Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

and the point of skiing is to........

Poster: A snowHead
........break your leg? Plunge yourself into a financial misdemeanour? Suffer piste rage? To behave like a glutton for a week or two? To add your two pennies worth to environmental degredation? To get out of the office for a while? To escape the family and your partner? To show off? To do the only thng you can do well for at least one week a year? To pretend to be a saisonaire?

Or, is the point a bit more noble, philosophical, holistic? To experience nature, to connect with your soul, to be at one with the mountain?

I suspect for most people, it'll be in the shallower end of categories, under the strap line of 'having fun'.

What's the point of skiing, folks?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

To do the only thing you can do well for at least one week a year?

oh if only....
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The point of skiing is to:

Get a tan;
Build adrenaline;
Get the ride.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
To get some fresh air and proper weather for a week!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
To break my leg was the outcome rather than the point of my last trip.

Next year the point will be 'NOT to break my leg'.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
For me, Frosty, it's to still practice a sport that I'm 'good at'. It gives me a great feeling of satisfaction still to feel the carve, to get the feeling of something going really well, to experience the 'art' of the sport. These days quantity is very definitley sacrificed for quality; 3-4 good descents certainly outweighs the 'ski till you drop factor'. When it all comes togther, the sense of tranquility, peace and contentment is quite remarkable.

Latchigo-I'm very sorry to hear about that. I should imagine broken legs are still quite rare in the sport.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Broken legs are quite rare.

I think being in really nice surroundings, in countries that you can respect, is part of the attraction. Cross country skiing would appeal if downhill were not available.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
For me the only factor used to be "Have FUN", but it now has an addition in that and I alson see it as a skill under development.
Edit long time no see Mr McLean, Welcome back Very Happy .
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
1. To not be at work.

Then there are others:
Fresh air
Beauiful scenery
Exercise
Fun
Challenge me
Broaden my horizons
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Forget about my home life and get soem great adrenaline rush-aided times.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
to move from one 'Hütte' to another ... (Austria, of course) Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kevin mcclean wrote:
For me, Frosty, it's to still practice a sport that I'm 'good at'. It gives me a great feeling of satisfaction still to feel the carve, to get the feeling of something going really well, to experience the 'art' of the sport. These days quantity is very definitley sacrificed for quality; 3-4 good descents certainly outweighs the 'ski till you drop factor'. When it all comes togther, the sense of tranquility, peace and contentment is quite remarkable.
Kevin, a question after my own heart. I just spent my second ever week skiing asking people just that question. In different ways. It seems also to be about being brave (for the not so good), feeling powerful (for the very good), and attaining grace (for the excellent). Oh, and communing with the mountains for other still. For me, it's also about receiving the kindness of others. In addition, it's not something you can really pretend at. My skiing is as good as it is, I have to deal with it (and it's crapness), the conditions and myself all at once.
It's also a bloody great laugh and snowheads is a great community. Toofy Grin
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
To catch children in my teeth. Twisted Evil
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kerekip wrote:
to move from one 'Hütte' to another ... (Austria, of course) Very Happy

Very Happy proper skiing that is Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Exhilaration, adrenaline, fellowship, scenery, testing myself, achieving but knowing there is so much more progress to be made, not being in London, emptying my mind, new friends, snowHeads, inspiring teachers, etc, etc. The list goes on and on...
snow report
To do something different to break the boredom of daily life.

There're others, such as good scenery, exercise and such... But the main attraction is really just to get away for a while.

On rare occasions, some of those "philosophical" moment happens. But it's more of an "accidental occurance" rather than "the point", much in the same league of "torn ligement" (no broken legs, thanks).
snow conditions
abc, I tend to do some work to break up the boredom of daily life.
ski holidays
There is no real point to skiing, just as there is no point to golf, table tennis or morris dancing but people do them anyway. It's patently stupid to travel thousands of miles to some snowy slope, to be mechanically hauled up it, just to glide back down and do it over again. I haven't a clue why I've devoted most of my life to doing that now the question has been asked... off to find a dark place to think about it.
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, abc is a hard-working American and entitled to enjoy a holiday.

Whereas you are probably a thirty five hour week, long-lunchbreak, France-based layabout.

Different strokes for different folks.

No offence. Laughing
ski holidays
Quote:

1. To not be at work.

Then there are others:
Fresh air
Beauiful scenery
Exercise
Fun
Challenge me
Broaden my horizons

nail on the head sir Smile
latest report
Frosty wrote:
Quote:

1. To not be at work.

Then there are others:
Fresh air
Beauiful scenery
Exercise
Fun
Challenge me
Broaden my horizons

nail on the head sir Smile

Looks like there're quite a few hard-working non-American too! Wink
snow report
Dale Goldsmith, therefore:

zookeeping individual = man with his priorities right
abc = sucker
snow report
kevin mcclean wrote:

I've been asking this question for years Razz
snow conditions
abc, WTFH is an honourary American. Nobody does more than The Ambassador to sing the praises of the USA.
ski holidays
Yes, I can see frosty is getting americanized too. Wink
ski holidays
I love the cold, I love the snow, I love the mountains, I love the fresh air, I love visiting friends and friends-to-be abroad, I love eating the food, I love the different scenery, I love wearing winter clothing, I love enclosing my feet in snug fitting plastic boots, I love the sound and feel of doing up boot clips, I love clipping my booted feet into the bindings on the skis, I love the click as the bindings close, I love the sound of the snow under my skis, I love the feel of the snow as I dib it with a pole, I love feelings of moving on the anow, I love the feeling of flying as I ski down the hill, I love the challenge of steep slopes and bumps, I love seeing my kids and wife enjoying the same feelings, I love seeing my kids and wife getting better and more confident, I love talking about it all, I love the fact that skiing is a sport that I'm reasonably competent at (well, most of the time), I love it when I think a slope will be too difficult it but I breeze it, I love the sound of my mates laughing when I fall, I love laughing at mates when they fall, I love seeing nervous mates getting to grips with it and having the best of times, I love the laughs we all have when chilling out for the evening, I love thinking about it every day of my life, I love looking forward to the next ski holiday, I love dreaming skiing and feeling as if I'm there all over again, I love the way skiing can bring together people from so many different walks of like, I love the way skiing has got me onto snowHeads, I love skiing and I love you all for the laughs and enjoyment and conversation we can all share!

I might think of more.....
snow report
stab wrote:
kevin mcclean wrote:

I've been asking this question for years Razz

Oi, feck off and start a "and the point of snowboarding it to....." thread Laughing Laughing snowHead
snow conditions
Whitegold wrote:
Build adrenaline;
Get the ride.

Babelfish says no.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
..because its a marginally healthier addiction than freebasing crystal meth? But probably more expensive Laughing
snow conditions
Whitegold wrote:
The point of skiing is to:

Get the ride.

'Get the ride' says he.

You do not have to go skiing to get the ride.
ski holidays
To clear my brain of everything normally deemed "essential" and just enjoy "being"
snow conditions
the clean air of the mountains - the thrill factor - the camaraderie (sp) and not being able to think of work!
snow report
stoatsbrother, well put!
snow report
The point of skiing is.....

To ski NehNeh
snow conditions
There is no such thing as the point of skiing. Use the whole edge to carve
ski holidays
I enjoy the being in the mountains with my beloved snow - makes me feel a kid again. I also, just love the sensation of just being in the ski resort/community actually being part of this group of beautiful people who zoom along looking very snazzy in all their special gear, but who don't mind helping out a relative newby like me. I also think this place in great too. My favourite time is when its still crisp, but the sun is out the feeling of just being there is terrific. When I can ski to my own satisfaction I'll enjoy the skiing too
ski holidays
stoatsbrother wrote:
To clear my brain of everything normally deemed "essential" and just enjoy "being"

I think that's it for me too. Breathe deeply and enjoy the day.
latest report
You are all missing the point entirely. Skiing is all about buying lots of kit. And green ski pants (or orange if you must...)
snow report
Are green pants trendy? Dammit, I'll have to stop wearing them. Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
Lizzard wrote:
Are green pants trendy? Dammit, I'll have to stop wearing them. Evil or Very Mad

He means "trousers", not pants, and please, in the name of all that is wholly, keep your pants on!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy