Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Grave 2008 (with mini-TR and photo link at end)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So where are we booking accomodation - Edelweiss? Is Robin forewarned that we'll be trickling in a few bookings?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
...... I have decided to favour the Edelweiss with my presence ... Toofy Grin

... and already booked in ... Very Happy snowHead ...... a fleeting pleasure amidst all this rain

..... it was thoughts of 'the resident & strolling artists' and other delicacies wot swayed me ... Toofy Grin
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Any movement on this....?
I can book the train anytime but I will be in the village by wed night,

We have a probable 7, which is guidable, if need be...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
my Eagles week is filling up and I'm still planning on turning up on the Wednesday eve and skiing with Snowheads for a couple of days
ski holidays
 brian
brian
I can turn up either Wednesday or Thursday, I thought the consensus was Thursday but Wednesday is fine by me.

Planning to ski 3 and a half days and get a 7pm flight back from Lyon, Sun or Mon.

I quite fancied giving JT's alternative hotel a try but Edelweiss is ok, where are your Eagles crew staying Arno ?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
brian, i'm looking at a gite near Bourg d'Oisans but that will be from Friday evening so I'll be looking for somewhere else for the previous night or two. Was JT looking at the Castillan? Happy to go with that - reduced staggering time between lifts/bar/hotel

On timings, I don't mind too much. Turning up on Thurs evening might be a good idea for me on the basis that I will be having a pretty active week and don't want to tire myself out!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ski thurs and friday will give us 2 days with Arno, so that is good for me.

I will either get the train into Chambery or Grenoble.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I didn't realise JT, had another hotel in mind. Don't feel pressurised on the Edelweiss on my account - I have a provisional booking, (made largely for an "anti rain" feel-good factor, to counter this awful weather) Toofy Grin ) but quite happy to move.

JT, What are the options .. ? - Castillian .... Skierslodge ....
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
BC,

Either... I don't really mind.

I like a nice warm breakie and nice warm room for drying stuff.

when are you planning to get there..??

BTW, let me fix you a crossing...
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Can't seem to open the Skierslodge site today for some reason or other - it may be being updated.

These seem to be the other places on offer, eager no doubt for the privilege of being our hosts ..... Toofy Grin

Hotels etc.

... and probably the most central of course, Hotel Castillian

I intend driving up to La Grave early on Wednesday 5th March & departing after close of play Very Happy on Tuesday 11th.

Depending on arrival times I can probably pick you up somewhere.

(Thanks re crossing - though most probably taking Landrover out in December - Rosslare/Cherbourg)
snow conditions
 brian
brian
BernardC,

Skiers' Lodge has virtually moved http://www.theskierslodge.com/ and is (in reality) up for sale !

Anyway, they only do Saturday to Saturday bookings.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'd fired in a provisional email a couple of weeks back to Marlon at the Edelweiss for a Thur-Mon room for me and my bro with the idea of flying back on the Lyon 7am tues flight. Guess we could do wed night back mon morning as haven't booked flight yet
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
..... take a straw poll on accommodation then .....

preferences gentlepersons ....

Location, location, location, - I would prefer the Edelweiss, or the Castillian.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Castillan for me as 1st choice.....
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have e-mailed the Hotel Castillian with the approximate dates, to enquire on availability. I am pretty sure that they accommodate on any days, rather than just Saturday-Saturday, but just to be certain as we know the Edelweiss does.

Will broadcast reply at the appropriate time Very Happy
snow report
 brian
brian
Yeah, I'd give the Castillan a go, reduced post-ski staggering Very Happy Edelweiss ok too.

Anybody want to share room with thrifty Scotsperson whose wife reckons this trip could be better spent on any one of a myriad of home improvements ? Confused
snow conditions
.... very fast reply .... although the credit for that is not mine ... Laughing

"Hello,

We can suggest you from march 5th untill march 11th, 2008:

* a single room with a large bed shower/ bath WC
-price with breakfast : 52 Euro per day and per person
-price in halfboard : 68 Euro per day and per person
* rooms with 2 beds shower/ bath WC
-price with breakfast :38 Euro per day and per person
-price in halfboard : 54 Euro per day and per person
* rooms with 3 beds shower/ bath WC
-price with breakfast :32 Euro per day and per person
-price in halfboard : 48 Euro per day and per person
*local tax : 0.50 Euro per day and per person
Looking forward to hearing you, we stay at your disposal for your reservation
Best regards
Gaelle CASTILLAN"

From memory, prices are about the same & I imagine the hotels will be similar. Has anyone stayed at the Hotel Castillian? I had the honour of being served a large, wheelbarrow size sandwich there, in company of Easiski, and the two Vikings, but have no knowledge of the Hotel.

I am happy to go with either Hotel Castillian, or Hotel Edelweiss, but would like to have a confirmed booking sooner rather than later - to avoid any potential for disappointment wink and to ensure a room for every night Toofy Grin La Grave can get booked up - especially as we are not Sat/Sat.
snow conditions
BernardC,

That sounds ok to me and I'll share all your dates if that is ok with you...

Willing to land Wed, and depart Tues although I expect to extend the holiday by a few more days...

But, all in all, I am pretty flexible, I can do whatever suits ..
snow report
I'm happy with the Castillan too if that's the consensus - can we also get agreement on the core 4 days we are skiing Fri-Mon or Thurs-Sun so we can start sorting flights?

Twin room for me and my bro (Though will offer up the triple if you really want to be exposed to his snoring (not mine honest wink ))
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
... the Democrats (Ayes) have it ..... Toofy Grin

Le Hotel Castillan it is then ......

I have just made a reservation for March 5th - 11th.

Everyone will need to make their own reservations, but do mention to Gaelle Castillan that you are snowHeads snowHead , so that we receive preferential treatment, in the manner to which we are accustomed to at all times and our due recognition as outstanding citizens .... Toofy Grin

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 2-09-07 23:28; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
BernardC,

Sounds perfect .. have you booked a single or double?
snow report
 brian
brian
fatbob, I think I'm leaning towards going out on the Wednesday and skiing Thu-Sun. I'm guessing Sun late afternoon traffic will be better for my airport return than Monday.

Speaking of cars, if you reckon you can fit a miniature one and you don't need LDW, then sixti are doing cars from Lyon very cheap, eg. €65 for 4 days. Bookable 180 days in advance, so Friday for the 5th March.

BernardC, good stuff, see you there Very Happy
latest report
I am planning to arrive on the wed....... and I do not have to be back in the UK until the 15th...latest.
ski holidays
Booking Guides .... ?

I would feel more comfortable reserving our Number. 1 'Man' ,

..... again on the "Book early to avoid disappointment' mantra

I know they are very 'easy-going' , but some persons of disputable parentage may get there before us. Toofy Grin

I will volunteer to do this deed if wished ....
snow report
 brian
brian
BernardC, sounds good to me. Did you have anybody in mind ? I'm quite happy to stick with some combination of Francois and/or Manu that we used last year. They have a website parapentiste, doesn't actually mention skiing :

http://www.confidentciel.fr

manu@confidentciel.fr
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Oh and I've booked me flights Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Wed 5/3/08 EDI -> FRA -> LYS arr 22.30
Sun 9/3/08 LYS -> FRA -> EDI dep 19.15

I'll book a wee car for myself so if anyone wants a lift Lyon to La Grave on the Wednesday night, let me know.
ski holidays
brian, ... yes .. reference to 'Number.1 Man' was to Manu ..... Laughing

who has got a preference for who . ..... ?

You will be a pretty late arrival in La Grave!
ski holidays
 brian
brian
BernardC, sleep is for jessies !

Anyway, I'm not planing to visit Chambéry on the way wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ha ha.
Manu for me... Hopefully we can have a fun day when we aren't all shot... or was that just me..?
snow conditions
brian,

If you want a roomie for the duration of your stay, let me know.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Hmmm, the room sharing is a little complex with everyone on different days. Confused

Anyway, I booked a room today avec trois lits at the Castillan for me, fatbob'n'Phil for 4 nights, Wed to Sun.

Maybe if everyone sticks down their hotel nights here and says share or no share we can sort something sensible out ?
latest report
Happy with Manu and Francois in whatever order. I'd also be quite interested in getting a day in over at Serre Che having seen some of the photos last year but maybe one best held in reserve for the inevitable storm closure day at LG when brian organises a multiday dumpfest wink Don't know if there is enough local knowledge to manage Serre Che without a guide suitably equipped.
snow report
We could certainly get to the photos without much walking ..there might be one 10-15min bootpack up a ridge.
Almost all of the stuff you see from the pics is inbound as it were, from the lifts, so I would be interested to see what else the guides come up with.
latest report
fatbob,
Quote:

but maybe one best held in reserve for the inevitable storm closure day at LG

..... oh ye of little faith .... !

...positive waves .... Toofy Grin

Serre Chevalier is a real gem though and a must Very Happy
latest report
BernardC,

I was being positive, storm closures = huge dumps.
snow report
fatbob, ... huge dumps are only allowed between the hours of 18:00 and 03:00 ... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Huge dumps (of snow rolling eyes ) are to be warmly welcomed at any time of the day or night. So there !

Booked my car this morning for the princely sum of €65.58 Very Happy
snow report
I don't mind a share but accept I will have a single room for a few days.

I will be looking to book the room by this weekend from the 5th for 6 nights, does that tally with you BC ?

If we want to book the guide then we should do so direct as per last year and pay cash. Anyone still have their numbers?
latest report
JT, .... I like to be specific regarding bookings and always spell it out ....

"Please reserve a Single Room with Bath/Shower for me, half-board, all nights, for arrival on Wednesday, March 5th and departing on Tuesday morning, March 11th."

..... to save any later disappointment ..... Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Brian, Cracking rate on the car - not a Mattel I hope Very Happy
ski holidays
Chaps
With great regret, I think I am going to have to bail on my participation in this. Crying or Very sad
Starting a new job later this year so adding the extra couple of days onto my Eagles week is likely to be tricky.
Will still be in the area from late on Friday so I will try to pop over at some point over the weekend. Might even see you on the mountain.
Hope this doesn't cause huge problems - sounds like it might actually make getting a guide a bit easier.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy