Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flying in Geneva in January. Where do we go

Poster: A snowHead
We are flying into Geneva on January 12th and wanted to know where to go for snow assured skiing.
We are a group of 4 at intermidate level. Skiing regular red runs and the odd black run.
We dont want to travel hours from Geneva but dont mind an 1-2 hours.
We are looking for a cheapish trip and i suppose no frills.

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
chect2000 why dont you head for Chamonix, plenty of accom to suit all budgets and lots of reds and black runs to choose from. About 1.5hrs from GVA, easy drive or transfer.

I'm interested to know where you are flying from and on which airline, I'm looking for cheap flights to GVA for that w/e
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
For that time of the year, why not wait until late to book - and go where the snow is. Flaine might be good - or Chatel.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We are flying from Gatwick. British Airways for £80 return all in inc taxes. Good deal we thought.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
chect2000, Avoriaz (Portes du Soleil) or Flaine (Grand Massif) would both suit your group and are relatively snow sure. If you want less concrete jungle and don't mind being based lower down then Morzine or Champéry (PdS) or Les Carroz or Morillon (for GM) both have the security of the higher altitude skiing nearby.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I think Flaine is very underrated ski-wise....particuarly after a (snow) dump...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Avoriaz is pretty snow sure at that time of year.
Why not stay in Morizine though ? It is a lot prettier than Avoriaz and just 75mins from Geneva. Plenty of tour English operators/Chalet Companies in Morizne who will also organise transfers etc.

Lift access from Morizine to Avoriaiz is easy enough depending upon whrere you stay, check with your tour operator/ chalet company.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you plan to rent a car, why not cross the French border and ski in Italy, above the Aosta valley? In less than two hours time from Cointrin, you can be in La Thuille, which llinks to La Rosiere. At slightly more than two hours from Geneve, you have Cervinia, with a huge mountain that goes well above 3000 meters. These two sites offer sure snow and there's plenty of inexpensive accomodation.
Courmeyeur is even closer to Geneve, about 70 minutes (including crossing the Tunnel), but I've never skied there so I can't recommend it.

If you prefer Portes du Soleil, why not try Les Crosets? It's about 90 minutes drive from Geneve if you can get on the Swiss highway. Sort of a secret resort, with only two hotels last time I checked. Completely dead for nightlife (an advantage asaic), good snow on normal seasons and very conveniently linked to both the French and the Swiss parts of PDS.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Flaine! Short transfer time and fantastic skiing to suit all levels, particularly lots of varied reds. Mainly self catering and ok so the resort is pretty dire to look at, but its worth it for the skiing. Good week to go to pick up bargains and then will enjoy quiet pistes etc anywhere really. The prettier resorts like Morzine, Samoens, are great and pastures will cover quickly in a dump plus have the advantage of good links to higher levels.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The main thing we are looking at is alttiude to gaurantee the snow and vast amounts of slopes so we do not end up skiing the same slopes day in day out.
I thought Flaine but was unsure of the amount of slopes and it's snow sureness.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
chect2000, jan 12 is just about the lowest of the low season. Why not see where has the best snow after new year and decide then. FWIW La Clusaz is a place i would like to visit
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
chect2000, Frosty the Snowman's got it right. If you have the flights organised, just wait and see where the snow is good, at that time of year you won't have any difficulty finding accommodation for four in one of the many resorts within easy reach of Geneva, including those cited above.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
chect2000, we go to Flaine (end season) because of snow, altitude and amount of slopes! Laughing Try and have a look at a Grand Massif piste map......
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Has Les Contamines been mentioned yet? well its has now - pretty snow sure and only an hour from GVA. If you do decide on the Grand Massif then I would stay at Les Carroz if the snow is good.

Argentiere, for the Grands Montets will give you altitude if snow is not good lower down.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
CP, Conta' has been closed and then removed from it's original site.It has since been placed in a security guarded fridge. Under no circumstances should people atempt to go there as there is a huge hole in it's place. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Toofy Grin
snow report
chect2000,
I thinkFrosty the Snowman, is spot on with a wait and see, but if you want to consider other areas 4 Valleys in and Zermatt in Switzerland are within reasonable distance of Geneva and have a good variety of slopes and height as I believe has Crans Montana though I have not skied there.
Zermatt may be a bit pricey and slightly further than you want to trave but a really good resort.
snow report
Quote:

The main thing we are looking at is alttiude to gaurantee the snow and vast amounts of slopes

Les Contamines is for people who are looking for something a little bit different from "vast amounts of slopes". It's wasted on people for whom that is a key requirement. wink
snow report
T Bar wrote,
Quote:

Crans Montana

I certainly wouldn't book there too far in advance - much of the resort is south-facing, so it's far from snow-sure, as a little sun can eat up a thin snow layer very quickly.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Please dont come to Flaine, I like it all to myself...... wink
ski holidays
For sheer distance of slopes I'd say somewhere central in the Portes de Soleil, or maybe Val d'Isere/Tignes if you don't mind a longer transfer?

But I agree, you might as well wait and see, you'll have no trouble with accomodation that week. It's my favourite time to go away, too Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy