Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best BBQ Charcoal??

Poster: A snowHead
We were lucky enough to find some "restaurant grade" wood charcoal in Carrefour a fortnight ago. Amazing. Became astonishingly hot and lasted for ages. Sadly, their "ordinary" stuff ain't nearly as good.

Thoughts? recommendations?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
David Murdoch, You should have bought more while you had the chance.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I must admit to being a convert to a lava bed and gas - exactly the same taste - far less hassle. However, one of the market stall holders in our local town has a small copiced wood just outside the town boundary and she produces her own charcoal for sale - its supposed to be 'the business'.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
BBQs are for losers.

I regret every one I have attended. Just say 'No'. You have better things to do. You could be playing golf.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Masque, yep.

Megamum, Does she export?

Latchigo, Ah, If only I could play golf, at least then I'd have an excuse for wearing argyll jumpers. Incidentally, this evening's fillet steaks were quite excellent thank you.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Latchigo, What??!! Barbecues are great. A chance to eat far too much, put your feet up with glasses of wine, and laugh at men messing with fire and fancying themselves significant.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lumpwood. Everytime. Those briquettes are hopeless.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Latchigo,
Quote:

BBQs are for losers
I agree. The food is never, but never, properly cooked - it's either raw or burnt to a cinder. The timing for reaching the correct cooking temperature is always entirely unpredictable. And it's messy and smelly - especially in my neighbourhood, where everyone seems to use those firelighter things, which really stink, even more than the smoke which comes into all the neighbours' houses, when the incompetent cooks set their food alight! I think that barbecues should in any event be banned, as being a nuisance, in urban or suburban neighbourhoods.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hurtle, you clearly have an incompetent man. You should swap him for a proper one.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Restaurant charcoal can get it at Makro or Bookers. Lumpwood othewise.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The best charcoal is definately lumpwood - briquettes are universally cr*p. But you *must* wait sufffient time for flames to die down and a uniform heat to develop.

If you can't be bothered to wait, then a gas BBQ I used to think was a poor substitute, until I got a Rotal Barby (http://www.channel4.com/4homes/style/garden/barbecue_products.html). Dunno if they are still available, but with this it's a rare week that our Barby_doesn't_ get used - even if we eat indoors afterwards.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
woody911 wrote:
Restaurant charcoal can get it at Makro or Bookers. Lumpwood othewise.

Is the Makro stuff actually different from Lumpwood? Had it in the past, and it seemed very similar (but don't use charcoal anywhere near as often as we used to).
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lizzard,
Quote:

men messing with fire and fancying themselves significant.
Er, I think this was your own quote! I've given up barbies, don't see the point of them, was just making a general observation about barbies I've experienced.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hurtle, it was indeed my own quote. Mr L is more than competent, just not very significant. Laughing
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I've given up barbies,

So have I - I grew up, but my daughter quite enjoys playing with hers Laughing Laughing

I must admit I've seen some atrocious results come off a barbeque, but we've got good cooks here - everything is cooked through (we cut into every item before removing - steak is left to individual taste) and not burned.

I was very skeptical about a gas system - I didn't think we'd get the same taste, but we do. Though I've got more faith in the gas with lava rock system. I've seen several systems that just rely on the gas heating a metal plate that the juices drip onto and presumably the smoke is generated in the same way. However, I do wonder how these keep clean between uses and I'm sure the little cup designed to catch the juices rapidly becomes a unpleasent object to deal with.

David Murdoch, Location noted (sorry!). Nope - no export options!

I'm a little intrigued as to why restaurant charcoal is better - is it hardwood charcoal?
snow report
Lumpwood Charcoal, plus one of these beauties. You will be BBQ King/Queen.

A Charcoal Chimney.
snow conditions
When we used lumpwood charcoal we used to like the little barrel shaped barbeques (I guess similar in principle to the chimney shown above). You stuffed a few sheets of newspaper into the very bottom to light the charcoal which sat on a grid above. The barrel then opened into a flared shaped top onto which you located the circular cooking grid at an appropriate height into a a series of hooks. These were so easy to light and didn't require liquid or chemical firelighters. The shape functioned in a chimney fashion controlled by a vent at the base. WE have just bought one for my bruv.
latest report
Blimey. It's worse than cars and motor-bikes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes
snow report
Latchigo wrote:
BBQs are for losers.

Is Latchigo really Whitegold?
latest report
Hate to say it but the only way to go is a Weber kettle BBQ, so controlable, I have even done a whole Turkey at Christmas without burning it.
If you use the charcoal baskets you get the choice of cooking over the hot coals or using it as an oven. Err I have practiced a bit as the 4 months of summer usually allow me to BBQ 3 or 4 times a week.
snow conditions
Grape Vines/stumps, best taste ever!
ski holidays
Charcoal?

Just get one of these

ski holidays
i must admit to being a gas convert, prior to that only ever lumpwood, and normally in a half oil drum size BBQ, about 10kg is about right, once it has burnt down then spread out to a nice slope from one end to the other you have a very nice variable grill

gas is just convenient and we don't get burnt foot as you can turn it down when you need to Toofy Grin it also means a mid week BBQ is not a complete pain to set up
snow report
CEM,
Quote:

gas is just convenient and we don't get burnt foot as you can turn it down when you need to it also means a mid week BBQ is not a complete pain to set up

That makes sense, especially since constantly eating charred food engulfed in smoke is supposed to be v unhealthy because of the carcinogens produced. Trouble is, if you live in town with a pocket handkerchief-sized garden, where do you keep such an unsightly object such as that illustrated by Mosha Marc?
latest report
Hurtle, do you have a shed/garage/cellar.

If not they do smaller ones.
latest report
Hurtle, my BBQ is almost as big, lives min the garage, you can get some really small ones these days, check out the garden centres and DIY stores Toofy Grin
snow report
I'm with the Weber Kettle too. Whole joints, no problem. Never burn anything. Charcoal every time, with hickory chips or rosemary twigs. If you use a gas one, you might as well use the cooker and cook inside.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sun 27-05-07 10:14; edited 1 time in total
snow report
infact just looked at the picture again, think mine might be bigger that one only has 3 burners Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Spyderman, that's what everyone says, till they weaken and buy one. Then there's no looking back.
latest report
Mosha Marc, I can have it lit and cooking in 20 mins. Gas one's just don't taste as good, you don't get the flavour and aroma with gas. 2 legs of Lamb on the Charcoal BBQ - Heaven.
snow conditions
Mosha Marc, quite agree
ski holidays
Spyderman wrote:
....... Gas one's just don't taste as good.....

Apart from a total lack of black, crispy, carbon jacket on the food, you can't tell the difference. snowHead
latest report
CEM, you must come around and try the Lamb then, you'll change your mind. Toofy Grin
latest report
Spyderman, I do a VERY fine rosemary/lemon/garlic encrusted roast leg of lamb in the oven!
snow report
One of these, and good lumpwood. Believe it or not B and Q's forestry commission approved charcoal is the best.
ski holidays
On of my guests has just turned up with a gas burner on a sort of waist-high stand, on which he puts a griddle iron - they're cooking everything on it. Spiffing!
ski holidays
Mosha Marc,
Quote:

Apart from a total lack of black, crispy, carbon jacket on the food,

No Carbon on mine. Weber kettle with a lid, no flames just smoke.
latest report
No burnt bits on our charcoal barbecue food either.
snow conditions
IMHO gas and charcoal taste the same. The smoke comes from fat dripping on the hot ash or "coals". When charcoal is ready for cooking it gives of no smoke.
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, I agree re: the taste - I'm sure its the fat and the heated surface that gives off the smoke that flavours the food - or added flavour chips i.e. apple wood. We find the gas so convenient - no waiting 20 minutes here for things to heat up.

We've got a really fabulous tiny gas barbeque for camping with too - I'll see if I can find a link.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy