Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI Level 1 Ski Instructor Course

Poster: A snowHead
Hemel Ski Centre in association with BASI have decided to run an initial set of 2 BASI Level 1 Instructor courses.
The first will be Wed 26th September through to Sun 30th September.
The second will be Sat 10th November through to Wed 14th November.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Spyderman, If I do this course can I teach skiing in France?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
boredsurfin, NehNeh NehNeh NehNeh
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Austria? Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
boredsurfin, Holland wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Spyderman, It'll have to be perfect. Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
boredsurfin wrote:
Spyderman, If I do this course can I teach skiing in France?

Yes, but only in La Ros...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar,
Quote:

That's flat like Holland, isn't it? wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Spyderman wrote:
rob@rar,
Quote:

That's flat like Holland, isn't it? wink

Laughing
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Price for the BASI Level 1 5 day course is £ 365
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Spyderman, Sounds very reasonable to me - I regularly have families who spend over €700 per week on lessons.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dumb question - but what can you do with a BASI Level 1 qualification?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cee, Teach on UK artificial slopes, like ASSI and have entitlement to then go for BASI Level 2 Ski Instructor course.(old BASI 3)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Anybody know is it possible to do this in Ireland?

Also is there a...ciricullum.. that outlines what you need to be tested in/passed at?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Does BASI Level 1 replace the BASI Foundation?

Is there an alternative route into BASI Level 2 now?

(as you can see I'm still confused Neh Neh)
snow conditions
killian, there's also http://www.iasisnowsports.com/
ski holidays
There is an article in the latest BASI News that explains it all. The website is currently being updated but expect it to be on there some time soon.
snow report
^ phew, that's a relief!

At least now we'll hear something (hopefully informative) from one of the horses mouths!

I asked a BASI II instructor at a training session last week what was going on and he hadn't got a clue either!
snow conditions
^ Actually thinking about this beanie1 the article you refer to isn't by any chance the same article as the one scanned here and posted in the BASI Level 1 Ski Instructor thread on May 29th is it?

If so I take back my remarks above about it being hopefully informative because that one generated more confusion than anything else and it appears was subsequently refuted by Snowsport England on their site here.

I wonder if this level of confusion is indicative of the way these bodies always go about things! Puzzled
latest report
So, it looks like nobody knows what the other folks are doing, and there is a danger, if doing a course this year, that either BASI won't recognise an ASSI course for exemption from Trainee Instructor/Level 1, or alternatively, the BASI Level 1 won't actually be recognised as a qualification that allows you to instruct at dry/indoor slopes because SSE/SSS are throwing their dummy out of the pram in response! Wonderful! Just as I'd sorted it out in my head that I might actually be good enough to do it in the first place.

Perhaps I'd better think about doing BASI Level 1 next year instead, by which time they may have sorted it out a bit, unless I can get onto a course in the mountains in the winter.
snow report
S'far as I know SSS and BASI have agreed but not SSE yet. Can't see'em being able to hold out and go it alone though.
ski holidays
docsquid, At Hemel we have gone with BASI, although we still will have and welcome ASSI's, we will no longer offer SSE & SSS courses.
latest report
docsquid,
Quote:

the BASI Level 1 won't actually be recognised as a qualification that allows you to instruct at dry/indoor slopes

curious as to what makes you think that a level 1 wouldn't be recognised as a professional qualification?
snow report
skimottaret, it seems SSE at least think an agreement hasn't been reached with BASI. Consequently, some slopes, particularly those that run SSE courses, may stick with SSE qualifications as a requirement to teach. Tamworth used to run SSE Club Coach courses, but I talked to them and they are now hoping to run BASI Level 1 instead, so hopefully that will be the way forward. I personally can't see the point in doing a qualification that doesn't lead to higher qualifications, so BASI Level 1 is clearly the way to go. I wish it wasn't all so complicated - it was much simpler becoming an aerobics instructor!
ski holidays
Quote:

may stick with SSE qualifications as a requirement to teach

i think that is a stretch, seems to me that the dry slopes all have a mixture of CI's and ASSI's as well as BASI and Canadian license holders. I really doubt a dry slope would not employ a BASI trained instructor evern if they run SSE courses. SPyderman has reported Hemel for instance has dumped its SSE courses in favour of the BASI level 1
ski holidays
docsquid, totally agree with you about the complexity of the current situation - BASI does ultimately seem like the way forward but for those of us currently with no choice but the ASSI there's not much that can be done. Hopefully SSS and SSE will fall into line and accept the BASI course as the one to go with which will, I'd guess, prompt all snowsports centres to offer them. In the meantime though I'll continue with the ASSI because I'm not sitting around waiting for the situation to be sorted out. Good to hear that Hemel and Tamworth are moving forward with the new qualification.
snow conditions
roga, MK too.
latest report
I hear that Hemel is to become a very pro BASI slope and offer ( in the future) only the BASI courses. I understand that they (hemel) are seeking to become a partner with BASI in future uk ski instructor courses! Well its about time that BASI took a hold of the qualification scheme as its been very poorly ran by SSE. SS Scotland to be fair have done a great job with the introduction of the ASSI ( and we know that was down to some forward thinking trainers).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
elbrus, welcome to snowHeads snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
elbrus, welcome to snowHeads. snowHead

Have you skied Mt. Elbrus?
ski holidays
killian wrote:
Also is there a...ciricullum.. that outlines what you need to be tested in/passed at?

BASI do a great thick book with the whole curriculum, it costs around 25 quid and is quite a decent piece of work. You need to have a sound technical knowledge of skiing to pass BASI 2, it is not a walk in the park. I wouldn't be able to pass without a lot of investment of time prior to the course... and I wouldn't be capable of passing the higher levels.
latest report
davidof, do you mean grade 2 or level 2 wink Confused
latest report
Update on Level 1. SSS are in full agreement with BASI, their existing course trainers will be brought on board by BASI to deliver L1 courses in UK along with BASI Trainers.
Once L1 pass standard is achieved, 35 hours of shadowing is required before being allowed to teach. This is a reduction from 70 hours for BASI and an increase from 20 hours for SSS.
Access to L2 is still dependent of Trainer's recommendation.
L1 will replace Trainee Instructor fully, Trainee Course is no longer available.
A conversion course from ASSI to BASI L1 is hopefully being sorted.

elbrus, Welcome to snowHeads snowHead

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 20-06-07 8:56; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Spyderman, Does that mean with my BCU instructor's certificate I can move straight to ISTD at the new Hemel slope when it open's Toofy Grin wink
snow report
boredsurfin, Depends on how much it rains wink Laughing
snow conditions
boredsurfin wrote:
Spyderman, Does that mean with my BCU instructor's certificate I can move straight to ISTD at the new Hemel slope when it open's Toofy Grin wink

I have just heard................BASI are running a training day at Hemel next week. The training day is to train the existing ASSI tutors in the NEW BASI level 1 course.

Not been up Elbrus...........yet!
snow conditions
elbrus, It's on Monday.
snow report
skimottaret wrote:

erm I mean the old Grade 3 or is that level 3?

I did the foundation in 1999, told I could go on and do Grade 3 but had a number of technical faults with my skiing with respect to teaching the BASI curriculum. Realistically, although Grade 3 was achievable I wouldn't have been able to progress further.
snow report
davidof wrote:
skimottaret wrote:

erm I mean the old Grade 3 or is that level 3?

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing You've no idea how hard I'm laughing right now!

The "old" Grade3 is now the "new" Level2.

The next step up, is logically the Grade 2. Laughing
snow report
what is the BASI link at Hemel. I thought they were a stong hold for the SS England award? They have quite a few SSE coaches (I think).

Am I right:
BASI level 1 ski instructor
BASI level II ski instructor
BASI ski teacher ISIA
BASI International diploma

Can see the problem myself? How does the coaches award (SSE) stand against BASI awards?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy