Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Did Borat write this headline?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
No, not that headline. This headline:

Thai delegation interested in ski resorts of Kazakhstan

I ask that question because the article says nothing about ski resorts of Kazakhstan. Almaty is a ski resort, but this is not clear in the text.

What is an 'akim'. Is this akin to something similar to an akim?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Correction: on second reading it does say something about ski resorts of Kazakhstan (but not a huge amount). Apologies to Borat and Kazakhstan.

Anyone skied in Kazakhstan, apart from Borat?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David Goldsmith wrote:
Correction: on second reading it does say something about ski resorts of Kazakhstan (but not a huge amount). Apologies to Borat and Kazakhstan.

Learn how to use a colon correctly. Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If I'd guessed at a response to the rubbish above it would not have been that. Thank you!

Google says an akim is akin to a mayor. Should have looked that up in the first place. Thank you, Google.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
bh1,
Quote:

Learn how to use a colon correctly

In the context of what DG is sometimes accused of speaking that could have more than one meaning. Shocked
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Why start such a crap thread?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
bh1 wrote:
.......Learn how to use a colon correctly. Very Happy

Are you suggesting that DG should use any colon, or just his?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
bh1 wrote:
Learn how to use a colon correctly. Very Happy

I hope you're not suggesting that DG is anally retentive. wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thank you, laundryman. Always the gentleman and scholar.

The main concern is that this thread should be seen as pure silk, not "crap" as bh1 so delicately put it.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
David Goldsmith wrote:

This website has a couple of comments from "westerners" that show Chimbulak (Kazakhstan's only listed resort) in quite a favourable light:
http://www.goski.com/resorts/kzchim/resort_welcome.html?cntry_or_state=find&rorc=kazakhstan&from=state&bc=RIR
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
David Goldsmith wrote:

Well, I do not think that he ever skied in Kazakhstan. The Kazakh parts of the movie were shot in Romania.
Later, the residents of a Romanian village sued the filmmakers for $30 million claiming they were misled into thinking they were participating in a documentary about Romanian poverty.

But, there is a slight chance that he may have skied in Romania ...
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
An acquaintance of mine who works in a professional capacity for a UK tour operator speaks very favouraby of Chimbulak and Kazakhstan.

Not ready for mass tourism in his opinion, and may explain why they didn't make the shortlist of 3 for the 2014 Winter Olympics.

He sent me this,

'My contact in Kasakstan is Kasbek Valiyev and his brother Dauren Valiyev. They are both directors of a company called Kan Tengri Mountain Service
Tel: +7 3272-91880, -916006
Fax: +7 3272-912010
Email: kazbek@kantengri.kz

As I mentioned Kasbek has one of the most impressive climbing records around today especially if you consider all of his serious climbing was done in the Soviet era when they had no money and even less equipment. He was also an officer in the Soviet special forces during their occupation of Afghanistan so he has a few stories to tell. He is an absolutely awesome guide despite being in his 50's. He arranges heli-trips in the Kan Tengri area approx 7000m in the
summer operating from a base camp at about 4,000m'
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kerekip and Mike Pow, many thanks for those postings, which have got me off the 'Why start such a crap thread?' hook.

Kasbek certainly sounds quite a character. I typed his name into Google but got nothing, strangely, but your link is really interesting. It's got some fun English too:

"The altitude overfall is about 2000 meters. Even profesional skiers will never fill indifferent skiing on a fast snow and rare visited mountains."

Overfall is a great word. This is what it means:
Quote:
O´ver`fall`
n. 1. A cataract; a waterfall.
2. (Naut.) A turbulent surface of water, caused by strong currents setting over submerged ridges; also, a dangerous submerged ridge or shoal.

[The Free Dictionary]
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Goldsmith wrote:
Kasbek certainly sounds quite a character. I typed his name into Google but got nothing ...

An alternate spelling is Kazbek. Google prefers this spelling.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kazbek

Quote:
This photograph of Mt. Kazbek was taken from the International Space Station on August 13, 2002. The astronauts and cosmonauts took the photograph at the request of the Russian URAGAN project, which is studying changes in the world’s glaciers in response to global climate change.

http://eob.gsfc.nasa.gov/Newsroom/NewImages/Images/iss005e09691.jpg
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy