Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Summer Ski Tests 07 Reviews

Poster: A snowHead
Ok so it was just boards for me (and I'll repost this in the board forum so more interested people see it). I'm 6ft 2 and around 90kg FWIW, currently riding a Wild Duck Mountain 159 which is very old and a bit short for me.

Unfortunately all the boards there were a bit short for me but that's not necessarily a bad thing on such a small slope, so in order of testing:

(1) Palmer Crown LE 161, I've been wanting to ride one of these for a while as it seems to be designed for my sort of riding, however, once I got on it I found it bloody stiff, maybe it was because it was the first thing I got on and I was a bit rusty but it was hard work to move between edges. At speed it became easier and it would be fun for speed merchants with strong legs also I imagine it would be good in the powder but for me it was slightly too much hard work.

(2) High Society Empire 160, Very Happy Very Happy I'm getting one albeit a 164 Very Happy Very Happy I think thas says it all really. It ran beautifully, easy to get on edge and to get right over for really tight turns, cuts through the crud at the side with ease, gives a bit of pop off the moguls (no lid so didn't go over the proper jumps, used the mogus instead wink ), easy to spin round and I think it will go like poo-poo off a shovel in powder. All in all I can't wait for next season. kiwi1 if you want a quote for a brochure I can give you plenty.

(3) Palmer Honeycomb 3 158 (I think). This is a nice board, however, it rides just like my old board, would be a great choice for an intermediate who likes to see the mountain without any serious freestyle.

(4) Radical Flight 158, the lightest board ever I was told and it must be true. I can ollie this as high as I can jump in trainers. This is a board that makes you think you can do anythingMasque, has got it spot on, this is a true park board although I think it could be ridden anywhere. It is expensive (£600ish?) but then again it's made out of carbon fibre hence no weight and really thin but still strong enough to thrash. If you are serious about freestyle then you need this board if you can't afford it sell your boots, buy this and hire boots Cool it is fun. OTOH I stacked it quite painfully as it made me try things I just can't do so be aware, think of it as dating a beautiful stripper: amazing but everyone will want a go and if you're not careful it might just give you herpes Twisted Evil

(5) High Society Twilight 158, more of a park board than the Empire but still responsive enough to deal with anything on piste, this rides somewhere between the Flight and the Honeycomb. It ws quite forgiving and easy to turn. I'd recommend this for anyone looking for a do anything board who has a couple of weeks experience but doesn't yet have a board. It's nice to ride and has enough pop to bounce around while being stiff enough to carve, however, it just wasn't as much fun as some of the others for me.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi, Will need to keep it short but sweet but here's my spin on what I tried.

Elan Wave Magic
Definitely my favourite of the day. 2nd run down & they felt like an extension of my foot, turns seems completely smooth & natural. Good grip on the snow, would have kept them for the afternoon but that would have been greedy

Fischer Tempest
My least favourite but probably due to trying the 160s. Good solid ski but needed much more thought into the turns. Could be slight jaded as managed to fall of the poma in these (as those present will already know, I have NEVER done this before anywhere). Could have been tempted to try the shorter ones but ran out of time

Saloman Rush
Bit of a cheat since I already own Rush 9s but couldn't resist. As expected, good fun, very forgiving & made me look half decent on the slope. Would recommend as a first purchase.

Really wanted to try some K2s but my timing was off so never managed to grab a pair. All in all a very enjoyable day followed by a typically crazy evening. Roll on PSB!!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi all,

Thanks for making me feel welcome at my first Snowheads event, first of many I hope. I had a great time trying different skis as I think I've been in a comfortable rut with my Scott Roadsters - good to get out of the comfort zone. I should say that I'm 5'5" and not skinny; I'm not an experienced skier having learned as an adult and not had as many lessons as I'd like (I've probably had about 6-7 weeks experience in all). I'm with Chris Bish in that I don't know any of the lingo when it comes to testing skis, I just know what feels right to me.

I tried 5 different pairs, plus my own for comparison, each for about 4-6 runs. Here's my thoughts:

K2 One Love 158cm-ish
Nice easy start to the day but as I'm a bit rusty I might not have done them justice. I liked them because there were no nasty surprises. They were easy to turn and I was told that they would be good in less than perfect conditions. I didn't think they were a great improvement on my Scott's though so I wouldn't buy them.

Fischer Zephyr 153 (I think)
Loved these! They were good fun. If I had been walking I would say that they put a spring in my step, in other words, they felt bouncy and exciting. I wasn't sure if this was just because I was warming up so I decided to try them again later (see below). I did have a crash on these but it was down to a novice snowboarder not the skis.

Elan Wave Magic 165cm
These are only 5cm longer than my own skis but it felt like they were a foot longer! They didn't turn when I wanted them to. In short, they scared me to death but I can't blame this on the skis - I just wasn't good enough for them.

Elan Wave Magic 153cm - ish
Much happier on the shorter version. They made me feel confident and in control. Really smooth and quite fast. Nice looking skis aswell. Love the funky ripples - I know they have a purpose but they also look good!

Salomon Rush 150 - ish
Much the same comments as the One Love's. They were comfortable and didn't give me any nasty surprises but wouldn't tempt me away from my Scott's.

Fischer zephyr AGAIN!!
I really loved these skis!! I felt really confident on them. Not scared of hitting a bump as they seemed to cut through them. I wasn't worried about who was watching me on these as I felt like they made me look like a better skier. Nice black graphics. Fast, exciting, and fun! Somebody give me £390 so I can buy them, PLEEEEEAASE!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Great event! (but would have appreciated a wider choice in shorter skis as I ended up on some that were far too long just to try something different)

I'm 5'4", 158lb, intermediate looking to gain confidence in varied condtions - I'm not good on ice. I only ski on-piste.

I've only ever skied on rentals (13 weeks) but usually try and get salomon; i used to love x-scream and last season got x-wing blast. I usually ski quite short, ideally around 153. like others I lack the knowledge and vocab so here is a simple run down of the skis I tried:

Fischer Vision Tempest 150
These were the first I tried. I felt they were light and fast and turned easily but I didn't feel so confident that I could ski on anything very challenging on them - they felt too light.

Fischer Zephyr 153
I didn't think they were as responsive as the Tempest

Salomon Rush 152
Solid, easy to turn but nothing special

Salomon Jewel Jade 164
It didn't help that I forgot I was on 164s - I went into the first turn wondering why I was having probems! I managed to correct and had another run. I felt I couldn't control them, I think due to the length, I could turn but was concerned about controlling my speed so I gave up.

K2 One Luv 153
Turn by telepathy! I thought they were great and really wanted another go but couldn't due to the pixies needing shorties too. I felt my turns were slicker and more fluid than on the Fischers, and they felt more "solid".

K2 Burnin' Luv 160
I only wrote down "DOGS BO******S". I felt really confident on these skis. I had several runs on an empty slope so could try them at some speed - I felt exhilarated and in control. By now the slope was getting a bit scraped off but I just knew these skis would edge well. Frosty the Snowman said "looking good" (and he's seen me ski before) - I think I had a revelation on how turning is supposed to feel. I really want to try 153, which Ellis Brigham said they would have at a demo night at MK so I'll try and catch that.

Elan Wave Magic 153
I loved these too. Felt just as good as on the burnin' luvs and would be confident on ice. Very fluid and responsive. Gavin explained how the ripples worked and said that the high side wall is what gives them the ability to really edge in. I would like to compare them to the BL 153s. Only downside was the graphics - girly white with turqoise flowers, too pretty for me.

Ski of the day: toss up between the Burnin' Luvs and the Wave Magic.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bit about me first, 5ft9, 70kg. Will ski just about any terrain, ski reasonably aggressive, and am usually on the edge’s most of the time. Currently skiing Volkl 5* (for the last 3 years), and in the past have shied away from the ‘wider’ ski. Can ski powder on the 5*, but my weight probably helps with that.

Icelantic Nomad 156cm (140/105/130)

First couple of runs were a disaster, (but that could have just been me getting used to skiing), then got used to the width of these ski’s. When skied aggressively they don’t half respond. Found the turn initiation superb for a wide ski, edge-edge was again very surprising, really started to get used to them after a few more runs.

Icelantic Pilgrim 169cm (127/90/115)

From the first run these just felt ‘right’, really quick to respond and turn, handled any type of turn thrown at them, the flex pattern just seemed to be able to hold the carve whatever.
Even though they are the same length as my 5*’s, the running length is shorter due to the twin tip, but didn’t really notice much difference, even at speed.

Elan Speedwave 10 160cm

As expected these were superb edge to edge, very nimble with superb edge hold. Little bit vague with rebound out of short swings, but could live with that. Would be a good ski for an aspiring intermediate

Nordica Doberman ‘Spitfire’ 170cm

Not sure about these, edge hold was good and they carved well, but just felt as though the feedback wasn’t there. Might have been better to push these a bit more, but the lack of space at Xscape limited the options.

Scott RC 157cm

As per the Elan’s these were very nimble and responsive, but possibly just a bit light (too flexible) when pushed really hard, guessing that given a bit more speed they may be a handful.

Icelantic Scout 143cm (140/105/10)

‘Fun’ sums these up. The shape just looks completely out of proportion, but once you get used to the width of the tip/tail and ski with a slightly wider stance, then you can really get these moving. The edge-edge was remarkable for the ski’s dimensions, they really could be made to move about well, would love to take these through the trees, but if worked correctly they would also get you through a slalom course with ease.

Icelantic Shaman 173cm (160/110/130)

These will just about go anywhere you point them, only had a couple of runs towards the end of the session, but enough to know that these will perform well, again remarkably nimble for such a wide ski, with a well balanced flex.

So to sum up, ski of the day:

Pilgrim followed closely by the Scout.

Looks like Spyderjon and Kiwi1 may have converted me to this wide ski lark !
Might just have to invest in both for the coming season.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks to Admin, Kiwi1, Spyderjon and the boys from Ellis Brigham and Elan for running a great day and making a new boy so welcome. As others have said, ski reviews are subjective, but it’s always good to read what other people think so here’s my two penn’orth.

Icelantic Pilgrim These were short and fat but, blimey, did they like to turn! They were great fun – I even took them into what passed for bumps (more like piles of loose snow scattered almost randomly on the side of the slope) and they took me through just fine. The lumps were quite tightly spaced and runs later in the day had me struggling on longer and/or less responsive skis.

Scott Mission 178 Loads of good stuff has been written about these already but with some justification. They turned as if by thought alone and were happy on both short and long turns. Outstanding.

Head Monsoon 172 The nice man from EB suggested I try these after the Missions. I’ve no idea why. They were like skiing on two lumps of 2 by 4. I did just two runs and turned then in . . . and that was probably the best turn I did on them (sorry for the pun).

Fischer RX Fire 8 170 Happiness restored. These things are so fast edge to edge and turn so quickly and easily there’s a danger of whipping round so fast you disappear up your own backside. Such an easy ski that gets better the harder you push it. Short turns are fun and long carves are on rails.

Volkl Mantra 177 These were big, heavy skis and behaved like it. They felt like they could power through anything, provided you didn’t want to turn too much, so not really a very fair test on an indoor slope. They were fitted with a fancy (and sturdy) binding that converted to allow touring, but I don’t think I’d like to hike up too far with the weight of these things on my feet. Not impressed.

Volkl Bridge 177 Supposedly a cross between freeride and park ski and they worked much better for me than the Mantras. Initially I thought these were quite flat and unresponsive, but when you start to apply pressure, they respond and reward.

K2 Apache Recon 177 What is supposed to be so special about these? Sure, they turned well enough but not outstandingly so. I also thought they were quite heavy.

Icelantic Nomad 168 Kiwi1 said these were the mutt’s nuts and I can see why . . . but it took me a while to get used to them. They whiz around like a much thinner ski but they still felt quite stable straight lining - as much as you ever can at Xscape. I’d love to try these out in the deep . . .

In conclusion . . .
Best on piste ski – Fischer RX8
Best overall – the Nomad and the Mission are just too close to call
Please can I have all three?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Oh, I suppose I’d better get this done before Admin beats me up so here goes.

About me first. I’m 5’ 6” and 54 kilos. I usually ski around 160s, nose height, but was blinded by ski-tech-science of the “these ski shorter/longer variety”, (translated as “these are the only length I’ve got”?) so I’m not too sure of the sizes I tested. I’m a light ‘n’ lazy skier, mostly on piste but would follow anyone down anything rather than be left alone to get lost. As an instructor once said, “Sking is supposed to “look” effortless”! It doesn’t mean you don’t have to put some bl**dy effort in.”

Fischer Tempest 160cm
OK, first run and I’ve forgotten how to ski since last March. Did a couple more but still uninspired by these skis. I’d never heard of them and, if the bloke hadn’t written the name on my paper, I would have forgotten them by now.

K2 One Luv
Bit of a cheat here. I do actually own a pair of these so of course I like them! But the tech said they were different this year so why not try them. Don’t know if they were, really, but I still liked them.

Icelandic Pilgrim 151cm
Cheers, Jon! Shorter and wider than anything I’ve skied before and I was convinced I would hate them/be on my arse with them. Total shock when I came down with a big grin on my face. Excellent fun! Not sure if I could handle them in a long ski but if I could carry 2 pairs of skis I’d buy the 151s for the fun factor.

Elan Wave Magic
Tried these last year and it was a toss up between buying these and the One Luvs. Did I make a mistake? Well, for Cas, I think these are better but for whole mountain I think I made the right choice. Nice skis, these, though. Recommended.

Elan Speed Magic
I’m sure these are very nice but not for me. For someone bigger, stronger and with better technique, I think.

Elan Mag Spice
Quite nice, easy to ski.

Elan Free Spice
Hm, big, fat and pink! Someone, (didn’t get her name) loved these so I tried them. Only 2 runs as it was time to go but they didn’t do anything much for me at Cas. Of course they’re not a carver so they may be great out on the mountain.

That’s all folks. Oh and this is just my view – it may be total bo££ocks!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Maggi wrote:
Oh, I suppose I’d better get this done before Admin beats me up so here goes.

Well done maggi, I was just getting me boots on to come over your way and do u over - but I can just go and have a nice cup o' tea instead now.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
admin, Little Angel Cheers!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Height: 195cm
Weight: 125kg
Weeks skied: `15 weeks
Style: Bags of wink Laughing
Ski Attitude: Casual

Manufacturer: Elan
Model Name: Magfire 12
Length: 168 cm

This was the 1st ski up and I really should have tried it again at the end. They felt like fenceposts and I couldnt get anything out of them. I really should have started on an easier ski and worked up to these. Started to remember how to ski just as I took them back in.
Manufacturer: Elan
Model Name: Magfire 10
Length: 168 cm

Well what a difference. Just the right flex to get me going. A little short for me but an awesome ski that ploughed through any change in snow texture, gripped on anything shiny, flowed up onto the edges, and just asked you to lean on them and bend them around a corner. If I was not in love with my Fischer RX8s that have only done 6 weeks on the snow then I would certainly consider a pair of these. Also the graphics are a big improvement on last years which looked great at the tip but had a very dull tail IMHO. If there are still some of these in admins half price sale then flash the cash.
Manufacturer: High Society
Model Name: FR
Length: 179 cm

Well the first time I have tried a fatter ski and I was very impressed. I felt that if off piste was my wish then I could certainly handle these beauties. I felt well balanced on them. They carved nicely but with an obvious bigger turn radius than the Magfire 10s. Again really wished I had tried these at the EoSB and had ventured outside the marker poles. Cant comment on their off piste capabilities but they are a very stable and easy on piste ride.
Manufacturer: Icelantic
Model Name: Shaman
Length: 173 cm

Icelantic skis are without doubt the best looking skis on the planet. The artwork is simply beautiful. That said I preempted my review by writing "shoite" on my sheet before I went out on the slope. I felt like I may as well have strapped a couple of car bonnets to my feet looking at these monstrously wide beasts. I was in for a big shock in that I could actually ski quite reasonably on them. The surface was beginning to get a little icy and despite this they still handled well. Not sharp and whippy like the Mag 10s but still perfectly carveable. This time I was left fuming with myself for not trying them out in the slush and crap that was available in the afternoons at the EoSB. I bet in slush and powder that they are magnificent.
Manufacturer: K2
Model Name: Apache Recon
Length: 181 cm

I liked them last year and I loved them this year. A ski that can go anywhere, and built like a butchers dog. Again I skied them on the back of the Shamans and perhaps this made them feel better than they were, I was also really getting into the skiing at his stage. Too much of a ski for me, but in the hands of an all mountain nutcase they would be the mutts nuts. I would happily hire these for blasting around the piste as they handled the icey bits well and carved nice big turns.

Summation: Bad skis, like bad cars are few and far between. The trick is finding one that suits the skiing that you do. Icelantic are starting to break down boundaries on shape and size and I would be really struggling to pick a favourite in the "one ski does all" category. I thought the bindings were all superb to get in and out of. No rubbish on show today.

Ski of the day: I am a piste skier and of the ones I tried the best was THE ELAN MAGFIRE 10 Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Height: 5ft 6.5 inches
Weight: about 8 stone
Weeks skied: 6 weeks
Style: Cool as
Ski Attitude: yoof

Manufacturer: Salomon
Model Name: Rush
Length: 152 cm

A ski that carved very nicely. I liked skiing on these, they were so much better than the tosh that Xscape lend you Very Happy

Model Name: Pilgrims
Length: 162 cm

My Dad said these were too big for me. He knows nothing rolling eyes Thes are just great and I want some. Caarved just as well as the Salomon Rush ones, but were nicer on the jumps and are cool as. Can I borrow these and tell you how they ski in LA Rosiere Very Happy
I WANT SOME!!!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Height: 5ft 3.5 inches
Weight: about 7.5 stone
Weeks skied: 6 weeks
Style: Bum
Ski Attitude: Hairy n Sacry

Manufacturer: K2
Model Name: one luv
Length: 152 cm

I liked these. They felt fast and smooth. I think my skiing improved on these skis

Model Name: Pilgrims
Length: 162 cm

I think these were to big for me, but I still liked them but not as much as the K2 ones
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
OK, I'm 6' tall, 94kgs and have 13 weeks skiing experience. I've been skiing mostly on piste, previously on a pair of Rossi B2s (176) but bought a pair of Rossi Radical 9S (165) just before the EOSB07 (after really liking them at last year's ski tests). I'm often found bouncing around off little jumps & bumps, sometimes quickly as well but I'm also beginning to venture off piste too.
I'm in the market for something to complement the 9S, so ideally something longer and wider for the off piste stuff but also plenty useable on piste as well.

Scott Neo
Really enjoyed these from the very first run, a similar reaction to the 9S I ended up buying last season Very Happy In the end I tried them twice at MK and again at Castleford and can't fault them at all (OK maybe the muddy brown colour)

High Society
Too much ski for me, made the indoor slope seem really tiny. I'd want to try them properly in more suitable conditions but even then I still don't think I could manage them all week long.

Fischer RX8 Fire 165
Felt very similar to my 9S, great for buzzing around on. I could go with these all week long and still be smiling Very Happy

K2 Fujative 169
What a fun ski, last year I'd have thought 169 a bit short, now I see it as being a bit long! Rotated nicely and they were great for skiing backwards, maybe a little behind the Scott Neo in the speed stakes but ahead on the grin factor.

Icelantic Nomad
Took me a couple of runs to understand what they are about really, thinking back to them I'm still not 100% sure whether I like them or loathe them Shocked Will certainly try them again though.

Radical Freeride Carbon
What a find!! Before I'd tried them I'd have said totally not my sort of thing at all but I just wanted to run and run on them.
They handled the icy patches as if they weren't there, were very responsive and turny on the main part of the piste and when I sought out the softer stuff around the edge of the slope they came even more alive. I'd take these as an only pair of skis at a stroke, they just did everything so well Very Happy Very Happy Plus they look sooo cool as well, none of the cartoon craziness of the K2 Fujative, just a very understated red, black & white stripe.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Graham
Thanks for a nice few hours it was good to see three brave people
try my skis shame one broke but i have sent this one to the
manufacturer to see what went wrong although i have broken one
pair a few years ago funny these where short skis as well.
I read what the guy wrote about my skis and I think on some
points he is correct but on others not so I tried to reply on the web
site but could not do so will you be able to post this?
Before you read anymore you should know this the remit for the
equipment was to be able to ski and snow board using the same
gear no going down to change from one to the other its obvious
that the guy did not know this, The best way i can describe the
equipment so as others can get a hold on the basic idea is refer to
an amphibious car not fantastic on the road or in the water but
unlike cars or boats it can do both functions reasonable well that
is the Boardski Bulldog
The Bulldog should not be compared to either skis or snow board
as its in a stand alone class of its own and it would be wrong to
try a comparison as it would never stack up take it for what it is a
fun piece of kit.
Ok I will start from the top
a) Yes they are stiff and there is a good reason for that this is
because the core needs to be this length so you can snowboard on
a flat platform.
b) The stance is set in the (duck) because this is the most neutral
stance there is as advised by Martin Bell
c) This is no excuse but as I don't snow board and have never
built one it was a lot of guess work trying to grt info in the UK is
like asking a eskimo about camels
A) The skis/board cannot be made any longer as that is the max
you can use with hard boot bindings, as for the break ,the skis are
on there way to the manufacturer
B) No one would recommend trying skis in soft boot bindings /
they are hard boot bindings
Should the guy wish to contact me and run hi ideas past me I
would welcome anything that can improve my product the price is
wrong its £ 329 the 660 is USD on skiboardonlines web site,
Good point about weight i will recommend that users should not
be over 85 kg
Thanks
Gary
info@boardski.biz
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bulldog,

Thanks for posting. I'd have a lot of concerns about your product:

1 You are the importer/designer? but you don't yourself snowboard - surely this is a fundamental gap in knowledge? There are lots of people in the UK who can tell you how a board is constructed and should ride
2 You've have a product that seems for 2 tasks which I can't see the market was shouting out for and based on initial reviews does neither well. Splitboard, different matter, there is a specific market, same with proper skiboards.
3 £329 is a lot of cash for a novelty item.
4 I've never had a problem changing from snowboard to skis or vice versa if I chose midday so I really can't se a benefit.
5 Hard boot boarding is really a declining art and proper hard booters are just likely to laugh at you. For skiers trying it out it might put them off for life.

I'll be happy to eat my words if I ever get to try them but based on Masque's review it would only be on free test near to an escape route but maybe I shouldn't now you've slapped a weight limit on them.

Sorry for the negativity but look at it as free market feedback. wink
snow conditions
Bulldog, Thanks for signing up and you can email me a masque@pistegypsy.com

I have to take some issue with your comments.
1: 'Duck' or splayed foot angles are bio-mechanically a natural foot angle for many people. HOWEVER, snowboard hard boots are not the same as ski boots and neither are EVER used in a splayed stance. Riding duck is the realm of people who ride the whole mountain and the parks in SOFT boots.

2: Things that don't bend, break . . . or break the things that are attached to them . . . a simple mechanical fact that no amount 'sending back to the manufacturer' can alleviate.
Snowboards and skis bend to enormous values, it's an essential part of their overall performance, the pleasure in using them and their SAFETY. They absorb and damp the forces of skiing/boarding reducing the transfer of that force going into the person using them. Bindings manufacturers have gone to huge efforts to design systems that allow the skis to bend under the short length between heel and toe pieces.

3: "The Bulldog should not be compared to either skis or snow board as its in a stand alone class of its own and it would be wrong to try a comparison as it would never stack up take it for what it is a fun piece of kit.".
Evil or Very Mad My cowcrap detector just went off the end of the meter Evil or Very Mad You're marketing a product to the very people like me who can manage to keep the waxy-side down on both skis and board (you can ask others here whether I manage that successfully or with any degree of skill). YOUR product HAS to meet the expectations of performance from both disciplines. You are not going to gain any credibility by claiming that because your product spans two sports we should accept its mediocrity as a benefit . . . just how stupid do you think we are?

4: As for soft boots on skis? You're obviously much younger than you look, as we can still buy soft leather ski boots . . . bit of a niche market now but it's still there. You'll also note that boot manufacturers are moving towards more (but controlled) flexibility in their products.

You seem to have a fundamental ignorance of both the sports and the engineering required to enjoy them safely and that shows in the product and its mechanical failure.
ski holidays
Opps - just spotted this thread. I added my reviews to the equipment Reviews in Snowbase - apologies Embarassed
snow report
Son of Lard, Glad you liked the Pilgrim's. They're actually 169cm but being a twin tip ski as a 160cm. New stock arrives in a couple of months wink
snow report
fatbob,
You can try them if you would like to the nearest is MK xscape but i will not be there till the start of september
Gary
ski holidays
Bulldog, I'll gie them a shot if you have a pair set up next time I'm up there. Not going to make a special trip though based on feedback to date. You wern't at the MK test in June then.
snow report
Masque, Ok where do you start with Negative Nigels
I take it from your reply that you must have designed and built your own skis and bindings it would be great to view them so could you give me the name and where i could go to try them O great one.
Here is a small sample of people who also have taken on projects that at first they new nothing about WELL how could they if something has never been done before how are you supposed to know?
Wright Brothers powered fight
Benzs car maker
Marconi radio

And the list could go on and on, not that i put myself anywhere near these guys BUT how did they know maybe they just tried like me I think its called Pioneering, Cow crap meter well i still say they are stand alone you disagree so tell us all what is there out there that is similar? i have spent hours looking through the Patent office files should you also go there you will find some contraption put in by an American guy that had both skis fixed but they stayed fixed when skiing. The reason people may find it strange is probably because they just have never tried to snowboard in hard boots this doe's not mean its wrong just different.

Now for these leather boots well i have asked as many people as i know and no one has ever seen them on the piste are you saying that you have seen some decked out in with there latest atomic skis wearing a pair of leather boots i hope you have a picture so i can see, the only time i have seen them is on a wall in a rest stop up the mountains,When did you start skiing in the last ice age? How did you guys put them stones on top at Stonehenge? Younger than i look thanks your not making a pass at though are you

Joking aside the best thing so far to come out of the test was to see the 2 young people try them that was Ewan and Emma both came down with a big grin on there faces that my friend is why i do this just to see someone enjoy the skis and have fun.

Why is it that when someone comes along with something that is outside the box that people don't understand there first reaction is to knock it do you honestly think that the skis and snow boards that you use today just came along, they like most things have evolved over a period of time changes are made and keep on being made that's the way things are.

Safety well one of my mates is just starting to walk again after smashing his right ankle to bits 2 metal plates and 5 screws he may never snow board again, his gear is all Burton so working with your thinking Burton have no regard for safety or is it just an act of god what Paul did say jokingly was that had he been using my skis he would not have smashed his ankle to bits.

Really how many times have you heard of Critics absolutely slate say a film /show/car or what ever just to find that when people find out for them self's its not bad but good, take the VW Beetle slated by all the know it alls in the UK and became the best selling car ever,
bottom line make up your own mind.

So the challenge is 1) provide name of skis/bindings you have designed and built . 2) if the skis are not stand alone provide examples .
3) lets see pics of these leather boots in action .

I have to say my ski/snow board mates just fell about laughing at that one its a classic hope to see it in a Xmas cracker this year.
snow report
Bulldog,

I know nothing about snowboarding so I can't judge whether or not your product is any good.

Quote:

I think its called Pioneering

I say, good on you for trying. It was brave to bring your product along and open yourself up to criticism.
However you do come across as a bit defensive. Why not just see the criticism as constructive and rise above it?
snow conditions
i have been a member here for a couple of years and weirdly i saw this guy getting on a ski lift in VT in late march.curiosity got the better of me and he was extolling the benefits of his equipment.being a northerner and not standing for any southern BS i asked him for a go.I have ski boarded for many years and thought what the heck, they were a blast.A bit odd at first and not great in deep powder but great fun none the less)i tried them on piste and just over the side and got down with great gusto.not sure if they will take off because i dont know how he will promote them but for the money i would buy a pair.I suppose its difficult if you have never tried them but if we dont open our minds we will never be responsive to change.
Not long to wait for the snow now........................................
snow report
Bulldog,
Hmmm... http://www.backcountryoutlet.com/outlet/GAR0043/c1/s2/Garmont-Leather-Tele-Tour-75mm-Boot-Mens.html?id=MX5MuIbT . . . still quite popular in some quarters and I understand that demand is increasing. Modern plastic boots are a dam sight younger than the sport of skiing itself and if you know no better it doesn't mean that's where you should quit learning.

Just because you and your mates are a trifle ignorant of the sports doesn't mean that everyone else should be. I have quite a reasonable grasp of engineering and two of my older boards I designed, hand laid, and pressed myself. Technology's moved on a little but they still ride the hill quite nicely at medium speeds. Also due to another matter I have acquired a very good practical but not professional knowledge of modern alpine ski binding and have stripped, cleaned and repaired where possible, 10 sets within the last 12 months.

Safety is relative, poor design and fabrication is not an asset to any piece of equipment.

Your idea is not out of the box and theoretically has a good intrinsic value . . . but in its current incarnation is it is poorly executed and in my view neither useful (even as a fun novelty item) or safe. Just slapping a weight limit on it does nothing to improve that and smacks of desperation and poor engineering planning at the onset.

If you want to swap insults I can go down that route with great relish. You wanted an opinion I've given you one so stop whinging because it's not what you wanted to hear and go make it a better product than the waste of a ski carriage charge it is at the moment.
ski holidays
H,mm
So you have never designed or built skis or bindings ok
There Telemark boots thats not skiing it just walking up a mountain or for snowshoes
I am not insulting you just pointing out your lack of R&D
Constructive criticism is great if it is constructive
I will not be putting a weight limit on them
There is already a plan to lenghten the skis should it be needed
snow report
Other views on the skis would be nice, and please include your height and weight.
snow conditions
Bulldog,
Quote:

There Telemark boots thats not skiing it just walking up a mountain or for snowshoes

Sorry, but you are totally wrong. I've started telemark skiing and have no intention of walking up, when there are perfectly good lifts. Telemarking in Leather or plastic Boots can be done on normal alpine skis with a Tele binding fitted.
I started skiing in 1979 in Verbier. At that time I saw people skiing with Leather boots and cable bindings.

I've only dabbled at snowboarding, but looking at the Bulldog it just seems a total compromise, jack of all trades, master of none. A poor pair of skis and a poor snowboard.
Why would anyone want to buy something that was useless at both things that it tried to do. If it was a great ski and a poor snowboard or vice versa then Ok, I can see some takers, but it clearly isn't.
ski holidays
Bulldog wrote:
H,mm

Digging a bit of hole for yourself here. wink Leather boots are no longer the norm for aggressive in resort telemarking but are still used by people who tour which includes downhill or old school.

Similarly hard boot snowboarding is not a de facto norm as it was in the early 80s but a very niche business. There is a reason for this - it is much harder to learn and finesse and demands a distinctly different riding style. If you get a beginner in ski boots on your "board" I suspect it is likely to put them off boarding for life rather than being a "laugh".

I'd still be interested to give it/them a go as there may be something I've missed(good or bad) but I'm not overly impressed by your reaction to someone who has tried them and gave you some valid feedback.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bulldog, Oh good grief . . . all you've done is modified the design of non-release bindings onto a locking bar that turns a pair of boards into into:
a) a pair of over-stiff skiboards
b) something that has to be ridden like a snowboard but doesn't perform like one.
c) putting lateral stress forces into ski-boots contrary to their design criteria and presumably should they fail because of that you'd be liable in law (after all I have reminded you of that)
d) required that all riders conform to a single stance angle and width . . . which is neither natural nor normal for a far higher percentile of your potential clients than those that fit your arbitrary design.

The fit and locking system may be innovative but since that's where the board structure failed it points to an unrelieved mechanical stress-point that is bloody obvious to the most asinine backyard bodger at the аrse-end of a lump hammer.

You have demonstrated extraordinary ignorance and a dismissive attitude to at least 70 years of modern ski equipment design development and the numerous techniques and technical innovations that you are admittedly not contributing to and your product illustrates that. It is derivative, not developmental. It is not outside the box, bods have been bolting skis together since before you were born and with the same degree of success that has made them the sporting and retail icon that we don't see in the shops today. You are selling an expensive TOY that was not fun in th fridge and fell apart with mild use. You want people to play on these? What's the warantee? And what's the point, they don't perform in any way beyond bumbling around the bunny slopes? take them in the park and you've got a serious potential failure where that lump of alloy mounting focuses all the forces that the binding system doesn't allow the flex of the ski to absorb. Basically it's a crappy solution to a problem that no-one really has but if there were a good all-mountain solution we would be interested in buying.

You want me (and presumably anyone else) to have gone through the same design and development process that you have in order to have a valid opinion? You sanctimonious prig!

The joke is, in the normal manner of things I would have wandered off from this and never given it a second thought. I might, on request have spent some time working out my initial thoughts into a practical engineering suggestion . . . but you've been a prick, soooo

I've plugged in the old AutoCAD dongle and pulled up some of my old drawings and begun to play. You see numb-nuts, I don't think the concept is impractical or that a good performing combining solution is unachievable . . . just that you haven't provided it. If you want to know what I really think you can see it in the Patent Office and let that be an end to it.
snow conditions
Now this is why I love this place Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Masque, Dont get cross. Its not Bulldog's, fault you are a great big lard arse Laughing
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, It is his fault that they're an expensive fragile piece of crap.
snow conditions
I feel bad for not pointing out to Bulldog that if he thought the first two posts were harsh, he should see what Masque is like when he's angry!
Laughing
ski holidays
Lovely weather we're having eh Blush
ski holidays
Phew. glad I didn't ask him to look at my edge sharpner Shocked
snow conditions
Arno, That's just mildly disgruntled, I haven't the time or inclination to get angry . . . but if he wants to push a bit harder . . . Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
latest report
Masque, I'll let you deal with the lifty when we snap a T-bar rope in L2A Toofy Grin
snow report
Hey all,

Just a quick post to say a really big thanks to all the snowheads who tried the Icelantic and HSFC gear at the ski tests. I'm really made up that so many snowheads have tried them and now know how good the kit is.

If anybody missed them I'll be back at MK for the Sno Show where you can try all the major brands (29th and 30th)

Thanks again for giving them a fair chance and for the great reviews.

Andrew
latest report
kiwi1, I think that I can safely say that for all that met you and tested your wares - IT HAS BEEN A PLEASURE, AND THANK YOU.
ski holidays
kiwi1, Yeah just get those Icelantics made in proper non Pixie sizes without changing the fun characteristics and you might sell some wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy