Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to ADH / Correction now to Andorra

Poster: A snowHead
has anyone drove to the ADH, i am trying to pursuede my better half to let us drive, so i need to know all the pros and cons so i can show her its a good idea, any thought on costs not including ferry crossing 3 x Adults 1 x child in VW Golf.

cheers
jase snowHead

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 11-06-07 10:06; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jase2472, There is much advice on snowHeads re Driving to the Alps. Have a play with the Forum Search facility at the top of the page. Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jase2472, If you enter the route on viamichelin it tells you the route, mileage and toll fees. I'm driving there at Easter.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
jase2472, We avoid Lyon centre, oh and Exit 8 off the Grenoble motorway at 6pm on a Saturday during holidays times (we've been sat there a good hour or so on a few occasions!). Driving down, in my opinion is so much easier than carting skis/boots on and off a plane, waiting for hire cars/transfers, etc. Also, the 'better half' can take as many clothes and shoes as she can fit in your roof box and not worry about any weight restrictions!! wink Laughing Laughing
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I would drive toward ADH.

Then turn right at the bottom of the hill and go to LDA, instead.

ADH is a dreadful place.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
jase2472, You will make good time until you get to Macon when the time will drag somewhat. It is a case of so near yet so far....but once you get past Grenoble you are 90-120 mins away from ADH. The road up is the famous Tour Du France finishing climb and it has about 21 switchbacks. I thought the drive was fine and the car is still th best wasy to go, IMV, if you don't hang about and have a change of drivers to keep the car moving. 10 hrs from Calais at a decent pace and no long stops. Fuel, coffee and a roll should be the ticket and then that time is achievable, IMO.

ADH is on our list this year
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
R32, jase2472, use the autoroute via Bourg-en-Bresse, as this avoids the Lyon by-pass, it is a much quieter road, goes past Lyon airport. (A39/A40/A432) . R32, I have great difficulty persuading those other from 'oop north' that driving is a feasible option.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Helen Beaumont, ...R32, There's no need to avoid Lyon town centre between 2200 hrs and about 0600 (later on the weekend); in deed it is quicker! I've been avoiding it for years and using "Racade Est' or whatever it's called. but got persuaded a fortnight ago to give it another try .... it can be very fast ... just watch out for 'The Camera Signs' ...

jase2472, JT, has summed it up nicely , nice easy drive until Grenoble , and then it's a case of thinking ' an hour or two' and not what your Sat Nav says !!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We drove to that area at Christmas, went on Friday(, traffic apparently busier Saturday) stayed overnight in Grenoble then an hour or so next day! Ferry great going, horrendous coming back 5 hour delay and people throwing up EVERYWHERE!! never again!! take the tunnel!!
Kids quiet all the way with portable dvd player and mp3's! would definately do it again!! Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Helen Beaumont, Yes that's the way we go.....and always stop off at the 'chicken stop' services (Bourg en Bresse), where the big metal chicken sculpture is, Heston Blumenthal the chef went there too!

jase2472, and.......always have a toilet stop just before Grenoble......as Agenterre says you may have a long wait!

We left last week after work and caught the Eurotunnel at midnight, drove until about 3am, had a powernap in the car and continued......roads completely dead Very Happy . Probably not practical with kids though, but you could stop over in Calais or Reims on the way down.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
feefee, Yes, I agree, take the tunnel, so much easier and if you get there early they stick you an earlier train.....if there's space Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jase2472, driving over to the Alps in July and we have decided on the Speed Ferry this time instead of a much over-inflated price for the Eurotunnel Sad SpeedFerry cost for the ticket based on a car with max. 5 people is £76 return. Echo the other advice here regarding ViaMichelin as this has been great for the route plan. Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Via Michelin also lists the speed camera locations on your route. But last week the one near Calais Eu terminal was missing but the sign was still there (the camera was there in April!) and a new one has appeared between Reims and Dijon.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boredsurfin, yes ... so look out for the signs .. they are always accurate !!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I usually use Speedferries but am taking one of the larger vessels next Winter. With their boats being so small you can have some very rough crossings in the Winter. Went over in (I think) 2m waves in February which was close to the maximum they sail in. Should have been worried when we got on and there was a sick bag ready on every single seat spoo
ski holidays
Agenterre, The sign was there but the camera wasn't Laughing
I think the those cunning French Gendarmes are simply moving the cameras around instead of buying more Laughing
ski holidays
jase2472, Its a really easy drive - we normally do it in about 8/8.5 hours but that is without any significant stops. Don't think there is that much difference between the Bourg-en-Bresse or Macon-Lyon route, we tend to alternate to keep it interesting!! The new bypasses on the road through the valley should all be completed by next winter and that will improve the traffic flow no end. Coming up the bends is lots of fun!
latest report
boredsurfin, Well .. we we still slowed down and a new record Calais to Cannes ( childish aren't I!! ) rolling eyes
ski holidays
we aren;t getting th tunnel this summer, as I'd used all my Clubcard vouchers , so we've booked on SeaFrance, and will make it our lunch stop, the brasserie is lovely. Overnight in Chalons-en-Champagne, then down to SC in one go the following day. Ad yes, we will be stopping for Poulet en Bresse et frites!! Very Happy Agenterre, we;ve driven through Lyon one Saturday afternoon years ago, trying to find a hotel that Stena had booked for us. It was completely the wrong side of Lyon though. rolling eyes
latest report
Golf advice now in Apres Zone.
latest report
Agenterre, We had a record trip coming back on Sunday ....until we hit the M25 which was being used as a car park Sad
snow conditions
Never thought twice to drive to ADH myself.

Last Mar I drove to Sion of Switzerland, then Italian Cervinia, then French Serre Chevalier (to sample the Italian Milky Way) and stoped over at Bourg De O'sian just to ski ADH and L2A.

There are 21 hairpin bends to ADH and 10 at the L2A side, so have a set of snowchains just in case because it may be covered with snow on your way up or down.

While you are in ADH try to cross the road to visit L2A too.
ski holidays
thanks everyone for the advice but we are now going to Andorra so any tips on driving there snowHead
snow report
jase2472, don't.
ski holidays
jase2472, Unfair to the kid ...I'm with Helen Beaumont, You're looking at 750-ish + miles from Calais .... 10 + hrs, c. €50 for tolls , circumnavigating Paris, not the best motorways in France (fog) . The Cost ? At a minimum , earache from the Better Half Shocked
snow conditions
jase2472,

Done it once and its just too far
ski holidays
jase2472 wrote:
thanks everyone for the advice but we are now going to Andorra so any tips on driving there snowHead

Start in Barcelona or Toulouse.
snow report
thats cheating strating off ion Lancashire wink snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jase2472, OK, start in Lancashire, drive to an airport near where you live. Driving all the way to Andorra would not be pleasant IMHO.
ski holidays
jase2472, It is 200 miles further than ADH e.g but then again Newcastle is 300 miles further than London
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, ... and worse roads and a worse journey ...imho, but then again now it's just 2 blokes and car over 3 days ..why not .. nice road trip ( in the summer!!)
latest report
Quote:

While you are in ADH try to cross the road to visit L2A too Laughing

or better still take the helicopter snowHead - great experience although they drop you just above resort level rather than helpfully on the top. Have driven to L2A - just don't arrive at the same time as peak french holidays - we discovered on the autoroute that we had picked the wrong week when south of Paris at 4am every car had skis on the roof, and it was BUSY - 6 hours from Grenoble to L2A Feb 1/2 term Sad
snow conditions
I recon on £450, for the Tunnel, fuel & tolls for a round trip. That's in a 3.0l Diesel with top box not sparing the horses.
latest report
jase2472, I would agree with Wear The Fox Hat, unless you leave child at home, even then I can only remember one single lane road through Andorra, it was really busy and it was the middle of summer.....wouldn't like to drive all that way and then be stuck for hours on that road!! When we drove through Pas de la Casa it was like a gold rush town, loads of youths running around with crates of beer under arms....was it something to do with it being duty free I wonder rolling eyes rolling eyes
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy