Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

what is freeride?

Poster: A snowHead
What is freeride skiing?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
GordonFreeman, a variable term to describe "back country", "off piste", "guided" and anything else that implies not sticking to the groomers or park.

Normally just means a bit fatter than average ski.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 28-06-07 10:23; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
'fatter' or 'phatter'?

Are you saying that Freeriding is synonymous with Lardriding?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
SO it's not a monoski as one site discussed?!
It's just deep powder skiing with some wide skis as I thought...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
GordonFreeman, it could be a monoski, but not necessarily, and definitely not if it's just on piste.

(what site said it was monoskiing?)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
GordonFreeman, I've been confused by the term as well, but if it's as WTFH suggests (and I've no reason to doubt that), then it includes a whole range of snow conditions in addition to deep powder! snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
bling bling belts, big ski pants, camo print, helmet and big skis ( oh and a rucksack)
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Is there not also an implication that relatively high speeds are involved? Whereas it is usually advisable to keep things well under control speedwise in the back country imho.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
GordonFreeman, I wouldn't say it was so restrictive a term as that.

It's often used to refer to skiing or boarding and while powder may be the goal of many a freerider, the term, to my mind, refers primarily to the absence of constraints like for example pistemarkers.

At the risk of debunking the cool Cool it is really just a more fashionable (and efficient) way to say "on and off piste skiing or boarding".

Wider skis just make it easier Wink

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 28-06-07 10:30; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
GordonFreeman, To be honest, you and I and most other people on this forum know it as 'off-piste'. The actual term 'Freeride' (IMO) comes originally from distinguishing those professional skiers who are paid just to ski, not race or compete. These are the guys who get filmed and photographed out in the backcountry skiing big lines, big drops etc. It's now become a bit of a marketing tool 'cos Freeriding is a cool thing to do, offering the sense of freedom and adventure. But it still is just skiing off the pistes, in the backcountry.

A slightly less clinical view is that Freeriding is;

Never knowing where you're going until two turns before.........
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:
Never knowing where you're going until two turns before.........

Splaaaaat!
Confused
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
admin, Not a good days riding for you then? Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
a marketing concept
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ski where you want with big wide GS turns outback .......but I don't see too many people doing that. They are more interested in plotting their way down.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
JT wrote:
Ski where you want with big wide GS turns outback ........
Yes, this is what I thought it meant and one of our guides last year who used the term was using it this way. Doing tight linked turns (as when a group farms a slope) is not freeride. Freeride is big, free, fast turns off piste.
snow conditions
I thought it refered to any area that is ungroomed but avi controlled. Hence the claim by the Karwendlebahn/Dammkar in Mittenwald to be "Germany's only Freeride area." It is certainly not the only ungroomed area in Germany, but it is the only one that is avi controlled.

Actually, I suspect it is a term that is used by different people to describe different things, made all the more confusing by the fact that it is generally used by people who don't necessarily speak English all that well.
ski holidays
what about radical freeride then? Is that to do with unpaired electrons on a singles holiday?
snow report
Yoda, Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
But it still is just skiing off the pistes, in the backcountry.

Are you sure it's not the "Frontcountry"? Little Angel
ski holidays
Yoda wrote:
what about radical freeride then? Is that to do with unpaired electrons on a singles holiday?

Nope, the Radical Freeride is a ski that was at the tests!
snow conditions
LARGEZOOKEEPER wrote:
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
But it still is just skiing off the pistes, in the backcountry.

Are you sure it's not the "Frontcountry"? Little Angel

You just don't have a clue, do you. Do you want me to list the ways you are wrong? Laughing
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat, Pretty please Laughing
latest report
GordonFreeman wrote:
What is freeride?

This photo of my grandpa describes the concept quite well.
snow report
A catchy phrase created by the ski industry to sex it up during a time when its appeal was flagging.
snow report
See thread on Cherie Blair/Booth
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, what is freeloading?
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat, It does not exist. Neither does free unloading. Toofy Grin
latest report
ami in berlin wrote:
I thought it refered to any area that is ungroomed but avi controlled. Hence the claim by the Karwendlebahn/Dammkar in Mittenwald to be "Germany's only Freeride area." It is certainly not the only ungroomed area in Germany, but it is the only one that is avi controlled.

Not just ungroomed, but un-marked.

The "free" part is basically it, YOU define it.

Put all of the above definitions together, it's pretty close: ungroomed, un-marked, not knowing where you're going until you're there, etc.

Oh one other (important) thing, if your skis never leave the snow (air time!), it will NOT count as freeriding! Wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
http://www.freeride.eu/start/

This might give you an idea
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy