are good.
latest report
sbd, welcome to snowHeads and snowy weather is always of interest! snowHead
snow report
sbd, Welcome to snowHeads snowHead Reports from 'the man on the spot' are always welcome Very Happy
snow conditions
sbd, Welcome to snowHead 's

Quote:

if it's any interest to you guys,
Too bleedin' right it is of interest Very Happy
ski holidays
Whitegold wrote:
davidof wrote:
Whitegold wrote:

Thanks for the update. Nice photo.

Is there a website giving full details?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This link to the tourist office's web site gives you a little bit of info about the summer skiing, opening times, prices etc...

http://www.valdisere.com/gb_ete/activite/activite/ski.php

There's nothing on it about the current snow conditions but there are a few webcams. The one of Bellevarde shows some of the new snow but obviously that's not Le Fornet where the summer skiing is. The Manchet one from the roof of Chalet Chardon is down at the moment as they're replacing the camera.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy