Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmet Cams

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone had a chance to check one of these out?

http://www.oregonscientific.co.uk/product.asp?c=15&s=60&p=546
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Am I right in thinking that's one unit rather than the usual camera that requires a recorder? Sold at ToysRUs isn't that reassuring NehNeh

I've just started shopping for a camera - this is pretty interesting. Is there a "industry standard" camera that most people use to compare it to?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
davidof, yes. Got one. It's a good laugh. I've used it on my helmet, my bike, and my boot. The only video I've uploaded anywhere is on youtube. Will go find a link for you. I have a few files here, but I need to compress them a bit before posting - at high quality it uses a LOT of memory.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Foxy - how much footage do you get on a 2gig SD card when using it at a watchable quality?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
toiletduckuk, with sound, about an hour at 30fps.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
davidof, yes. Got one. It's a good laugh. I've used it on my helmet, my bike, and my boot. The only video I've uploaded anywhere is on youtube. Will go find a link for you. I have a few files here, but I need to compress them a bit before posting - at high quality it uses a LOT of memory.

It would be great if you stick them on Utube or even better... Google video wink

This was the only WTFH video i found

http://youtube.com/v/kQniY4c6MR4

i didn't know you snowboarded

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 13-06-07 10:43; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nice - one for the "When next season is paid for.." list then Smile
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Here's one on youtube...
http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=25707
(greatly reduced quality)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
bit of feedback off singletrackworld users

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/read.php?f=2&i=3070677&t=3070677#reply_3070677
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Direct link to the video on yt...

http://youtube.com/v/F4NZhluASf8

I think I left it back in the UK (along with my video editing software), but I could bring it to MK for the ski test and do a few short clips there.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wear The Fox Hat, Is that a view finder on the back so it can be used like conventional vid camera?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
spyderjon, no. The unit was designed to be as small as possible, so you line it up using a couple of horizontal/vertical lines marked on the body, and use trial and error - but it doesn't take long to get it pretty close.

Unscrew the back and you have the battery compartment (2xAA), memory card slot, USB and AV connectors. On top you have an LCD display which tells you the quality level, how much recording time you have left or how long you have been recording. Behind the LCD are the 3 buttons... On/Off, Start/Stop and Menu.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Now we can see it close up, is this where we pick apart your ski technique Wear The Fox Hat? Wink

davidof, I was trying to get one of those to bring to the EoSB but the batch that had just arrived in the UK had a fault with their battery lids which wouldn't close properly.

Coincidentally, a couple of days ago, I got confirmation of a snowHeads discount from DogCam who are the UK importers of that camera.
If anyone needs the discount code, PM Admin.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wear The Fox Hat, Cheers matey. I think I'll call in to Halfords on the way home & have a look at one.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
admin, there's a new video of me, but you're not getting it!

spyderjon, if you could make it down to MK, you could have a play with it too!
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat, Is your cam the same as the Oregon one Davidof has linked to ?
ski holidays
IncogSkiSno, not quite - the one in the link doesn't have dog teeth marks on it.
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
the one in the link doesn't have dog teeth marks on it.
Probably the result of the Fox trying to get his hat back?
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat, Laughing NehNeh

Hmm, it's just that my SO would really like one, and the kids are struggling as to what to get him for Father's Day and I thought this would be ideal.
snow conditions
IncogSkiSno, have a look at www.actioncameras.co.uk I've got the actioncam 520 which is really good. Only drawback is that it needs to be attached to a videocamera or stand alone hard disc. I got some really good footage from last season, I'll try and upload some when I get the chance. The quality is pretty much broadcast standard
ski holidays
BGA wrote:

Only drawback is that it needs to be attached to a videocamera or stand alone hard disc.

Be aware though that the video camera needs an Analogue in, to work with a Helmet cam.

Most camcorders in the shops these days do not have analogue in sockets because it technically re-classifies them as Video recorders which increases the import duty on them.
Also avoid cameras with a resolution of 500 lines or over with Cannon camcorders.
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
...spyderjon, if you could make it down to MK, you could have a play with it too!

Yep, I'll be at the MK test.
snow conditions
There's a US Company selling the Tony Hawk SD Card Helmet Cam on eBay for really silly money, works out about £35 inc P&P. I think (but am not sure) that it's similar spec to the Oregon. I've bought too many toys lately otherwise I'd get one. Probably will before next Winter though.
snow report
AFAIK the spec of the Tony Hawks one is below that of the Oregon Scientific.
latest report
admin, I think when I looked at the specs re picture output from my (inexpert) view they looked similar. There's no doubt that the Oregon is a better qualty unit though and the Tony Hawk is branded even more as a toy rather than a serious piece of kit. At that price though if you just want a toy to have a bit of fun with it's worth considering.
latest report
The Oregon ATC2000 was shown on (UK) Channel Five, The Gadget Show. See http://gadgetshow.five.tv/jsp/5gsmain.jsp?lnk=401&featureid=356&pageid=-1&show=s6e10&section=Features
ski holidays
best deal i have found on this is £99.95 INCLUDING 4 batteries and 2GB memory card !!

http://www.shinyshack.com/product.php?prid=211171&pn=Action-Camera-ATC2000-%20-2GB-SD-Card&gaw=8pp4f&gclid=COWnzJKShI0CFSdPEgodGSJRpg
latest report
I had a look at Foxy's ACT2000 at the recent MK ski test & it's an impressive piece of kit, especially for the money. I can see me getting one soon.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mine's on order ! Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Just thought I'd post some helmetcam footage that I've just been attempting to edit. It's of me and a friend skiing the right side of Mont Fort. Quality of the original footage is really high, but it seems to have deteriorated as well as the aspect going a bit weird. Is this normal? (bit new to this editing and uploading business), is there a way of ensuring that the quality of the original is maintained?
http://media.putfile.com/Mont-Fort
snow conditions
BGA, I like the big 'power stop' half way down. I was doing that every ten feet on there!
snow report
Thanks spyderjon, it's a move I've been developing for some time now. It's known in skiing circles as 'fat boy had too much ale last night and needs a breather'. Just need to translate it to French to make it sound batter
snow report
BGA, bierquage?
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat, just the thing. Laughing I expect to see it in the BASI manual for next season
ski holidays
BGA, yes, but what grade of instructor will be allowed to teach it? Is it a level 1 (grade 3) or a level 3 (grade 2 with a chocolate flake) or what? Laughing

We need to know!
latest report
And, more critically, will they be allowed to teach it in France as a stagiere with full ISIAIVSIAISTD equivalence? It's all a bit of a minefield really
snow report
BGA, they'll do it better than in America, of course, I suspect that's cause the beer is weaker in the US.

ISIAIVSIAISTD? Never heard of it, but if it's an STD, then it's best to use a condom, or abstem...
snow conditions
Good news of course is that ski instructors are often experts in the field of STDs
snow report
ATC2000 arrived on Wednesday (took 2 days) and came with some free sweets into the bargain.
gave it a try on Friday at castleford and over weekend.
Am, very satisfied with results, not DVD quality, but far from top end price for a camera in any case.

value for money & good fun. snowHead
ski holidays
Odin, bought it from Firebox?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy