Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix - Les Praz

Poster: A snowHead
I've started the trawl for next years group alpine foray and along with a few others to present as a shortlist Les Praz seems to tick most boxes in terms of good quality self catering, transfer, price, varied ski area etc etc

Anyone able to tell me if it ticks the remaining couple?

Easy access to varied skiing suiting from 2 weeks to umpteen weeks experience ( mainly around 6 weeks - 8 weeks) ...........I think it's convenient for Flegere/Brevant but is it a real trek to get to Le Tour(?) Thinking particularly about the relative novices/cowards ( I may have got my areas confused with other resorts - I've trawled so many!- but hope you know where I mean!)

A couple of local bars and restaurants ...... I know there are late buses to Cham itself but we need something within staggering distance too.

Alternatively other suggestions welcome:

High quality self catering for 18ish 35 - 50 yr olds (not ADH or La Plagne) and already got LDA on shortlist
Driveable from UK and shortish transfer from airport
Easily accessible varied skiing to suit all standards from struggling but keen to 'expert' ( read strong intermediate but don't tell them I said so)
Somewhere 'on the doorstep' for a drink/decent meal and access to more lively apres for those that want it.

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
PM Firebug- I seem to recall he's got a stunning looking chalet in that area and he's probably going to be able to answer your questions about chamonix area. I went to chamonix about 10 edit 14 years ago (still think I'm 23) as a brave aka stupid skier of 3/4 weeks experience. I enjoyed the skiig at La Flaerge (fresh powder day) and Argientiere (I did say aka stupid). I enjoyed Le Tour the least beacuse it was foggy the day we skied there and I skied off a blue piste into a powder bowl and lost one of my skis for ages . I think if you are happy to live with the lack of convenience in terms of the skiing areas not being linked Chamonix is a great place to be. May be a problem in terms of meeting up for lunch if you have a mixed party and some people in ski school. Some of local experts who have been more than once can comment on distance to le tour. I wouldn't have thought more than 15 mins drive

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 21-05-07 16:03; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Annie as dan100 says the drive up to Le Tour isnt too far at all, 15mins or so and the sking up there is well suited to relative novices
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Annie, I've stayed in Les Praz for the last two years, but only for three days each time. It's very convenient for Flegere/ Brevent; within walking distance, depending on where in Les Praz you are.

I've never used the bus to get to Argentiere or Le Tour, as we have always had a car, but certainly they are about 10/15 mins drive, respectively. Le Tour is great on a sunny day for cruising reds and blues, and has some relatively easily accessed off-piste for those that want to push it. Eating options at Le Tour are not great, however.

Les Praz itself is scarce on nightlife/ bars/ restaurants. There's a large hotel/ appt complex with a very soulless bar. And a couple of smallish cafe/ bars. Also, no supermarket to speak of, if you're keen on self-catering. We have stayed about 5 mins outside Les Praz, and the walk/ stagger to Chamonix centre is probably best part of 20 mins. Quite punishing if it's very cold, as it's along the banks of the river. But the taxis and buses are good. And Chamonix centre is very different to virtually any other French Alpine town I've visited - busy, fun, always something going on.

As you'd expect, there is some amazing skiing to be had (we're going for the third year on the bounce next year) but I'm not sure it offers that much convenience for mixed ability groups. And that goes for Les Praz itself, as well as the skiing. But if you're all prepared to put that extra effort in, you can't beat the skiing. And that's the main reason for going, isn't it?!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Pretty much what I had surmised (but not confirmed - that's what snowHead are for!) from various websites Thanks all!

rainman, Any idea if these 'smallish bars' stay open in the evening? I know it sounds like a daft question but recent experience tells me they don't always!

Is there a 'least inconvenient' area to consider staying???.... and any accommodation recommendations????

May have to shortlist it anyway and leave them to decide so all further comments good and bad gratefully received.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Annie, can't vouch for them staying open at night - we've always scarpered early evening and headed for the centre of town. They haven't struck us as the type of place you'd want to spend a whole evening. Even by 6:30 we were usually the only ones in there!

You don't say if you will have cars, or will be relying on the ski buses?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
http://www.chaletlaforet.com/ this was Firebug's chalet. I looked at this enviously. Prob not big enough if there are 18 of you
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
dan100, Definitely not big enough Sad ..........but in the right standard bracket.

rainman, We'll have my car as I'm the catering corps - but mainly reliant on public transport
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Annie,
I went to Chamonix this year for the first time and thought it was great. There is some skiing for pretty much any level of skier. But if you have a group of widely varying abilities you will not be wanting to ski the same areas for much of the time. If all groups have no access to a car some will be reliant on public transport.

These problems are not exactly insurmountable but something to be aware of particularly if people aren't used to lugging skis around or are used to purpose built resorts.

Most resorts have some downside but for easy accss for drivers and from the airport :a Clusaz, Portes de Soleil or Grand Massif are all meant to be good for most skiers. (I haven't been ot Clusaz but it seems to get a pretty good review on snowHead 's)

I went to Haute Nendaz this year which has very good priced self catering accommodation(Try Interhome) and a good variety of slopes not exactly purpose built convenience but easier than Chamonix and reasonably accessable
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Annie, I've shamelessly PM'ed you (twice...)
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
dan100, How nice of you to remember me and many thanks for the kind words Smile p.s. I'm actually a ladybug! Very Happy

Annie, well I pretty much agree with what's been said here! We are indeed too small for you but I'm glad you thought we were the right standard:)
We're with
http://www.bigfoot-travel.co.uk/
who might have something to suit?
or
http://www.chamonix-location.net
have some nice self-catering chalets, there's one in Les Bois (but I've seen it, it's almost in Les Praz) which looks very smart and sleeps 16.

Also the tourist office are very good, they seem to have made a proper pigs ear of the online reservation but if you call/email with what you're looking for they are generally very helpful.

Les Praz is very pretty, close to Flegere which I think is the best place in Chamonix for mixed ability groups - there are so many different ways back down, plus La Trappe has two lovely scenic greens for novices. Plus the more adventurous can go over to Brevent and back.

The bars are pretty quiet - There are a couple on the main street, the Rhododendrons has a nice terrrace if the weather's good(inside's nothing special), the bar at the Eden is nice for pre-dinner drinks.
http://www.hoteleden-chamonix.com/

If you like a more lively apres (which I do!), the MBC is one of the best bars in Chamonix and is on the right side of town for the walk.
http://www.mbchx.com/
You don't have to go by the river (in fact I wouldn't recommend it at all if you intend to get plastered) you can walk down the Chemin Des Cristalliers, it's lit most of the way.

There are some good restaurants though - the Eden (I reckon this is one of the top restaurants in Chamonix), Le Sarpe - another good one, more trad than the Eden, and I really like the little pizza place on the road into Les Praz (cremerie du moulin, does takeaway too) - if there's eighteen of you, you'll fill it, so best to book Smile

Also the Excelsior in Les Tines, very close, seems to have really bucked its ideas up lately and the menu looks amazing. The other biggie in Les Praz is the golf club restaurant which I've never tried but it's supposed to be very good.
http://www.restaurant-cabane.com/

The little shop is fine for basics. Also she rents raclette sets in case your accomodation doesn't come with one (quelle horreur!). She does good saucisson too.
With eighteen, I'd make the trip down to Sallanches anyway (about 30 mins) and have a massive booze and food stockup in the Carrefour there, you'd save a lot of money over getting it all in Chamonix. You can do this on the way there if you've got room and can face it after the drive.

The train from Les Praz station is a really good way of getting to Les Grands Montets or Vallorcine but less so for any of the others as it doesn't stop near the lifts - get the buses for the rest of the areas. Pick up a few timetables for bus / train at the tourist office, it's very handy to have several between you.

The only place that really isn't convenient to get to by public transport is Les Houches - the train's the best bet but it's quite a walk from Les Houches train station to the lifts, you really wouldn't want to do it in ski boots.

So I'd say it does tick those boxes, with the caveat that it's not nightlife central (though I guess I would say that wouldn't I!)

hope this helps Very Happy

If there's anything at all else you'd like to know that I can help with, please ask! I'm just putting together some info about Les Praz at the moment for the site, so it's really useful to see what people want to know. Smile

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 22-05-07 19:46; edited 3 times in total
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Annie, if you're reliant on public transport, then I definitely agree with firebug that you are probably best going for Les Praz, and just be prepared to make a bit more effort in the evenings if you want to lively up yourself. And after all, any Chamonix resident/ owner is likely to be far more clued up than me! And the skiing really is somethng else.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rainman, "There's a large hotel/ appt complex with a very soulless bar" - do you mean the Hapimag place? Does it have a bar? I never knew that - Blimey, I bet it IS pretty soulless!

I've seen David Murdoch's apartments from the outside, they look lovely and they're in a good spot close to Brevent (I think?)
*lurks in the rhododendrons

Oh one other thing - I always get a pop-eyed reception when I say Les Grands Montets is not a bad place for mixed ability groups - but it is really quite good. There's a network of nice blues (some of which are closer to reds), and those that fancy it can do the tough stuff, with everyone meeting for the breaks. In fact my ten year old niece had her third day's skiing ever there, sticking to the Marmottons lift, and she had a great time.

The park was great fun this year too, and even the scenery is exhilarating!

The Cremerie Du Glacier( just off skier's right on the base of the home run) is one of Chamonix's very few really good slopeside restaurants (Les Houches has more good ones)

It really is worth getting a guide for a day as the lift-accessed off-piste is spectacularly beautiful but you need someone who knows the terrain because of the crevasses etc.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Tue 22-05-07 12:34; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
firebug, yes, Hapimag's the one. Used to have a small shop as well, but that's closed. Last year, the bar was ok for a quick early evening drink (do you sense a theme, here?!) if a little lacking in atmosphere, but this year they've managed to make it even more soulless, if that were possible. In fact, you now have to sit in what can only be described as Crossroads Motel reception area (1981 vintage) drinking overpriced Dutch lager. Needless to say, we only managed one drink...much better served by making the longer trip into town.

That's a hell of a chalet you've got there!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks! It's lovely isn't it? Very Happy I wish I was there now
*pines
Hoping to go over in a couple of weeks time (hurray!) and take some more pics as the ones we have now don't show the renovations....

Hapimag bar sounds awesome. Might have to go check it out when we next go over!
The bar at Les Lanchers hotel can be a bit livelier, and the little one opposite - Le Pcheu - is OK for a few as well. Actually Le Pcheu would be a really nice little bar if it didn't have the fluorescent striplighting :/ What were they thinking?
snow report
firebug,
Quote:

That's a hell of a chalet you've got there!

Not half! I've just bookmarked your website! (I LOVE Chamonix etc.)
ski holidays
Thanks Hurtle, Very Happy Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy