Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

piste maps / snowheads Scottish Trip?

Poster: A snowHead
I know this has been discussed before but I have got fed up with trawling back through hundreds of references to piste maps... so:

Which is the best website for good large piste maps?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 19-06-07 9:34; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowball,
The best piste map is to be found
here Very Happy

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 17-06-07 15:08; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snowball, Many resorts now have superb hi res pdf maps on their websites.

Here is one of the best http://ski.larosiere.net/pdf/plan_rosieres.pdf
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've got a nice collection on my lap-top wink

When I was doing a bit of research on where to go next, I automatically saved any decent maps I came across. Most of the resort home pages have pretty decent pdfs.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I did think there was a website which collected them.
I was actually looking for a large one of Sestriere/ Milky-way but their site seems to have nothing much on it.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
snowball, that's probably becuase the piste map isn't up to much either! It's s very 80's attempt at a piste map I'm afraid.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A website called skimaps.com was pretty good but is no longer there, for the alps try www.alpineskimaps.com its ok. This site is better http://www.skiindex.com/world/ but many of the maps from the more exotic locations are defunct links back to skimaps.com.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I am interested in this as the online versions of Val Thorens / Serria Nevada / Les 2 Aples were all crap.
Here is my personal fav.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm sure snowHead 's must have a 'vault' where these sorts of things could be lodged for future reference, and even if there is copyright to consider then the 'vault' could hold the URL's of piste maps. In fact I'm sure I followed a link once that took me to a suitable area. Perhaps if it exists, and is more widely publicised, then it could be useful for this sort of thing.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
II wrote:
I am interested in this as the online versions of Val Thorens / Serria Nevada / Les 2 Aples were all crap.
Here is my personal fav.

have used this map sooooooo many times, happy days have been had in scotland. i think i will do a scotland pilgramage next season, maybe a week visiting them all, snow depending of course. sure this will bring back a shed load of memories. maybe even a snowheads does scotland meet?????
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
graeme,
It's hard enough to organise a Winterhighland meet up that everyone will turn up to and we all live up here - let alone a Snowhead one Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
well i am deffo gonna get up to scotland next season, i have spent so many days/weekends/weeks/full seasons up in scotland, it kinda became a second home to me at one point.
maybe a skiboarders versus skiers meet will drag a few out of the woodwork............ Toofy Grin
most of my time was spent in glenshee though,
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Frosty the Snowman, What's the point of posting a map of Holland Puzzled wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
www.alpineskimaps.com are using really old maps for the Jungfrau Region...doesn't do the region any justice Sad

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 18-06-07 6:50; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Spyderman, Holland has a 150km ski resort with the cheapest and best pizza in the world for lunch Shocked Shocked Shocked This is fantastic news as Holland is a doddle to get to from us. I am soooo happy. Just had a look and the family 6 day pass is €493 Very Happy snowHead
ski holidays
The other place I am thinking of going is Engelberg and that has a nice big map (though for a rather small resort)
And this one of Val d'Isere/Tignes is a model of what they should be like.
snow report
There's a pdf map on the tignes webpage
snow report
The trouble with a snowheads meet in Scotland is you have to arrange it well in advance and the trouble with Scottish skiing is that you have to respond to the snow of the moment.
The best thing would be to put out a call when the snow arrives and looks set to stay a few days and see if you can attract a party. I would come if I'm free - especially to Nevis Range!
snow report
I'd love to ski Scotland. Lift share from Sheffield anyone??
ski holidays
There's a big 30MB picture of the Skiwelt region here
snow report
 brian
brian
graeme, I'd be up for a day trip at least.
latest report
Is www.skimaps.com still running?
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
Is www.skimaps.com still running?

dunno, but a change to .co.uk gives this Very Happy

http://ds.dial.pipex.com/town/estate/kac90/p6.htm
snow report
I'm up for a scottish trip, spring seems best for decent snow cover IMVHO.........
ski holidays
So, who will volunteer to let us know when the snow seems set to be right? (preferably when you can ski the back of Nevis).
I can't be looking every couple of days just in case, and anyway I find it isn't always clear from the website how much there really is. Probably it needs to be someone up there on the ground.
snow report
 brian
brian
snowball, I'm not actually up there, but I follow the reports on winterhighland of those who are. Imo, you also need to track the weather, there are days of good cover that just aren't worth it.
latest report
Another possibility would be to fix a day say a Friday so that those who want to can make a weekend of it and book flights etc in the hope that somewhere is reasonable. If there is nothing looking decent turning it into a mountain bike session somewhere like Glentress where you can hire equipment and give it a bash if you haven't done it before.
latest report
T Bar, I think the chances of it not being very good are too high. There will probably only be half a dozen week-ends (if that) with the right conditions in a season these days. Sometimes they are very early and very late with nothing in between. Of course if people were game to do some touring (and there were someone to guide us who knows where to go) then that would broaden the possibilities.
And brian, yes, sure, the weather forecast is very important
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowball,
I suspect if you chose a weekend in March yuor chances of having reasonable conditions at one of the areas is at least 50:50. I guess the problem with last minute decisions is that for a lot of people it isn't very practical with families/work or with trying to arrange cheap travel. But I agree that the odds are not ideal which was why I suggested an alternative acitivity if there is interest. No reason why there could not be a provisional weekend suggested and then if conditions are poor those who don't want to go don't have to.
snow report
Having just looked at the Histoic Snow record for Nevis Range at SCGB I reckon round about the second (or possibly third) week in March has been the best over the last 4 years.
Trouble is, that's when I shall probably be in Engelberg since mid March was the best there too.
ski holidays
i favour an off the cuff meet when the planets are in alignment/plenty snow. if anyone wants a lift/share costs from north east then its not a problem. this could work god dammit
snow conditions
This thread needs to be renamed or re-started elsewhere (perhaps Snow Events as a sticky?).
See "Guess where" thread for motivation.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 19-06-07 9:36; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Re-named. (forgot I started the thread)
ski holidays
I would hate for you to come and the snow / weather to be poo-poo (it can be) I live a little over 1 hour from Nevis and only go when the weather is good and there is reasonable snow cover.
Johnboy came one day last season and the weather was rather poor and and I went the next day and it was great.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=19090&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=326

Having said that March is probably the best bet for cover and weather
snow report
snowball,
I have put a thread in Events
latest report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:

You are a very naughty boy! But I agree that it is one of the best on-line maps I have seen (warning to dial-ups - it's about 2.8MB).
snow report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:

...although I heard a rumour that this one will soon be out of date as there is serious talk of opening up skiing on the other side of combe des moulins. Others may know more.

David
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy