Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing and Mountain Biking

Poster: A snowHead
I notice that for a number of you skiing and mountain biking seem to go hand in hand, one statement I read even suggested that you could improve your skiing by taking up mountain biking. Apart from the obvious ie general fitness and maybe building strength in the legs what are the other benefits of mountain biking in realition to your skiing?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It gives you something to do in the mountains in the Summer Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
there's a certain amount of transference of skills to in terms of general confidence, trail reading, being out in nice places etc
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I did wonder if it was more to do with the common environment of the two sports rather than a fitness thing.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Come to think about it, maybe its just something to do with liking spending large amounts of money on equipment.....
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Biking is very simular to skiing, in the way that you climb to the the top, then fly down the descents. Cool

I think mountain biking will improve your confidence massively, overcoming the fears of steeps, heights, controls etc.... Although leaning back on ski's is a no-no and ends up in loss of control, as to mountain biking leaning back on a descent is useful, and tends to stop you being flung over your handlebars Shocked
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Liam wrote:
Biking is very simular to skiing, in the way that you climb to the the top, then fly down the descents. Cool

I think mountain biking will improve your confidence massively, overcoming the fears of steeps, heights, Shocked

I can see where you are coming from there, especially fears of steeps and related speed i guess
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I find it's the other way round. My skiing helps my mountainbiking by overcoming the fear of steep bits.

I can get down steeper stuff on skis than I can on my bike.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mosha Marc, Vice versa, i think they both help improve each other.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mosha Marc wrote:
I find it's the other way round. My skiing helps my mountainbiking by overcoming the fear of steep bits.

I can get down steeper stuff on skis than I can on my bike.

True. But I can follow much narrower paths at far higher speed on a bike Smile
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mogs, biking is

- fun
- gets you fit
- it's good to be out in the mountains when not surrounded by drunken idiots...
- if you can hack a steep rocky single trail on a bike then steeps on skis will hold no more terrors for you.
- fun Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I use my bike for fun and keeping fit (should use it a lot more though Sad ) but haven't used my mountain bike for what it was meant to be used for which is obviously in the mountains the way you guys do. I can certainly see the attraction. Strangely enough more since I started skiing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Both can wreck your knees, both give that adrenaline fix unavalable on most other terra firma sports. In both you end up going where you are looking
... so watching that rock or patch of ice equally dangerous for both.

Moving on from which both are safer wearing a helmet

(and I'm expecting flack for that! Shocked )
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

both give that adrenaline fix unavalable on most other terra firma sports

I think THAT is the common element.

Otherwise, you can WALK in the mountains, which most of you probably do anyway. But you won't get the SPEED and the adrenaline "fix" walking.

As for steeps, I don't relate the two. I can SAFELY descend much steeper terrain on ski than I DARE to attempt on bike. And I'm a better biker than I'm a skier. A much lower center of gravity on ski and the one metre long metal edge makes a ski a far better descend platform than any downhill bike.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
abc, I agree with what you say a ski can descend much better, but the terrains are much different, skiing is done on a smooth surface, biking done on a rough surface.
latest report
Liam wrote:
abc, I agree with what you say a ski can descend much better, but the terrains are much different, skiing is done on a smooth surface, biking done on a rough surface.

Ever tried sand? Wink

(or the fine, loose dirt, the kind they have all over the southwest of US & Sierra?)
ski holidays
Have biked on loose terrain, control is minimul, if not nothing, if the ground moves underneath you, there is nothing you can do, except ride it out until you get to the bottom.

Mountain bikes move by the rotation of wheels, as skis move by sliding.
ski holidays
Mogs wrote:
I use my bike for fun and keeping fit (should use it a lot more though Sad ) but haven't used my mountain bike for what it was meant to be used for which is obviously in the mountains the way you guys do. I can certainly see the attraction. Strangely enough more since I started skiing

Is it a real mountain bike, or a pattern bike? Basically, how much did it cost? If it's under about £350 it probably wouldn't stand up to being used off road for very long.
snow report
It's a mountain bike, bought second hand but in good condition. I think about £300 new. Being honest I tend to use cycle paths so a mountain bike is an overkill. I am not sure how much off road (or rough terrain) I am likely to do on it but I do fancy trying some testing but prepared mountain tracks. I am afraid my age is more against me than my bike Sad I like the idea of trail reading though and having another reason to be in the mountains in the summer than just walking
latest report
Mogs, Just noticed your location there. Have a look at the Afan trail, lots to play around with and you can decide at the time whether you fancy the forest ride or the more direct wink ride to base camp. I've lived in Cardiff for a while now and normally ride up and around the Brecon Beacons and have only recently found the wonders of Afan and Cwmcarn. They are both stunning rides. Both these places are fully laid out mountain bike trails so there won't be any nasty surprises!

More here

[Edit: also, have a look at the Sustrans network for gentle but tidy trails]
snow conditions
Mountain biking looks a bit sad. It is wise to stay clear if you are over about 25.
snow report
Singletrack is great practice for tight tree lines, decision making/route choice at speed, general terrain reading practice/navigation

Plus you get to spend cash on lots of shiny kit which needs constant upgrading even if its not really worn out wink

Biking in a ski resort teaches you how steep ski runs really are - tried to get down the Pierre a Ric once in Grands Montets on a bike - huge mistake could barely walk it rolling eyes
snow conditions
Whitegold, Exactly what age should one stop skiing in order not to look 'a bit sad'?! Noticed your comment about Longboards as well Puzzled. Think I might take up knitting then Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Mogs, As fatbob says singletrack is good, quick decision making is required or you can end up anywhere, another good trail out in Wales is the Marin Trail, which is in Betys Coen ( sp????) You should give that a go, its not to technical, and is suitable for an intermediate rider and upwards.
ski holidays
Thanks for all the info. I like the sound of single track riding. I will definately check out the Afan trail which is pretty close to where I live. Where do you obtain your trail maps? Is there normally a depot to obtain these and give out info on conditions etc?
ski holidays
Mogs, You'll probably be able to google it, and print a PDF map of. Not had a proper look through this site www.mbwales.com it has loads of trails on.
snow report
I just did a skills course at Glentress at the weekend and we spend most of the day comparing it to skiing as the other 2 people in my group also skied in the winter.

In mountain biking its all in the hips apparently, you have to get your weight forward( always being told this when skiing), pressurise the front wheel (tips of the skis) for more control when going round corners, have more weight on your outside leg ( ski) when cornering, there were loads of similarities and we were even talking about carving with our bikes at one point. hopefully if I get good at one it will help with the other Smile
snow report
Whitegold,
Quote:

Mountain biking looks a bit sad. It is wise to stay clear if you are over about 25.

On the contrary, I'm almost always grinning on the mountain-bike, even when it's tipping with rain. You obviously don't know how to have fun NehNeh
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Whitegold, as a 46 year old not quite sure you are right. Besides if you stick to singletrack in woods, only the squirrels get to see you!
ski holidays
lynseyf wrote:
hopefully if I get good at one it will help with the other Smile

From what I am reading here it seems that most agree that mountain biking will improve your skiing. And I can see the logic in that. But do you think the same applies in reverse? That skiing will also improve your biking?
snow report
Whitegold wrote:

I found the best way to "stay clear" is to leave the sub-25 year old in my dust.
ski holidays
From what I am reading here it seems that most agree that mountain biking will improve your skiing. And I can see the logic in that. But do you think the same applies in reverse? That skiing will also improve your biking?

I certainly found it easier to understand what they were trying to get me to do on the skills course i did because of what I'd been learning skiing this winter
snow report
I've thought about this for a long time. No, not the linkage between skiing and mountain biking but confessing to the fact that my full-susser (mountain bike!) has not been out of the garage since March because….. I've become a Roadie. I bought an Italian bike - a Wilier (which is pronounced Vilier or if you must use the English W sound, then the name must be preceded by the word "Big") wink and am thoroughly enjoying put the miles in on the tarmac (and that's nothing to do with the lycra Smile ). Compare to mountain biking, it seems to be giving me a better workout and the lungs are certainly getting more use. So no more of this Shimano stuff, it's Campagnolo all the way.

Oddly, I still haven't had the call to join any of the teams in the Tour de France yet Puzzled ; must be that phone line on the blink again.
ski holidays
jtr, wait a bit, although there are only 3 weeks to go, still plenty of time for a few more riders to pull out for medical reasons wink and it starts in the UK this year.
snow conditions
stoatsbrother, Good point. I believe that "having" asthma and therefore having a legitimate reason for taking the associated medication seems to be the current trend in the peleton. wink
snow report
Mogs, There's a lot of info about S Wales riding on this site: http://www.mtb-wales.com/index.php

Their forum seems to have a number of friendly folks fixing outings, if you would like to use the interweb to meet strangers. I like MTBing - nearest thing to skiing without snow.

Sustrans have a good website too with maps of their routes: http://www.sustrans.org.uk/default.asp
snow conditions
I'm off for a weekend mountain biking in Wales this weekend. It's North Wales though. Not sure where we're going, my mates are taking me. Very Happy

Then going for a long weekend in Glentress second weekend in July. Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
Kramer, Llandegla is a handy set of trails just across the border, it also leads to the moors, Llangollen's Horseshoe Pass, single track descents etc. If you end up somewhere else let me know what you thought of it. Cheers... and have fun.
snow conditions
Actually Scarpa we're going to be pretty close to your neck of the woods. You busy?
ski holidays
If mountain biking and skiing go so well together (and I agree they do), then why don't I see more of you out here in the summer skiing in the morning and mountain biking in the afternoon? One liftpass would do all - same lifts, and you can do both in the same holiday. Puzzled Sounds perfect to me, although I have to say that my sort of mountain biking is out on the tracks in Surrey or Scotland and not haring down black runs - nuts. NehNeh

Starting today we have the Mondial du VTT which is bigger than the Mondial du Snowboard and/or the Mondial du Ski when we have the PSB. The whole centre of town is closed to traffic for tents and marquees and jumps and goodness know what else. Shocked
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy