Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What would be bargain skis for me?

Poster: A snowHead
So, I've been reading on the Techy bargins thread and sometimes folks pick up bargins in skis as well as anything else. As you know by now I won't turn up my nose at a bargin and I think this should include skis.

I know you have all said at my level and usage the hire shop is a better bet and I tend to concur, but if I saw appropriate skis with decent bases and sides on a boot sale or ebay for silly money (say <£100) they might be worth me buying to save on hire fees. The thing is I don't know a great deal about skis - what sort of figures should I be looking for in terms of ski specs (that info printed onto the skis?) to find something second hand that would be worth me buying?

You all know about my experience, I'm 174cm and about 90Kg. Also, what should I look for in second hand skis, bearing in mind I won't give them further hard use at present and will no doubt outgrow them before I wear them out. I did like these Volkl 154cm G3 skis that I used this year if thats any help.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 3-06-07 21:27; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I can sell you some if you like, though not for less than £100. Cool
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You need to be careful about ebay second hand - there's some real rubbish out there. You might have seen Snowheads boasting about buying skis for £X, using them for a season and then selling them on ebay for £X + £Y. If you are determined to buy yourself some skis there are loads of end of season sale bargains around. New might be more reliable.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.

These, for example.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Megamum,
Buying skis was good for me as I have a season ticket at a Scottish centre just over an hour away.
I used them outdoors 18 times this last season here (thus saving 18 X £20 rental)

I also went on 3 European holidays and didn’t take them as the charges for carriage and the hassle involved carting them about were out weighed by the convince of hiring in resort.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Megamum, will you leave your skis in Switzerland? Will you service them yourself? Otherwise the cost of a service (especially at Swiss prices) and ski carriage will eat into the saving in hire fees. Here, you can get a new pair of skis from a supermarket for 250 CHF. Alternatively Stoeckli sell off last years hire skis at half price.

If you get second hand skis I guess you need to check that the bindings will fit your boots within the available range of adjustment.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Improve your skiing: buy a mountain bike.
snow report
 brian
brian
Megamum,

Haven't the faintest idea if these skis would be good, bad or indifferent for you, but they're certainly a bargain !

http://sport-conrad.com/ArtikelDetail.asp?Kategorie=&ArtNummer=70401049
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I wouldn't buy anything from eBay that I'm not an expert of. You're likely ended up with gear not really suitable for you or worse, got rip off. Unless you know how to ask the right question, your chance of getting the right gear in good condition is not good.

Don't forget to factor in the cost of getting the binding checked and adjusted for your boot. Not to mentioned the carriage charge.

Buying from other snowhead, on the other hand, is a different story.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
brian, not a bad choice, but I would still go with the MTB option
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
abc, That's good sounding advice thanks.

I know its naughty to want them at my stage in skiing, but I do think it would be great to get my own skis at some point. I don't think carriage is so much of an issue as we tend to drive to our ski resorts in Switzerland and I would anticipate putting them on top of the car. The thing is not knowing what sort of specs that I would need - I think I will be a control freak and want something that is easy to turn rather than something that is dedicated to out and out speed - I doubt I shall be a 'straight down the nearest fall-line' skier. I also think that I will be sufficiently big and ugly that I may even need a lightweight man's ski rather than a ladies ski, N.B. If a lady buys a man's ski do the bindings still mount a little further forward.

brian, I wish I hadn't checked out that link - I'm telling myself, 'down credit card, naughty credit card' the trouble is I've just blown for new spectacles after belting that other pair before Crimbo. £340 Shocked - I could have spent that on skis!! What I did like about those Volkls is the fact that looked a little like the ones I have been skiing on.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Megamum, Those skis, at 170cms, are a tad long for you, I'd say.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w, bah, she won't want mine then - they're 172s.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum wrote:
......If a lady buys a man's ski do the bindings still mount a little further forward.....

Yes if you get Atomic or Tyrolia bindings. Best to still get a female specific ski though but just a slightly stiffer model.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w, actually they're just about right for her current weight though the turn radius is a little longer than she might want at 2 weeks, but what do you want of skis designed for 2003.
ski holidays
Quote:

I think I will be a control freak

That explains why you want your own ski! Wink

I did quite well by going to a ski shop in the middle of summer on a Monday, when business was at a standing still. I asked the owner, who seem friendly and knowledgeable, to pick one that's about right for me. After a few minite of back and forth on how I ski and my body specifics, he handed me a pair that's about the right length and right flex. Since eveerything in the shop was 50% off anyway, mine was also at 1/2 price. I was pretty happy with the purchase for the next 4-5 years.

Granted, I was already an intermediate and my skiing have already had a "pattern". For a quickly improving beginer, it's a bit of a challenge to find one that's just right to "grow into" instead of grow out of within the next season.
snow report
abc wrote:

That explains why you want your own ski! Wink

And here I thought it was my first documented case of Fleabay envy. Sad Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Hmmm it's rather difficult to say - and more to the point for you to say - what you want/need until you get off that nursery slope. Once you are trundling round the blues (even carefully selected) then it's a different matter. If you were at that stage (or expect to get there very soon) I have a pair of 05/06 Monster 72s in a 156 length for sale which, at your height, would turn easily yet take you almost anywhere on the mountain. They've had a total of about 30 days on them, I loved them for the season I used them but only used them for about 1 day this last season as other toys were more fun Wink If you could handle them at your stage, then they would probably do you for some years but I was rather more advanced than you when I got them so I can't judge how an advanced beginner would handle them
ski holidays
Megamum, IMHO the skis that eng_ch, sound good - they would be OK length wise too - you & I are prettty similar height & I ski 160's - as per pam w, the volkls are great, but quite long.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
At 90 kg, I'm not sure 170cm is long but anyway, a not quite as exciting but still bargain bargain:

http://sport-conrad.com/ArtikelDetail.asp?Kategorie=&ArtNummer=70401006

These'll take you right into the realms of intermediacy quite happily I'd have thought.
latest report
eng_ch, rpft, brian, I think the best thing to do is wait until the 12th. Several folks will see then how well I can't ski and whether the type of equipment being suggested might be useful. eng_ch, It could be that something good and secondhand as you have might well be useful, once I know more I might get back to you - the fact that you're in Switzerland might mean that I could arrange collection when I'm next out there if what you have proves a good idea.
ski holidays
Megamum, Deb's selling her 160cm Burnin Luv's if your interested:

http://www.jonsskituning.co.uk

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 6-06-07 19:51; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just bought my daughter a pair of Elan My Spice Women's skis from Filiranskis for a very good price. She was taken mainly by the very bright design (including a splash of orange wink ) but looking at the spec they should suit her well. Worth considering.
snow report
Quote:

Megamum, Deb's selling her 160cm Burnin Luv's if your interested:

spyderjon, I rather think the Burning Luv is NOT a very good ski for beginer. It's quite stiff for a women ski, "planky" as easiski puts it. Having demo-ed it, I found it unforgiving (though to be frank, I was under-weight for it). It's also very narrow (68mm underfoot), with relatively little sidecut, not the best tool to get a feel of carving.

However, it's great if what you want to do with it is zoom down the hill at high speed, and it's also great at biting into ice.
ski holidays
Colin B wrote:
Just bought my daughter a pair of Elan My Spice Women's skis from Filiranskis for a very good price.

I just a pair of Elan Magfire 12s from the same place, for an equally great price Smile
snow report
spyderjon, what's Debs getting instead of the Burning Luvs?
snow conditions
spyderjon, SXB5's & sugar daddy's Shocked what an exciting life you have been leading snowHead
ski holidays
RachelQ, She has got some new Pilgrims
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Older models:

Dynastar 4800 165cm
Metron 10 157cm
Elan Magfire 10 160cm
Elan M666 168cm
Elan MO2 176cm
Fischer RX6 165cm
Nordica Speedmachine 12 162cm
Head iXRC800 163cm
Head Hot Thang 163cm
Head C210 170cm
ski holidays
abc wrote:
spyderjon, I rather think the Burning Luv is NOT a very good ski for beginer. It's quite stiff for a women ski, "planky" as easiski puts it. Having demo-ed it, I found it unforgiving (though to be frank, I was under-weight for it). It's also very narrow (68mm underfoot), with relatively little sidecut, not the best tool to get a feel of carving. However, it's great if what you want to do with it is zoom down the hill at high speed, and it's also great at biting into ice.

abc, sorry but I disagree - if I didn't think it suitable I wouldn't have suggested it.

68mm is about standard underfoot for a piste ski & this also makes it easier for the user to get their hips across & the skis on edge, as well as contributing to excellent edge hold which gives confidence. There's plenty of posts around from instructors saying not to start learning on too wide a ski.

The BL is 115/68/99 with a 13m turn radius which is an ideal carving sidecut. Exactly how much more turny would you suggest?

Yes the BL is stiffish however stiffness is, as you have acknowledged, much very much related to the user's stats. If Megamum was a lot lighter I wouldn't be suggesting it, however she'd easily handle a 160 BL, the tip of which would be between chin & nose height for her which'd be about spot on. Some might say shoulder height might be better but the difference is minimal.

Many modern skis have a wide operating envelope re user ability with the manufacturers making too many overlapping models which seems to have led to many beginners under specifying their requirements. The BL is a ski that's great for a wide range of user abilities. Better to buy a ski with a decent construction that will last & that is very usable now but also has plenty in the tank to accomodate a determined student, which Megamum certainly appears to be. And if that ski can be bought at a fraction of the new price then even better.

Oh, & most importantly, the BL's will also match her outfit Cool

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Tue 5-06-07 19:11; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
rpft wrote:
spyderjon, SXB5's & sugar daddy's Shocked what an exciting life you have been leading snowHead

rpft, just having a bit of a clear out. Don't worry though I've plenty more wink
latest report
spyderjon, i'm going to jump in here as well, i agree with most of what you say about the BL's as to there side cut etc etc, but i would not consider putting a beginner / lower end intermediate on to that ski, true luv or possibly one luv, but the burning luv is the top of the ladies range [piste orientation] from K2

mind you all's fair in luv and selling skis Little Angel Little Angel
ski holidays
spyderjon, what are the sxb5's like - did you try them?
latest report
This is all of great interest - thank you all for the input so far. I was thinking that something approaching 160-164cm might start to be suitable - my instructor was starting to indicate that a longer ski might be better for me. I'm sure I want skis that are quite waisted with a small turning radius 11-12m, they won't need to be too lightweight either - I'll never be one of life's supermodels Laughing - I harbour a little thought that our Little Lizzard may have been on a wind up - the photo she posted looked nothing like the skis I have been using. It's a pity I can't afford the MK ski test trip.

I wonder what they'll put me on at MK next week? - I've only ever properly skied the Volkl G3's so far - I used the same ski last year too.

comprex, That is an interesting list - some of them seem a bit on the long side at the moment - somehow the idea works in my mind that longer (at the moment) will not be as easy to handle. It is interesting though to have some models to look for in the secondhand market.

I'm pleased with this thread - I'm learning lots and can probably see me having skis by holiday next year (though it looks like I'll have to save up a bit more to get decent ones) - I'll also have to see if DH would have room to mount them next to our top box - my Swiss friends have two special clamps that attach to their roof bars - there might be room for such a system next to the top box - if I can't fit them on I'll have to drop the whole idea Crying or Very sad .

Psst.....by the way although several of you are being kind and suggesting that I'm a low end intermediate, I think enthusiastic beginner probably better describes the current competency snowHead
snow report
CEM wrote:
spyderjon, i'm going to jump in here as well, i agree with most of what you say about the BL's as to there side cut etc etc, but i would not consider putting a beginner / lower end intermediate on to that ski, true luv or possibly one luv, but the burning luv is the top of the ladies range [piste orientation] from K2. mind you all's fair in luv and selling skis Little Angel Little Angel

CEM, I'd normally agree re a True or One Luv but no problem when 174cm/90kg. I've a bit of direct experience re this as my mate's missus has the same stats as Megamum & bought the 160 BL after demo'ing with her CSIA 3 instructor/husband at the end of her second week's skiing & she had absolutely no problem with bending it. She's pretty timid & was at plough-parallel stage at the time so speed certainly wasn't helping the flex.
snow report
Megamum, I echo the Elan 666 the shortest length was 168 but I did see some at 158 last season, it is an easy turning ski that has no vices and you could grow into it.

rob@rar, 2006/2007 model or 2007/2008 because there is a big difference. Next season's skis from elan seem to have had a major revamp for the better, having said that last seasons were good, the Magfires have been more aimed at all mountain with 80mm under foot.
Edit
rob@rar, Ooops just saw your other post.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 5-06-07 21:37; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
spyderjon, i would still be looking at a sligtly longer ski in a softer flex

every skier is diffent, i am convinced that too many people buy skis above their level as a status symbol...or by being bullied by sales staff/ seduced bymagazine reviews, a few years back about 4 or 5 members of the ski industry inc myself, the MD of S&R and one of the best techical skiers in scotland spent a morning blasting around on pairs of 160 and 170 atomic C9's ......a £300 package ski...makes me laugh when people on here slate skis and say they don't hold an edge...i can assure you that all of us thought that the £300 package ski held a great edge on hard/ icy piste, and no one was hanging around or skidding their turns

so why do intermediate skiers insist on spending £400+ on skis Puzzled Puzzled
ski holidays
Megamum, shorter skis are more easily skidded, its true.
snow report
Quote:

Many modern skis have a wide operating envelope re user ability with the manufacturers making too many overlapping models

Quote:

spyderjon, i would still be looking at a sligtly longer ski in a softer flex

I'm always perplex by that issue. Is it better to go for a stiffer ski at shorter length, or better to go for a softer ski at longer length? What difference if any? Would the skier notice?
ski holidays
Megamum, I know you have an infinite ability to absorb detail , but IF you have decided to buy skis then just do it. I'm also a (somewhat limited in ability) Beginner /Intermediate.

You are now inundated with every recommendation in the WORLD. Deb's skis look great , but if you think you'll 'find' something
special on a dry ski slope ..GREAT.

I'm a bit taller than you and slightly less weight so anything over 150cm should be fine imho, just stay under 165.

JFDI .. you'll have a base point (or the love of your life), prevarication will give you no more knowledge.

PS . Spyderjon you've screwed up the page width !! PLEASE change it Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy