Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Suggestions for mixed small group please for Feb half term - Thanks - hol booked!

Poster: A snowHead
My friends and I are soon going to get together and discuss ideas as to location/accommodation for next year, which will be my second ever ski holiday. I'd be really grateful for some brief suggestions (with links if possible) so I can make a useful contribution to the discussion. The group are all 40+ in age and are:

Married couple - he's a good confident skier wanting good variety, she is nervous; has skied some reds but prefers blues

65yr old female - skis blues and most reds

40yr old female who also skies blues reds

Me (50, female - looking for appropriate ski school of 2-3 hrs a day max and also hoping there are some really nice easy green/blues for the sake of confidence building!)

Possibly another single chap in his 40s who would ski anything, but has limited funds so is not yet definite.

Budget
Not too expensive, say up to about £750-800 per person total, inc accomm/transport/lift pass/skis (all have own boots).

Resort
Not really bothered as long as it is pretty much snow-sure

Accommodation:
We need one double room, plus accommodation for 3 further females and possibly 1 male.

Not being in the first flush of youth, and a couple of us being bad sleepers, we prefer some home comforts rather than being squeezed into bunks in every conceivable alcove, but we are open to ideas of self-catered or catered, apartment, chalet or hotel depending on the overall price/value. Easy access to slopes/lifts is important. Ski in/out would be nice, but more important than that is somewhere that the transfer vehicle can get to - we definitely do NOT want to have to haul ourselves and our own luggage up/down a long icy slope again like last year! It's also quite important we are in easy reach of shops/restaurants.

Transport
We would consider train, but are not keen to drive all the way. We quite like the idea of independently booking a self-catering chalet and then individually getting budget airline flights from different UK airports as we don't all live in the same region. However having looked I can't find any cheap flights at all yet for Feb half term - are we likely to get reasonable prices or is a package deal going to be better? (Has to be half term, one of the group's a teacher).

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 19-06-07 6:35; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
NewSkier, I'd guess that many resorts would suite the overall terrain requirements of your group, certainly most that link into the big ski systems would fit the bill. Is there a preference for country to narrow things down a bit?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jmdohanlon, I think the others may prefer France, but I know they've been to other places. On a selfish note, I quite fancy practising my German, but that is low priority I guess! It's just that looking at brochures, they all reckon ALL resorts are pretty near perfect for everyone - recommendations from people's own experiences are so much better.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
NewSkier, if you want it to be a good confidence building trip and have it half term i really suggest you stray away from the usual French mega-resorts. Yes its true, going to the big ski systems would have suitable runs but they will also be jam packed... Most beginners would find it much easier to go down a steepish slope that is nice and empty, than have to try and struggle down a flat blue piste with no room to turn...

I would suggest looking at Austrian/Swiss/Italian resorts that don't really feature heavily at all in British brochures.

Make sure when you're looking at potential resorts that you don't just consider the height of the actual resort. There are many resorts that are quit high but dont really feature much high skiing, and then many resorts that may have a lower centre but have access to very high skiing. For example, Les Deux Alpes in France may be considered low at 1650m, but all the skiing is above that height, mostly above 2500m.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
NewSkier,
My own experience of february half term is that it is invariably more expensive than just about any other time and both buget airlines and tour operators put up their prices. It is still worth while DIYing as this usually works out cheaper than the tour operators but ordinary airlines will be just as good, just don't expect any real bargains.

Most resorts will expect to have reasonable snow mid feb and you would be unlucky not to get it wherever. I would agree with the advice to avoid France if possible as it gets busier than most mid feb. France is also about the most expensive ski country on the ground in Europe.

One suggestion would be Obertauern which has an excellent snow record, varied skiing and a lot of ski in/out or very convenient accommodation, there will be plenty of other resorts that fulfill your criteria though.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
NewSkier, Given that you are a relatively inexperienced party, I would suggest Champoluc in Italy. It fits well with your budget, the skiing is mostly snow cannon supported and most importamtly, will be relatively quiet during half term. It's not the most extensive area in the world but has lots of cruisy blues. And there's enough challenging terrain to suit (I think, given your descriptions). Easily find flights into Milan or Turin. Accomodation tends to be in hotels with the tour operators or apartments via the tourist office otherwise. I can't really comment on the ski school as SWMBO is related an least tangentially to most of them.

Another suggestion in Italy would be Courmayeur - or Cortina.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
NewSkier, My recommendation would be the italian dolomites. Our party of 40-50 year olds have booked February half-term in Corvara. We have a mixture of very experienced and experienced (but hesitant) skiers (plus a few teenagers). We wanted somewhere that catered for all. This year we went to Selva Gardena on the Sella Ronda which was fantastic. After experiencing the Sella Ronda we did our homework and pinpointed Corvara as our perfect destination for next year. Easy blues on the doorstep for the less experienced and "the worlds your oyster" for everybody else. Looks like a pretty resort with a decent amount of restaurants and bars. Our hotel, Bel Sit, is £430 each for a superior room. Transfer about £40. Flights with RyanAir last year were about £50 each return. Our requirements are good skiing and pretty resort, and Corvara seems to tick those boxes. By the way, the dolomites were breathtaking.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Oh yes. Italy is brilliant in that it seems to have the shortest lessons for ski school. About 2 - 2.5 hours which seems plenty to me!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
NewSkier, I would second Christina1, . We also stayed in Selva and although had slushy conditions mid March, it dumped down powder the week after. You can not guarentee the weather but everything else is a given.

You also have the advantage of practicing your German. This part of Italy speaks German. Beautiful scenery but if you are with a not so competent/confident group Corvara or indeed Colfosco would be a better choice. Better off slope in Corvara.

Have fun.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
NewSkier, Pricewise it depends on which of the half term weeks you are hoping to go away as normally one tends to be cheaper than the other. We would be very happy to help you in our chalet in Alpe d'Huez which is a great resort for a group with a range of skiing ability. We serve delicious five course evening meals that you can discuss your ski progress over! If you are interested please have a look at our website and get in touch. We are always happy to give special discounts to snowheads snowHead
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for the replies- will add the suggestions to the list to discuss!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Selva or other Dolomites. You even get to speak German.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We've now booked a s/c apartment in Vallandry.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
NewSkier, woohooo! That's always exciting when the hols is finally booked snowHead

New Generation at Vallandry is a very good ski school, run by John Thomas, who is an occasional snowHead. I can recommend him for lessons and, most importantly, he's very patient and understanding - ideal for the 'improving skier' Toofy Grin Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
cathy, NewGen are fully booked that week for all except private lessons and those are so expensive (229 Eu for 3hr lesson!)
snow report
NewSkier, I'd just read that in your thread in Trips! What a shame Sad Although you will improve so much with a private lesson it might be something you should consider as an investment and have perhaps two private lessons during the week. I wish I'd taken good private lessons at an early stage. You should improve fast and enjoy your skiing much more Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy