Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The worlds most northerly ski resort

Poster: A snowHead
Where is it?

Has anyone been there?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
David Goldsmith must have, he's been everywhere else!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Riksgränsen, Sweden, apparently, at 68N (a bit above the arctic circle).

No, I haven't been there. I was once in Stockholm in February, and my Swedish colleague had offered to take me cross-country skiing, but there turned out to be no snow anywhere near. Sad
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
A very good question. I know that Riksgransen in Sweden is reputed to be Europe's most northerly, though nearby Narvik in Norway - a port with an impressively high mountain - could be more northerly. Not sure. Narvik doesn't really function as a ski resort.

Several snowHeads have been to Riksgransen, including myself. A remarkable experience, with the skiing probably at its best between mid-April and mid-May in a typical winter. Make sure you visit when the lifts are open for the midnight sun.

Here's an article about the place by Stephen Wood in The Indpendent.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Here's a link
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
yes, the darn question was too easy - I should have said " no googling allowed ".

Anyways that whats the swedish tourism board says in its site www.visit-sweden.com

( can someone show me how to cut and paste as the real address is long )

snowHead
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You could use tinyUrl or makeashorterlink.com
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Saariselkä in Finland seems slightly more north than Riksgränsen.

I also saw they have some sort of short downhill ski track sometimes near Nordkapp.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
First thought was Aleyska in Alaska, but apparently it's "only" about 61N.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Are there no lifts in spitzbergen
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Holy thread resurrection. 20 years
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Twenty years on - who knows....!! Toofy Grin
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@boarder2020, no shame there, and its a good little hill. Base elevation 250' ASL!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kiruna is circa 67 degrees - know quite a few Scandis who go there, though don't know about actual lifts, also Abisko Lodge which is Stefan Palm's Heli location - but obviously no lifts.

I've skied Narvik and there seemed a good few lifts and boarded/skied Riks about 3x inc heli back in the day.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
David Goldsmith wrote:
A very good question. I know that Riksgransen in Sweden is reputed to be Europe's most northerly, though nearby Narvik in Norway - a port with an impressively high mountain - could be more northerly. Not sure. Narvik doesn't really function as a ski resort.

Several snowHeads have been to Riksgransen, including myself. A remarkable experience, with the skiing probably at its best between mid-April and mid-May in a typical winter. Make sure you visit when the lifts are open for the midnight sun.

What an absolute load of utter boll*cks.

Riksgransen is a box ticking novelty.

Narvik is the real deal.
snow report
holidayloverxx wrote:
Holy thread resurrection. 20 years

In another 20yrs these might be the most southerly (northern hemisphere) ski resorts. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
@Mike Pow, that's a tad harsh about Riks, have you skied there?

I know three Scandi UIAGM that did seasons there, and that's where they all skied growing up as it were, and its the place for all the up-and-coming Scandi Freeriders, that said did seem quite small, but they'll be there ripping when all the classic Alpine resorts have closed for the season.

Admittedly my trips there were a sort of add-on after ski-touring Lyngen and the outer islands.
ski holidays
Weathercam wrote:
@Mike Pow, that's a tad harsh about Riks, have you skied there?

I know three Scandi UIAGM that did seasons there, and that's where they all skied growing up as it were, and its the place for all the up-and-coming Scandi Freeriders, that said did seem quite small, but they'll be there ripping when all the classic Alpine resorts have closed for the season.

Admittedly my trips there were a sort of add-on after ski-touring Lyngen and the outer islands.

Yes

On the same trip I skied Narvik I took a day trip to Riksgransen.

Snow was good / same as Narvik. Lift accessed terrain was ok.

Paled in comparison with the lift accessed terrain available at Narvik.

If I had to choose between a mid-May trip to Riksgransen or one of the classic Alpine resorts like Engelberg it would be Engelberg every day and twice on Sunday.
ski holidays
Appreciate this is a massive thread resurrection. A friend of mine works at Saariselkä resort, he said to me it was the most northerly ski area in Europe, has he been lying to me? Laughing Laughing
latest report
Nope id say hes a few hundred metres further N than Narvik according to their Lat and Longs
ski holidays
lol @adithorp, specially if you read whitetroll's posts Wink

Can go ski touring on Svalbard, but afaik, you need to go with a guide and be armed. Polar bear encounters (and fatalities) do happen.
Kiruna is positively southern in comparison.
ski holidays
A re-evaluation to put my perspective in perspective.

I love small hills which have good terrain and good snow. More than happy to spend days / weeks at such venues. Anyone who's read about or watched my videos from small resorts around the ski world will know that.

I'm not a jibber or a cliff jumper so the appeal of Riksgransen is somewhat lost on me despite recognising that it's a marvelous resort for this.

It had a cool vibe and the conditions were good on the day I visited albeit a tad windy.

This video shows that if you have the skills and like the 'mini-golf' style of skiing & jibbing then you'll have a ball.

But the terrain and conditions I like to ski can be seen from the 4:05 mark which is only accessible by a long tour or an expensive heli-ride.

That terrain looks more like Lofoten, Lyngen and Abisko.

http://youtube.com/v/ogZSF_5hV2M&t=2s

In comparison you can skate off the lift at Narvik and ski long lines of open bowl and treed terrain

This vid is nothing special but it shows the type of terrain available

And the spectacular views

http://youtube.com/v/uUBW7AtD_Xs&t=49s

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 2-04-24 9:53; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Mike Pow wrote:
David Goldsmith wrote:

What an absolute load of utter boll*cks.

Riksgransen is a box ticking novelty.

Narvik is the real deal.

Ahhh...but did it 20 years ago when he wrote the post?!? Laughing
snow report
Mike Pow wrote:

http://youtube.com/v/uUBW7AtD_Xs&t=49s

Gorgeous views. Narvik is a town of >14,000. Mad that these places exist so far north!
latest report
Tromso, further north, has about 73000. Furthest northern city in the world according to wiki. I went in what I wondered was the most northerly Intersport shop which had DH skis but forget which small town (Arctic circle, Norway I mean). Wasn't skiing, Hurtigruten northern lights trip.
latest report
Kirkenes, Norway right next to border with Russia.
ski holidays
@Rogerdodger, yes, that would be it, thanks. Didn't buy anything!
latest report
Rogerdodger wrote:
Kirkenes, Norway right next to border with Russia.

Looks like Sandnes near Kirkenes, Norway is the winner

http://www.sandnesil.no/

Closely followed by Tromso Alpinpark outside of Tromso, Norway

https://tromsoalpinpark.no/en/

Lying Swedes Wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I cross country skied at 69.0443° N (Kilpisjärvi), although not really a resort
latest report
The world's 3 most northerly (downhill) ski resorts in 2024 are...

1. Spitzbergen (Norway)
2. Nordvågen (Norway)
3. Sandnes (Norway)

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Tue 2-04-24 12:43; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
swskier wrote:
Appreciate this is a massive thread resurrection. A friend of mine works at Saariselkä resort, he said to me it was the most northerly ski area in Europe, has he been lying to me? Laughing Laughing

I don't know if it's the most northerly but a few years ago I stayed in Saariselkä for a week with some friends and it's a nice little resort. Very Happy
ski holidays
@Mike Pow, but think Narvik season is a lot shorter than Riks?

My Narvik day trip, and really it's unfair to conclude anything about a resort based on one day, was in miserable end of season conditions, as that time of year Narvik gets warmer than Lyngen & Riks as it's further South and is affected by the sea more there.

I've overnighted at a superb lodges in Riks and, had some good times, but that was way back when a good apres resort buzz was nearly as important as the skiing Laughing

And talking of small hill terrain, I'm just back from a cross country ski tour to an area we call Telly Tubby Land due to the rolling terrain Very Happy
snow report
Weathercam wrote:
@Mike Pow, but think Narvik season is a lot shorter than Riks?

My Narvik day trip, and really it's unfair to conclude anything about a resort based on one day, was in miserable end of season conditions, as that time of year Narvik gets warmer than Lyngen & Riks as it's further South and is affected by the sea more there.

I've overnighted at a superb lodges in Riks and, had some good times, but that was way back when a good apres resort buzz was nearly as important as the skiing Laughing

And talking of small hill terrain, I'm just back from a cross country ski tour to an area we call Telly Tubby Land due to the rolling terrain Very Happy

Definitely

That's why I suggested Engelberg over Riksgransen for May.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy