Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val Thorens

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Righty ho,

Me and the rest of the gang (there's currently six of us) have decided that Val Thorens (and the rest of the 3 valleys) looks to be a good bet for our January foray.

If anyone can help then please post comments, as we just need some info to help us make an informed decision. I've looked at Hoppo's review from a few year back in the A-Z section and that's helped, but we need some additional info from people who've perhaps visited more recently.

We're undecided on whether to do a 'DIY' holiday like we did to La Plagne in March (seperate flights, accomodation and transfers by rental car). Does anyone know of any reliable chalet rental companies in Val Thorens that has a good selection of properties, preferably not too big, as there will be between six and eight people going and we don't want to pay massive underoccupancy charges! Self catering is no problem (actually preferred, as we're all wannabe Gordon Ramseys!!Very Happy Very Happy ) and we don't have any experience of cateered places so don't really know what the benefit is, other than someone doing things for you.

Also, what's the drive like from either Grenoble or Lyon? We flew to Grenoble last time and drove from there and although mostly quite easy with it being motorways, it was a long drive. I take it Val Thorens is one of the closer resorts to either of these airports? Is it easier to fly to somewhere like Geneva or an Italian airport? Does anyone know any good transfer companies that would mean we didn't have to drive ourselves?

I've read that there are loads of restraunts and bars in VT, but does this nessseccarily make it the best place to stay in 3 Valleys and will we be paying a premium (and is it worth it) for the high altitude?

I've downloaded to piste map PDF and it looks like there's a good mix of green runs (for the beginners) and blues/reds, for the more experienced among us - is the piste map reflective of the actual veriety in slopes? we found la Plagne to have a good mix, alhough some of the reds were more like ungroomed blues and

I've most probably forgot to ask a really pertinant question so will add to this later if needs be. However, if you have any info you can share (and I don't mind whether it's from boraders OR skiers) then let me know, as we like the look of what VT and 3 Valleys has to offer - just want to do a bit of homework first!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Cheers all

Spesh
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Specialman,
A personal opinion is that if you want to go to 3V in january you are better off in one of the lower resorts as if there is bad weather it can be pretty bleak up in Val T as there are no trees. Courchevel is pleasant though you will be paying a greater premium for restaurants there than in Val T in my experience. There is though a very good variety of runs for all levels and it is not difficult for a moderately competent skier to get to Val T and back from there though I would not recommend the trip for beginners or very early intermediates.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The 3Vs isnt to everyone's taste but if offers a fantastic amount of skiing to suit all abilities. We've have had plenty of trips there and enjoyed each one.

Most places in VT should be reasonably convenient for the slopes and plenty of accom is ski in/ski out. I think VT offers better value than Meribel/Courcheval but it can be a bit bloody cold!

Make sure you head over to the 4th valley, Orelle. Not a great no of pistes there but a nice change and good spag bol etc available at the place at the bottom of the runs before heading back up. Also in good snow the runs on Mont Vallon are fantastic and nice and long Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The drive from Lyons is fine, about 2.75 hours in an under-powered Clio Wink If you are really bold, and have a TomTom to guide you, you can forsake a morning's skiing Shocked and avoid the autoroute tolls for a spectacular return journey. Four hours on the back roads that I will never forget - just stunning.

Don't know what VT is like in January but good fun in April - see the EOSB thread.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There are quite a few at snowHeads with a lot of experience of VT, not least because it wa the location of the EoSB the last two seasons.

The 3valleys is not particularly close to any airport really. You're looking at 2 1/2 - 3hrs whichever you choose. It is very accesable by train though, either from Paris, Chambery or direct by Eurostar from the UK.

Val Thorens boasts the Highest Michelin Starred Restaurant in Europe (the World?) at l'Oxalys which also has lots of self catered apartments. It's very nice but not a cheap place to stay though.
There are a lot of nice apartments 500m up the hill in 'Quartier Balcons'. Val 2400, Chalet Altitude or Balcons to name three of the complexes.

Though VT is excellent for snow-safety at the start or end of the season, it is a little lunar in appearance, not particularly cheap but a bargain compared to the prices in Courchevel Shocked
Maybe also look at Les Menuires: not pretty but cheaper and with good access to the rest of the 3v's.
Or Mottaret which is just above Meribel in the next valley over from VT. It doesn't (IMO) have the greatest skiing itself but is absolutely in the best spot for accessing all the rest of the 3valleys domain.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy