Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chile?

Poster: A snowHead
Fancied going away for a bit.
When's the ski season in Chile and any recommended places?
Would probably have to travel alone so I guess it's shared chalet time...
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The season has begun. It lasts from Jun to Sep. Conditions are currently excellent.

Resorts are tiny and high. They are expensive. The onpiste is average. The offpiste is good.

Portillo is best. Termas is coolest.

Logically, Chile is not worth the long trip.

But it gives great bragging rights at the bar.

Do it.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
To be honest, I just need to get away and if I can somehow combine it with sightseeing for a week nearby then I most likely will spend the cash.
What would you say a week in the resort costs then? chalet style
...and any recommended chalets or companies to book with ?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Portillo is probably the best known resort in Chile, but can't comment as haven't been there. La Parva and Valle Nevado are also both good options, (and I have been there). Close to Santiago, ski area enough to satisfy most, with heliskiing options if you fancy pushing the boat out. No real chalet accomodation but there are several reasonably priced hotels in the resort. Best skiing from June-Sept. If you fancy sight seeing then the proximity of the resort to Santiago is a bouns. Have a look at Journey Latin America as an operator. We've used them a few times and they are very good
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
GordonFreeman, If you're going alone this might be worth considering. It's for solo travellers. I'm thinking about it for next year.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Looks good although 1 week might be better if I can then escape to say Easter Island or somewhere like that.
Getting the itinerary is key I guess...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
GordonFreeman, if you are in Chile already and you enjoy the more active holiday have a look at going up to the Atacama desert. My wife and I spent four days skiing in Valle Nevado and then flew up to the Atacama which is an amazing place. You have loads of options there, and if you don't mind spending a few quid then the Explora hotel is the place to stay.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Whitegold wrote:

Do it.

Bragging rights are for losers over 25. rolling eyes wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
True. And Portillo isn't a patch on Chillan.

And if you want the 'all inclusive resort' experience that Portillo offers, then Antillanca is better IMHO.

PS I'm 40
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
GordonFreeman wrote:
Looks good although 1 week might be better if I can then escape to say Easter Island or somewhere like that.
Getting the itinerary is key I guess...

Mmmm... how's the weather at Easter island? Right now it's winter down there...
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Go in August or early September.
Snow should be best then.

From what I have heard Portillio is the spot in Chile.
However I would seriously consider Argentina (Barilloche / Cerro Bayo / Las Lenas / Ushuia) depending on the type of skiing your into.

Doug.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Whitegold wrote:
The season has begun. It lasts from Jun to Sep. Conditions are currently excellent.

Resorts are tiny and high. They are expensive. The onpiste is average. The offpiste is good.

Portillo is best. Termas is coolest.

Logically, Chile is not worth the long trip.

Do it.

toss .... Chile was phat, great snow great resorts ... i'd hit parva and valle nevado for 4 days and the go stay in los andes and do portillo for a few days and also cat ski with www.skiarpa.com

The trip is fine, leave madrid at aroudn 9pm and when you arrive in Santiago if you get a straight tranfer to Farellones/La Parva you can be on the slopes by 12 am ... i advise sleeping lots ont he plane to let you do this.

Cheap accomodation and goo vibe is refugio Aleman in Farellones which is the base to their 3 valleys la parva, colarado and valle nevado.

Wine is cheap, restaurants outside resorts are cheap, hotels in Los andes are cheap ....

I wrote a report on Chile on this site so go search in the relevant section, but if you want any advice give me a pm

Saying all this I'd also love to try NZ and Argentina, bariloche and las lenas
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
plectrum wrote:
Chile was phat, great snow great resorts ...

This is toss. Chile sucks. You spend almost two days traveling one-way, just to ski out a dozen or so lifts in a day or two.

Chile is only worth it because it is good to put a tick in the box, it is cool to see another part of the planet, and the offpiste is reasonably decent.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Whitegold wrote:
plectrum wrote:

This is toss. Chile sucks. You spend almost two days traveling one-way, just to ski out a dozen or so lifts in a day or two.

Chile is only worth it because it is good to put a tick in the box, it is cool to see another part of the planet, and the offpiste is reasonably decent.

Sorry if you had a lame time but my experience was awesome. I really enjoyed La Parva it is a super quick piste resort and unfortunately snow wasn't great for off piste and we didn't have the cash for a guide but I was informed that Valle Nevado had some good stuff. We met a great girl Miriam who was a ski guide from Kicking Horse and she had 0 complaints about Chile or Argentina.

We had great snow before Portillo and so really enjoyed their diamonds etc and we stayed in Los Andes so didn't need to book a week at 'club' Portillo.

Ski Arpa was FXXXing amazing skiing at 3600m to a back drop of Aconcagua, would have loved to have spent 3 days or so at this ski cat haven.

The flight is no problem the only bad bit is London to Madrid which is tiresome becuase it is so short. Madrid to Santiago is just one big sleep, which if you leave Madrid at 9-10pm is the perfect time to sleep so no jet lag issues.

Get a pick up car to travel around to as this is very useful. I really didnt like Termas de Chilan much it all felt pretty basic to me but 'stanton' has informed me that if done correctly it is a truly enjoyable resort with superb off piste and so maybe we just didn't see it at it's best.

In terms of scenary, the Andes is beautiful and the Chilian people are really friendly .. so thumbs up for Chile, sorry whitegold seems you didn't get the luck.... was the snow bad when you were there as this affects my enjoyment regardless of where I am?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm with plectrum on this one whitegold.

Been to Chile 4 times and Argentina 3 times and had wonderful experiences in both countries on each visit.

The off-piste at Portillo, Termas and Antillanca was top notch when I was there.

And the off-piste in Chapelco, Caviahue, Las Lenas and La Hoya in Argentina was as good as anything I've skied.
snow report
So, where is some cheap accommodation in Portillo or La Parva where I can actually get to chat to some people (hostel type accommodation) ?
So, recommended plan is UK --> Madrid --> Santiago.
Then mess around in Santiago for a bit, head south for skiing, then maybe back up to Atacama as necessary?

How would you head south - bus ?
I'd rather stay in accommodation with at least a chance to chat to others as staying in a hotel can be kind of anonymous at time Wink
latest report
Private transfer in a minibus is the easiest way to get to Portillo or La Parva, wasn't that expensive. Can't help with the accommodation - I didn't see anything other than hotels in La Parva and Valle Nevado.
If you do head up to the Atacama and want any info PM me, we stayed up there for a week and had a great time. Also have a look at http://www.explora.com/atacama_theplace.php
latest report
Okay, I assume the hotel/accommodation place could sort the minibus?
How far are they away from Santiago if I make that my main base for the duration?

To get to Ski Arpa, do you have to drive up yourself - is that why you suggested the pick up truck plectrum?
snow report
 brian
brian
Mike Pow, plectrum, I wouldn't take it as read that wg has actually skied there. rolling eyes

Meanwhile back on planet reality, it doesn't actually look that expensive. I had a look at Portillo, it's priced in US $ so the exchange rate helps, but you can stay in a bunkhouse type thing with lift pass and all meals included for $600 (£300) a week.

$100 for a return transfer and whatever the flight costs.

http://www.skiportillo.com/html-eng/rates.html
snow conditions
I haven't been to Portillo but it's about 100 miles from Santiago and is a 2.5 hour drive according to the guy who drove us up to Valle Nevado. La Parva is definitely commutable from Santiago, it's only 25 or so miles away. If you are going to ski there I'd probably use Santiago as a base. The hotel sorted our transfers but I'm sure a bit of internet searching should get you sorted
snow conditions
GordonFreeman, I went to Chile & Argentina several years ago, wondering if it would be worth the 20 hour flight to Santiago. After just one day at El Colorado/La Parva/Valle Nevado I knew it was. There's good off piste and great heliskiing (good value too). I joined Dan Egan's Xteam - they take a group there every year - which is a lot of fun and a way to get your skiing rapidly up a few notches. On the same trip I went on to Ushuaia which was a real adventure in a remarkable part of the world. Go there. If I work out how to post up a pic, I will do so later.
snow report
Refugio Aleman in Farellones is awesome think Les Allues in Three Valleys in terms of its altitude in respect to the 3 ski areas La Parva, Valle Nevado and El Colorado. It is a cheap army bunk bed style youth hostel but the vibe is ace and the food is great but i'd buy in some breakfast stuff like porridge and fruit.

GET A 4 X 4, it opens up so many possibilities and I'd just book hotels in towns as you go (get lonely planet and the internet) this way you can follow the snow dumps as they happen.

Los Andes is a wicked town which services both Portillo and Ski Arpa, the food restaurants are great and all the local food markets are great.

Finally if you have a 4x4 and feel up for an adventure you can head to Las Lenas(long drive maybe 8 hours) but amazing resort (so i hear)

Our 4x4 cost us £900 for 16 days - barter as you could probably get it cheaper.

Alternatively if you are only wanting to ski for 6 days or so then I'd advise taking a week stay in Los Andes and getting a lift to Ski Arpa for 3/4 days of cat skiing and then a bus to Portillo for 3/4 days skiing there.
ski holidays
FoulNative,

The first adrenalin rush is getting straight off the plane in Santiago at 8am then by midday I am skiing in La Parva at 3900m inhaling the thin dry crisp air. 6pm back at the youth hostel eating snacks of home made bread and gorgeous salsa by the bucket watching the light glow a industrial amber over a smog covered santiago down in the valley ... awesome!
latest report
plectrum wrote:
Whitegold wrote:
plectrum wrote:

Sorry if you had a lame time but my experience was awesome. I really enjoyed La Parva it is a super quick piste resort and unfortunately snow wasn't great for off piste and we didn't have the cash for a guide but I was informed that Valle Nevado had some good stuff. We met a great girl Miriam who was a ski guide from Kicking Horse and she had 0 complaints about Chile or Argentina.

We had great snow before Portillo and so really enjoyed their diamonds etc and we stayed in Los Andes so didn't need to book a week at 'club' Portillo.

Ski Arpa was FXXXing amazing skiing at 3600m to a back drop of Aconcagua, would have loved to have spent 3 days or so at this ski cat haven.

The flight is no problem the only bad bit is London to Madrid which is tiresome becuase it is so short. Madrid to Santiago is just one big sleep, which if you leave Madrid at 9-10pm is the perfect time to sleep so no jet lag issues.

Get a pick up car to travel around to as this is very useful. I really didnt like Termas de Chilan much it all felt pretty basic to me but 'stanton' has informed me that if done correctly it is a truly enjoyable resort with superb off piste and so maybe we just didn't see it at it's best.

In terms of scenary, the Andes is beautiful and the Chilian people are really friendly .. so thumbs up for Chile, sorry whitegold seems you didn't get the luck.... was the snow bad when you were there as this affects my enjoyment regardless of where I am?

I enjoyed Chile. It is a spectacular land. It has a cool, quirky culture. The people are friendly. The offpiste is good.

As per my previous post, I would urge people to go visit.

But that doesn't detract from the long journey, the high total cost, the underdeveloped stations and and tiny onpiste.

There are downsides as well as upsides.
ski holidays
Whitegold, i really didn't find the on piste that small though and i have skied PdS and 3V, Val and Tignes White Circle etc. In La Parva/El Colorado/Valle Nevado skiing between these resorts offered plenty of variety and distance covered. The journey isnt long as I keep trying to explain.

A journey to France normally goes like this. 4am leave house (knackered), 5am get to airport, 7.30am get on plane, 9.30 arrive + 1 hour = 10.30am, wait for coach, 11.45am transfer, 15.45pm arrive at resort, 4.15 check in to accomodation, 5.00pm go to ski shop, 6pm go shop, 7pm cook, 9pm have a few drinks, 11pm asleep, 7am wake up, 8.45am waiting at lift.

Total time from start of holiday until setting foot on snow = 27,45 hours (of which 8 hours is sleep)
total time in transit = 10.45 (of which 0 is good sleep)

A journey to chile goes like this. 4.30pm leave work (awake), 5.30 get to airport, 7.30pm get on plane to madrid, 9.30 + 1 hour = 10.30pm arrive in madrid (paris is now also an option), 11.30pm leave madrid for Chile, + 14 hours transit - 6 hours (spain - chile time diff) [this journey is natural nighttime so it is easy to sleep], 7.30 am arrive in Santiago. 8.30am(sort hire care or coach transfer and eat breakfast), 9.30am arrive in La Parva/Valle Nevado, 10am check in, 11am sort equipment, 11.30am on slopes.

Total time from start of holiday until setting foot on snow = 25 hours (of which 4 hours is watching 2 movies, 1 hour is eating and 9 hours is sleeping)
Total time in transit = 22 hours (of which 9 hours is good sleep)

To me this trip balances out. I would say in opposition to this the return journey is more during and i advise taking the day off work and trying to arrive back early so that you can relax do some food shopping and house keeping and snoozing!
snow report
Hey Relax in here .

I have been over there a few times but Im busy right now to investigate airfares.

Anyone found any decent flight prices (End August- September) , Its gone up a hell of a lot since my last visit in 2001 ?
snow report
stanton wrote:
Hey Relax in here .

I have been over there a few times but Im busy right now to investigate airfares.

Anyone found any decent flight prices (End August- September) , Its gone up a hell of a lot since my last visit in 2001 ?

Santa Rosa baby!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy