Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help me choose my new pair of skis

Poster: A snowHead
Hey Guys,

For my next pair of skis, I'm trying to choose between 4 pairs of skis: Salomon XWing Fury, K2 Apache Recon, Elan Magfire 12 and Nordica Top Fuel.

The guy in the ski shop (who honestly knows his stuff) highly recommended the Magfires, but they're a little bit heavier than the other skis and I'm worried that'll affect their manuverability in the air (I love my airtime). The Top Fuels recieved a good rap from one of the other guys there, as did the Recons (he preferred the top fuels though).

All the reviews I can find on the net say that all the skis are great skis, but there aren't any reviews that put those skis head to head. I've got about 7 days to make a decision between 2 of those pairs to take down to the slopes for a demo...help!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Magfires are fantastic. I opted for the 10s though as they're a wider than the 12s at shovel and tail - not sure if they're lighter but they certainly don't seem heavy. Also, for my ability level the 10s seemed a better bet - I don't consider myself an expert enough skier to warrant the extra cost of the 12. The 10s skied everything with ease this year and I hoinestly couldn't fault them in any way at all. Recent previous skis were Salomon 1080s and 1080 Foils - the Magfire 10s for me were far more capable at everything but I don't do park.
The Magfire would definitely be one of my choices - and probably the Nordica Top Fuel . Salmon and K2 - far too common Laughing
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
crazyjockey, Welcome to snowHeads snowHead

I've tried the Top Fuel's & the K2's. Prefered the Nordica's also. Haven't tried the Elan's. Deffo try the Top Fuel's though. Have tried loads of different Salomon skis and didn't like any of them.
In the end it all comes down to personal taste though.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Recons are a good ski allround and the Fury's are ok as well. You'd be happy on either for a 50-50 split.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Personally I' try the Nordicas & the Elans but then I'm a lardy. I've really liked all of the Hot Rods I've skied.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
fatbob, tried Enforcers tele yet?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
comprex wrote:
fatbob, tried Enforcers tele yet?

Not tried many skis tele to be honest - and I only really can tell the difference between long & short, heavy & light.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the advice guys.

I've been doing some more research and narrowed it down to the Magfire 12's and Top Fuels.

Petemills, the magfire's I'll be getting are the 2008 model, and strangely enough the 2008 Magfire 12 is roughly equivalent to the 2007 magfire 10. The 2007 Magfire 12 is now equivalent to the 2008 Magfire 14. It had me confused for a little while! Here's a link to the new ski URL shortened

Anyway I've pretty much settled on the Magfires due to the great reviews/advice I've read. I'll be hitting the slopes on the weekend of the 30th and 1st, so I'll post back here once I've had a go on the skis.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I skied the 2008 range in April this year and enjoyed the Magfire range, they seemed much lighter than my M666's and also seemed to have the bindings mounted slightly further forward. However for on piste the Speedwave 14 just blew my mind, I have never skied anything so positive on ice, it just eliminated it Shocked Can't coment on the other skis as I have not skied them.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dypcdiver i tried the speedwave 14 at last year's PSB and as anyone else who was there will testify there was plenty of opportunity to test them on ice! As you say they perform very well in those conditions........
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Roger C,
Were you on the 2008 model, because it is a whole lot different to the 2007/6 one, which I didn't like much? The graphics give you the impression that you can almost see through the ski, weird!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've skied the Nordica Top fuel, Definitely a great ski. I opted for the nitrous when demoing because I wanted something with a touch narrower waist since I already had some overlap in that width. The top fuel has the ability to do everything you want with a tad more ability in the bumps than the magfire 12. I liked it when skiing trees and crud the most.

I've also skied the Elan Magfire 12 Women counter part The Wave spice LOVE IT!
The Magfire 12 is a bit wider in the waist (80) than the 10 (75) and is an burly ski with a lot of great properties. Carves well, blasts through crud, doesn't seem to have a speed limit. The only thing its not ideal for is bumps. I skied some bumps with mine at A basin and did okay but it was not the sweet spot for this ski

I have not skied the K2 Recon, but have a friend with it who absolutely loves it. He can do pretty much anything he wants with it. But I still kick his butt Wink

I know I'm not helpful, but this is my experience with these skis.
Have fun shopping!
I do!!!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Heres my review of the Elan Wave spice, which is the Women specific counter part to the Magfire 12.
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=26227
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi crazyjockey and welcome..

I think you've missed an important factor here ! What colour are your boots and Salopettes / Trousers ? wink wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
petemillis wrote:
The Magfires are fantastic. I opted for the 10s though as they're a wider than the 12s at shovel and tail - not sure if they're lighter but they certainly don't seem heavy.
The Magfire would definitely be one of my choices - and probably the Nordica Top Fuel .

According to my catalog
Mag 12 = 126/80/109
Mag 10 = 125/75/109
The Mag 10 doesn't have the wave technology and has a wood core, while the Mag 12 has the wave technology and has a laminate wood core which will definitely make it stiffer.
ski holidays
Timberwolf, My Krypton Storms are blue and don't go with any of my skis, except maybe my Karma's. Maybe I need to check with SZK to see if I can snag a pair of the Kryzma's this year. The tootsie roll brown would go with nearly everything.
latest report
SnowHot, and you still bought them rolling eyes ........ Honestly, it's just not the done thing wink wink
ski holidays
Krypton Storm

Krypton Kryzma

One of these two should match my skis rolling eyes
ski holidays
SnowHot just so we're clear, you know I was pulling your chain right ?
ski holidays
Timberwolf, just so you know, I'm blonde, but not THAT blonde!
I'd really like to get some Pink boots to go with these snazzy ski duds! Can you help?
ski holidays
SnowHot, suitably embarassed......... Embarassed Embarassed Laughing
ski holidays
SnowHot wrote:
petemillis wrote:
The Magfires are fantastic. I opted for the 10s though as they're a wider than the 12s at shovel and tail - not sure if they're lighter but they certainly don't seem heavy.
The Magfire would definitely be one of my choices - and probably the Nordica Top Fuel .

According to my catalog
Mag 12 = 126/80/109
Mag 10 = 125/75/109
The Mag 10 doesn't have the wave technology and has a wood core, while the Mag 12 has the wave technology and has a laminate wood core which will definitely make it stiffer.

The Magfire 12s I've just bought (2006/07 model) are 116/76/102.
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
SnowHot wrote:
petemillis wrote:

According to my catalog
Mag 12 = 126/80/109
Mag 10 = 125/75/109

The Magfire 12s I've just bought (2006/07 model) are 116/76/102.

The catalog I have is the 2008 catalog, which includes the wave technology product line.
The preliminary catalog showed the Mag 12's at 82 in the waist, but the actual catalog has them at 80.
My 2008 Wave Spice is 80 in the waist.
ski holidays
SnowHot wrote:
I've skied the Nordica Top fuel, Definitely a great ski. I opted for the nitrous when demoing because I wanted something with a touch narrower waist since I already had some overlap in that width. The top fuel has the ability to do everything you want with a tad more ability in the bumps than the magfire 12. I liked it when skiing trees and crud the most.

You just made my decision harder! I was settled on the magfire, but I do a fair bit of mogul skiing...hmm

@Timberwolf: My pants are black and my boots are Technica Ventos, which are a grey/orange color. They go well with the orange Magfires which was, of course, my upmost concern when choosing new skis Wink
snow report
crazyjockey wrote:
SnowHot wrote:

You just made my decision harder! I was settled on the magfire, but I do a fair bit of mogul skiing...hmm

@Timberwolf: My pants are black and my boots are Technica Ventos, which are a grey/orange color. They go well with the orange Magfires which was, of course, my upmost concern when choosing new skis Wink

If you're thinking moguls then you may want to go with the 10's they are a touch softer. I preferred my karmas and "the ski" in the bumps, but then "the ski" is a bump specific ski.

Make no mistake, I love my Wave Spice, and you'll probably love the Mag 12, too!
Just don't expect them to be spectacular in the bumps because they are a stiff ski.

If I were to pick a ski from the elan line up for an all around ski that will do most anything, I'd go with the 888!
I haven't been on it but skied with Flexon Phil and his son. His kid rocks in the bumps on those and loves them on pretty much all terrain.

Maybe he'll chime in here at some point.
snow conditions
I ended up buying the Magfire 12's and had a play with them on the weekend. They kick ass so hard. I loved them on all the terrain I skiied (I skiied on everything except powder), and they even handled OK in the bumps. The main thing I noticed was that even blasting down the hill at 70-80 km/h there was no chatter whatsoever. I get to use them again in a few weeks and I can't wait!
ski holidays
crazyjockey, Are they the 2006/7 or 2007/8 model? not that it really matters now because you have bought them and are enjoying them, I'm just curious.
snow report
They're the 2007/8 model, which haven't even appeared on the www.elanskis.com website yet. You can tell the difference because the 08 12's are orange and have the speedwave technology built in, whereas the 07 model is green and doesn't have speedwave.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
crazyjockey, Ok, I skied them in April this year, they felt lively and light compared to my every day M666's. Have fun.
snow report
I have a Powerpoint version of the unofficial elan catalog if anyone is interested in it, send me a pm and I'll email it.
Here is the spec on the 2008 Elan Magfire 12

and what the ski looks like:

My Elan Wave spice is supposed to be the same dimensions but is 80 in the waist instead of 82. I don't know if they made a mistake in the unofficial catalog, but I'm guessing that is the discrepancy. What is the actual waist of the Mag12 (82?)

ski holidays
crazyjockey, I'd love to compare notes with you. I think these will be my ski of choice for most of 2008. The Wave Spice Rocks!!!
(disclaimer - I've been known to be phickle in my ski gear) Shock
snow report
No worries. Any hints as to what sort of info you want to compare?
snow conditions
crazyjockey wrote:
No worries. Any hints as to what sort of info you want to compare?

here are some of my comments from the review I did.

I'd like to get an idea how the wave spice compares to the Mag12.
As seen above the wave spice is listed at 82 but in the final catalog and in reality its 80. I am assuming the Mag 12 is actually 82.
I was surprised at how well the wave spice handled short turns, although short turns aren't their specialty.
[img]
Rating on a scale of 1-5
Short turns: 4
Medium turns: 5
Long turns: 5+
Rebound: 4
Stability: 5
Forgiveness: 5
Grip: 4
Crud: 5+
Over all impression: 5+
The tested length was perfect for me at 126 lbs, but both of the guys said they would go for something more in the 170-175 ish range.
The side cut is definitely not a carver cut but perfect for the type of ski that it is.
If you're an advanced female skier looking for something that will let you conquer the mountain. The Elan Wave spice is definitely worth a try! [/img]
latest report
Hi,
I have just bought bought a pair of 2007/2008 Magfire 12s for 70% off retail here in Christchurch, New Zealand, the ones that are orange in colour. Not great snow conditions this year, hence the fire sale. Took them up to Mt Hutt yesterday, they were fantastic on the ice, definitely hold an edge, excellent in the piste and even better in the very limited off-piste.
I spent a bit of time searching Magfire on the net, Elan put up an interactive site where you can calculate the best length of any of their models for your height and skiing ability and it includes all the 2007 models. No matter what information I entered the site kept indicating that I should be on the 176s or the 184s, it was a no-brainer as the ones on sale were 168cm. Being somewhat more of a sedate skier, 57 yrs old, 250lbs and 6ft 1inches, and having skied on carver rentals this winter, I had deduced that a shorter wider pair of skis would suit where I was at, in terms of fitness, number of days skiing/year and being able make short radius terms to enable me to ski with my 5ft 6inch partner. I took a punt, (quaint English term for gamble), and bought them, definitely was slightly nervous about whether I was too big for them etc. I am probably intermediate to advanced, well I arrived on the mountain intermediate and left advanced. The Magfire 12's were an excellent choice.

Check out the following address.

http://www.ski-depot.com/videoskishop/pdf/elan08catalog.pdf

I still wasn't confident to let them run, the light was flat, maybe they may be a bit too short for high speed for my size, that still has to be tested, the Waveflex kept them in contact with the snow and they didn't feel too loose at speed.
The following is from the pdf file:
Magfire 14 _ Fusion
Construction: WaveFlex, RST Sidewall, DualTi, Laminated Woodcore,
Isometric Topsheet
Length (Radius): 152 (11.9) 160 (13.4) 168 (15.4) 176 (17.2) 184 (19.0)
Geometry: 126/82/109 126/82/109 126/82/109 126/82/109 126/82/109
Binding: ELD 12.0 F black/orange WB
Sales Code: AD0.451
Magfire 12 _ orange Fusion
Construction: WaveFlex, RST Sidewall, MonoTi, Laminated Woodcore
Length (Radius): 152 (11.9) 160 (13.4) 168 (15.4) 176 (17.2) 184 (19.0)
Geometry: 126/82/109 126/82/109 126/82/109 126/82/109 126/82/109
Binding: ELD 12.0 F black/orange WB

Regards
snow conditions
MrT, I suspect the Elan site was quoting for you weight, not too sure I would recommend the 168's for off piste, they might just just lack a bit of float. Shocked
latest report
Hi Dypcdiver,
I tend to agree with you, the compromise with regards to both price and length was backed up by the desire to ski well on the piste, which the beasties have allowed me to do. I am looking forward to bit of Kiwi fresh snow, 10-15cm cf US 50cm, which they should allow me to handle compared to thinner waisted carver skis. The Elan site didn't quote for weight, which I found surprising, its focus was on height and experience. I will post a comment on float, if I am fortunate enough to catch some new snow.

With my weight, 82 cm waists are no problem in terms of handling them. My next purchase will be a pair of Kingswood powder skis, check out this site, all you non-NZ powderhounds, NZ made and with our NZ dollar slowly devaluing against the US dollar, make that purchase for 2007/2008

www.kingswoodskis.com

(I have no interests in the company)

Regards
ski holidays
MrT, Sounds like a good compromise, (at 70% off you should have bought 2 pair) Cool I have done three seasons on Elan M666's but at 176cm and I'm only 75kg! I have found them to be an excellent allround ski.
BTW do you know Tiffany's restaurant in Christchurch? The owner Noel was here in Spain a few weeks back visiting his brother who is a good mate of mine. We all went down to Valencia to watch a round of the (say it quietly) Americas cup. Embarassed
snow conditions
Lots of interesting things said about Elan, can't say that I'm not pleased. Coming out of the closet, I am the Elan man so if you have any questions just fire away and I will see if I can answer, you can get me on gavin@gbrsports.co.uk. The 2007/8 skis can be seen on www.gbrsports.co.uk although there is still some work going on on the site. The actual Elan site will have all the new stuff on from the 31/8, so I've been told by the factory.
latest report
Dypcdiver,
Hey just checked the invoice, I paid 40% of retail rather than 30%, but hey still a great deal. I don't know Noel but I have had the privilege of dining at Tiffany's, some years ago, it is definitely top end, white table clothes/napkins and probably silver service, a special occasions place. The America's Cup, what can I say....
The Magifires are my first pair of Elan skis and if I somehow ski them out, I probably will buy another pair in the years to come. I still like the idea of a pair of Kingswoods or building my own powderskis. I am intrigued by the fact that it is possible to actually make your own skis, check out this:
www.skibuilders.com/howto/
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy