Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Footwear

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Everyone

Can anyone give me some advise on good footwear for use arround the resort when not skiing?

Cheers
Crux
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi crux, welcome to snowHead snowHeads snowHead

I use some Salomon "high" jobbies with a waterproof membrane and a bad ass sole which grips in soft snow. Good enough for most resort walking if a bit chunky for table dancing. Many folk don't bother and just wear ordinary footwear. For icy stuff - be careful and walk in a natural stride, no strange pussyfooting bird walks.

Don't wear moonboots or funny furry things please Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cant go wrong with a pair of timberland dessert boots been using them for years
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Either Timberland or Zamberlan goretex boots - keep your feet dry, and have good grip on snow/ice
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the swift replies!

I was planning to use my walking boots, but the wife really fancies some 'funny furry things' Laughing are they really a no-no?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
crux, depends on how much of the time you want her to be laughed at...

I mean, if you must, get a pair of Ugs or something like that.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If your like me you'll tell her that they're all the rage and giggle to yourself everytime she wears them but if your a normal nice guy you'll tell her not to bother with them.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think it's time we banned the Fashion Police. One of the fun bits of skiing is dressing up. For those of us in Suit Jobs, the chance to dress up in something colourful was expecially thrilling; to dress up in something silly even more so. I've worn Moonboots and a one-piece suit (glorious purple, green and yellow). They kept the heat in and the cold out. I thought "anything goes" was the message. But no: now everywhere there are people sneering at the colour, the shape, the design, the label.
Well, it's time to make a stand. Be different.
So, crux, ignore all the silly comments and get whatever you feel good in.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Crux is going to wear a short pink skirt? Ideal resort apparel Shocked
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
crux, your walking boots will be fine - maybe a bit overkill even. If you've got a pair of lighter walking shoes or "mid" boots they'll do the job.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have an ancient pair of snowboots but they're a dull grey outer and not too high up the leg. Fit under my jeans, when they look a bit like carpet slippers with attitude. I wear 'em in transit too - have appreciated the warmth in drafty coaches and while hanging around airports. Keeps the baggage weight down. Easy to slip on and off. Good grip. And occasionally useful when new snow would come over the top of 'normal' footware. But as others have said there's no need to lash out cash for anything special. Have a good time crux, whatever you and your wife wear.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I bought a pair of Salomon Pro Trek 6 GTX from EB 2 seasons ago. They're superb, and under £90 for a waterproof (gore-tex) boot with a sole that never slips.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
crux,
Peter B's boots looked really good in Courchevel - so good that if his feet went so much bigger than mine then he scouser in me might have kicked in & they'd now be MINE Twisted Evil

Kuwait ian's point about a choosing a pair that you can travel in to cut down on bulk & weight is very valid. My boots are way too warm for airtravel, but also heavy & bulky to pack. I'm shopping at the ski show this weekend so that Peter B & I can look like a pair of bookends.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
crux, for someone with that screen name only the most appropriate will do:

snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
spyderjon, don't compromise on fit to get them though. If there's any doubt on how comfortable they are (will be), then go for a different boot. You'll hate yourself in a few weeks otherwise. Or more importantly, your feet will.
snow conditions
comprex,

I thought us skiers were bad enough with our tight fitting boots etc.

Deb has two pairs of climbing shoes like your pic, for which the first fitting criteria was that they had to be at least one size too small to start with Shocked
latest report
So, let me get this summarised... This season for après skiwear I will wear a short pink skirt and rock climbing boots Laughing and wifey will be in funny furry things matched with a glorious purple, green and yellow one piece Laughing Laughing Hmm... actually I think I remember seeing this kind of kit on ebay Toofy Grin

Thanks for the advice people, I'm looking forward to wowing everyone we meet Wink
ski holidays
Now, crux, what is a proper snowHead supposed to think when the snowHead reads a sentence like: "Around the resort when not skiing"?

a) There is no snow Sad
b) There are mountains all about.

For my own part whilst in the resort, Tecnica TCY to haul luggage in, and Batas for tango emergencies.
snow conditions
Snow and Rock have 2 pairs of apres ski boots - a black hairy pair and a white hairy pair. Has anyone bought these? If I were to buy a pair, is it cool / not cool to wear them for travelling in ? (i.e.would people point and laugh?)
latest report
Just had a flick through the catalouge i think i would be laughing at them could be cool in the bedroom but outside world wouldn't be my cup of tea. Sorry
ski holidays
Crux - Just been looking at new boots and found a fab pair of girlie Timberlanders they are a 3/4 leg legnth and the top is split at the side so you can turn them down to reveal fur, they are only about £90 !! a great buy to keep your wifes feet warm dry and trendy. NehNeh
snow conditions
That is depend on your taste for what kind of footwear you wear...

What's wrong with trainers? Most resorts clear the roads and paths of snow pretty quickly so snow boots aren't really necessary...

However, I do have a pair of fake fur-lined pretend Ugg boots (i.e. costing a tenner not a oner) just in case trainers aren't up to the task...
snow conditions
shadowfornaught nicely revived old thread, with little to content to add other than a link to a commercial venture in the signature.

But, welcome to snowHead anyway.

queen bodecia, what's wrong with them is they look like Rs, dance like cr@p and are total poser wear. If it's dry and clear enough for trainers, it's dry and clear enough for high heels unless you're just in from a run? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
comprex, LOL! I'm not really a high heels gal, more of a joggers/jeans and trainers gal. Comfort over fashion every time when you get to my age...
snow report
There were 300+ students in Val Thorens last December who were having an Hawaian evening and footwear order for them was beach flip flops on the evening of the big windy icy gale we had on the Saturday night Shocked
snow report
I've just invested in a pair of Sorel Caribou boots - http://www.sorel.com/Product.aspx?top=1&cat=120&prod=49

They come in a girlie version too and also looking at the Sorel site there's a whole host of different designs:-

Mens http://www.sorel.com/Subcategory.aspx?top=1
Womens http://www.sorel.com/Subcategory.aspx?top=2

The Caribou boots are good for -40C/F Shocked which should be plenty Very Happy
latest report
I went for the fake-Ugg boots today. Bit too chilly for trainers...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum wrote:
There were 300+ students in Val Thorens last December who were having an Hawaian evening and footwear order for them was beach flip flops on the evening of the big windy icy gale we had on the Saturday night Shocked

Hehehehe I saw them - all dressed as Santa!!

My apres boots of choice are these:

ski holidays

These worked well in Finland. Kimmo is just weird, always getting his girls ass out.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy