Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski season insurance

Poster: A snowHead
I'm going to Tignes for next season and was wondering where the best place to get insurance from is. Puzzled
Advice would be much appreciated
cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Coisty, welcome to snowHeads. I don't have any advice, but I'm sure someone will be along shortly.

Try PMing george1 who is also doing doing Tignes next season.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Coisty, I got mine from these guys:

http://www.fogginsure.co.uk/

They do 'workers' seasonal cover. It seemed good value, but I never had to claim.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I used skiinsurance.co.uk and had one claim last season (the acid test although it was a small one, under £350) they were fine, paid up with little problem, less the usual excess. This year I've taken Dogtag, I guess I've fallen for the marketing but there is something reassuring about "wearing" your insurance. Hope I don't have to claim but hope even more they'll be good if I do, the cover (there are three levels available) seems to cover everything I need.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the advice, i did have a look at Dog tag but seemed quite expensive, the dog tag idea is good thou.
To holidayloverxx i'm going with george1 and 3 other friends, so i might try and get a group discount.
many thanks
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Coisty wrote:
i'm going with george1 and 3 other friends,
Laughing Laughing Tell him that I shall be out there on 21st Jan and shall be looking out for him wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
And I'll be out there on 5th April - but he already knows that!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
And I'm the bloke that may be joining you. Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
david@mediacopy wrote:

They do 'workers' seasonal cover. It seemed good value, but I never had to claim.

Same for me! They 'seem' to have a clear off piste policy, unlike many other's which are a bit vague.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
boredsurfin wrote:
david@mediacopy wrote:

Same for me! They 'seem' to have a clear off piste policy, unlike many other's which are a bit vague.

I questioned them quite closely on a quite a few points (inc. off piste) and they seemed OK.

The only down side was having to waste my Doctors time to OK the trip because I'd had a sore Neck and Shoulder in the late Summer. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Insure and go will cover off-piste skiing and other sporting activities with their annula insurance

http://www.insureandgo.com/
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I normally use STA as they don't have any time limits on how long you can be away for which can sometime be a problem with other insurers. It is also possible to get additional cover if you need to insure laptops or anything electrical like that which has proved useful in the past.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
david@mediacopy wrote:

Wasn't it they that refused to pay out for the two VIP/Snowline reps/hosts that were killed in the avalanche a couple of years ago? At least, VIP/Snowline recommend Fogg for insurance so it seems reasonable to assume that their staff user(d) the same company.... My apologies if I'm barking up totally the wrong tree
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Coisty, didn't even know you had joined us geeks on here.

Spikyhedgehog, pending your trip to leeds to ensure you aren't a murderer...

Frosty the Snowman, It may be that we are looking out for you, aslong as you are keeping those same ski pants and jacket, I aint gonna miss you!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Stabbystabstab! Very Happy
snow conditions
Another vote for http://www.insureandgo.com - when we looked last season they provided by far the best value cover.

You might also consider getting a Carte Neige.
snow conditions
Coisty, i went with Fogg as well, whatever you get read the fine print regarding equipment theft and off piste skiing, that is what seperates most policies

Carte neige never paid out on a claim i had with them and only seem to cover removal frm the hill
snow report
skimottaret, Carte Neige is a mutuelle - it covers mountain rescue and anything which your main insurance doesn't. If you want them to pay anything other than basic rescue you have to notify them within a week of your accident.

http://www.natives.co.uk/news/2004/10/16cart.htm
latest report
Quote:
which your main insurance doesn't

Lizzard, i guess that is my point, why have insurance that only covers mountain rescue, AFAIK all the major ski insurance packages cover mountain rescue as a matter of course.

I actually did inform the carte neige people during the holiday and got the french forms to fill out sent to me at home in the uk and returned then (in french) and never heard anything back. sent two letters but gave up as it was only a few hundred Euros.
ski holidays
skimottaret, I got told by my boss that I (well, me, coisty, and the others) should go for the carte neige, on its own.

From what I read, I gathered its a really bad idea to do that, but he insisted its all you need...

Is he right, or shall I kick him in the shin?

Nick L, I'm no longer going to be working with alpine elements, but I may well be either selling you beer, washing your dinner plates, or waxing your skis Smile
see you there!
snow report
skimottaret wrote:
AFAIK all the major ski insurance packages cover mountain rescue as a matter of course.

Whilst that is true,the real problem is that you will have to pay the rescue services up front,and then try to claim it back from your insurers.Waving some UK policy in front of them will be greeted with a firm NON Puzzled
In the case of a heli rescue,you will be faced with a bill of several hundred euro's Shocked
Essentially,carte/carre neige covers you for rescue off the hill and into the local health care system;from that point your UK insurance will take over.You will then be dealing with people used to seeing UK policies who will be able to provide the necessary paperwork for a valid claim.

Its been said many times that this double insurance thing is unfair(at least to us Brits wink )Maybe.......but that's how it is.
ski holidays
george_1, Carte Neige is adequate if you are employed on a French contract, have a Carte Vitale and a French social security number, and are paying contributions to the French system. Otherwise, you should take out a full insurance policy. Have a look at the link I posted. And remember that even if you are employed as above, you won't be covered for repatriation back to the UK should you need it. If your boss is proposing to employ you on the ususal UK posted worker contract, then yes, he needs a good kicking.

skimottaret, the point of it is to add mountain rescue to the French skier's existing cover. It's not aimed at a foreign holidaymaker.
ski holidays
Lizzard, Great advice as usual from the man on the spot, BUT that Natives link is very old now (2004) certainly the NHS documents (E101/E111) referred to have been replaced see here, link here
Hopefully none of the other info is out of date.
Does make one wonder what else on Natives.co.uk hasn't been kept up to date Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Lizzard, all fair points i stand corrected!! For the holiday skier i wouldnt recommend the CN but for a seasonaire it think you are very right Embarassed Embarassed

does the CN cover for rescue off Piste?
latest report
snowskisnow, If you have Carte Neige I believe that you still have to pay the local docs up front and reclaim later for any treatment. True you get off the mountain without having to pay but, (big but because i havent had the experience) i would assume that with all the paperwork you get from the resuce folks that a claim on any type of insurance should not be a problem. I used to always double insure but kinda dont see the point now with EHIC cards.
latest report
Lizzard wrote:
you won't be covered for repatriation back to the UK should you need it.

AFAIR Carte Neige does cover for repatriation if required.
When they're selling it to u, the French always make a big fuss about the fact that, "It covers u for any mountain in the world all year, even Chille in the Summer". I guess the repatriation thing is designed to get the French home to France but nevertheless, if your home is in the UK, that's where it will get u to.
snow report
admin, not if you're in resort for more than a certain length of time (ie for a season). I've had staff caught by this one before.

boredsurfin, the only change to the information in that link is that the E111 is now called an EHIC. Hardly worth rewriting the whole thing just for that.
snow conditions
Not sure if this is useful but I just did a post on this on my blog:

http://seasonjunkie.com/seasonaire-insuranc/

Doesn't cover everything but I guess it a start. Insurance is indeed a complete headache!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy