Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Australia: three days of jail time for stealing skis

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:
Australian police are cracking down on ski thefts this winter by establishing a permanent base at Australian ski resorts in a bid to enforce a zero tolerance policy. Police will now be permanently visible at Mount Hothman, Mount Buller and Falls Creek ski resorts in a bid to cut increasing crime in these areas.

To add to the policy of zero tolerance police will give three days of jail time for stealing skis. Police will offer engraving of skis and snowboards with the the owner’s vehicle registration number.

“Victoria police are showing a decline in the crime rate at snow resorts, but the theft of skis and snowboards still exist and we’ll be happy if we can reduce it to zero. Snowboards and skis cost up to $1,000 plus these days … it is an expensive investment,” a police spokesman told local media.

http://skirebel.com/magazine/?p=870
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I wonder how widespread skis theft is in the Alps. So far I have been pretty care free with them, leaving them outside same as everybody when going into a mountain restaurant for a drink or a snack.

May be it is just an illusion I am under the impression that fellow skiers seldom steal equipment from others in European resorts, or am I am just being optimistic?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
3 days for stealing $1,000 doesn't seem like zero tolerance. If they have stolen one pair they have probably stolen dozens - it is a big-scale crime.

I remember a van went off the road a few years ago on the way down from (I think) Meribel, and was found to be stuffed with stolen skis.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
So, which lucky coppers get that job!? Madeye-Smiley

I've never had any problems wherever I've been. Once thought I'd had my skis nicked in one resort, only to realise that they were still at the first bar we'd visited that afternoon/evening/night. There had been a few inbetween...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I had a pair of hire skis nicked from the ski room at a hotel in Kitzbuhel. I thought at first that someone had taken the wrong ones, but after everyone had left for the day, there weren't any left.
You'd think they'd be safe in the ski room!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Some scumbag stole my pole in La Rosiere!!!!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
johnboy, Why did you only have 1 pole?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Someone stole my dad's skis outside a resturant in Zermatt. After he did a bit of phoning round to report them, turned out that someone staying over the italian border had taken them mistaking them for his own. He was a ski tech and as soon as he looked at the bases he realised they weren't his, because my dad attracts rocks. So he gave them a complete service and drove them back to my dad. Dad also got a free snowmobile ride back down the mountain. Very Happy

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 17-06-07 18:46; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
What do you expect from a nation of thieves..?

Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

If they have stolen one pair they have probably stolen dozens

and the award for biggest assumption of today goes to............. rolling eyes
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Well, OK. But from what I have heard most ski theft is by gangs who steal lots of them.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowball wrote:
Well, OK. But from what I have heard most ski theft is by gangs who steal lots of them.

have you any facts to back this up, or is big trev from the pubs word enough
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
saikee wrote:
I wonder how widespread skis theft is in the Alps.

Well, I have got the numbers from Austria. Ischgl is the number one resort according to the police report. 1400 (!) pairs of skis were stolen in 2006, and this number is smaller than in the previous year. About 1000 pairs disappeared in Saalbach in 2005. Since the police are taking this issue more seriously, the number of the reported thefts are decresing every year.
Half of the 7600 skis and boards stolen last year in Austria were reported in Tirol.

Interesting, only 20 cases in a year were reported in the German Alps, in Garmisch-Partenkirchen. Police say less skis stolen from places that are considered "family resorts".

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sun 17-06-07 22:16; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I can feel a 'La Ros' joke coming on!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
There were roughly 6 million ski tourists in Austria last year.

That indicates there is less than 1% chance of seeing your plank(s) stolen (7.6k / 6M).
snow report
Whitegold wrote:
There were roughly 6 million ski tourists in Austria last year.

That indicates there is less than 1% chance of seeing your plank(s) stolen (7.6k / 6M).

I think 1% (or so) is worth being concerned about. Admin, of course, had his Pocket Rockets nicked.
snow conditions
use a ski/board lock, job done... nuff said
ski holidays
7.6k/6M is actually more like 0.1% (1 per thousand). For context airlines typically loose about 10 bags per thousand. So the risks would apparently be much larger of your skis getting lost on the way to the alps.
ski holidays
graeme wrote:
use a ski/board lock, job done... nuff said

I bought one for a few quid. Worth it for peace of mind that if they are nicked the insurance company will have to pay up!!
snow conditions
Mismatch them outside restaurants, and put them far apart......
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy