Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

USA/Can resort Recommendations for Christmas/New year 07/08 please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have finally been given the go ahead to plan our 07/08 Ski trip, and this year we would like to go to America/Canada, but as we only have experience of Austria, I would appreciate any recommendations from others who have been (I have heard that some resorts can be very very cold, which while I don't mind the cold, I don't fancy -40 either, (the missus really does feel the cold, and if she has a miserable time on the slopes, so will I, there will also be a high likelyhood of it being my last ski trip).

We intend to Ski, are not particularly good as yet, but are working on it, and are looking for a confidence building trip, Ski school will be involved, this will be our fourth trip.

Also if you could recommend a travel agent, or advise on the booking process, that would also be appreciated.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
lenniem, my thoughts would be (by region):
Whistler BC
Breckenridge/Vail/Aspen CO
Big Sky MT
Snowbird/Canyons UT
Squaw Valley CA

I'd strongly recommend Ski Independence who are good value and provide a great service.
Whistler will be the most like a European resort, and of the list, Snowbird is probably the least like one.

What time of year were you thinking of going, for how long, and how many in your party?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
lenniem, ski independance are a good place to start for north american ski holidays they usally have good early booking deals, going at xmas time the temps should not be to bad, and from my experience all north american ski schools are of a good standard, the main thing to look out for is the snow reliability at xmas . lake louise would be my recommendation
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
For fourth weeker, I would recommend resorts in Colorado. Summit county (Breckenridge, Keystone) or Vail/Beaver Creek. It also has relatively good snow record for early season.

Many of Utah's resort (Snowbird/Alta) are better suited for strong intermediate to advance skiers (though Deer Valley and maybe other Park City resorts are ok). So is Squaw Valley. For the Tahoe area, Heavenly is a much more beginer/lower-intermediate friendly resort than Squaw Vellay, and the view is equally spetacular. Unfortunatly, it'll be close to a mob scence during X'mas time.

On second thought, South Tahoe might be a good candidate. If Heavenly got too busy for your taste, you should be able to find some peace and quiet in the "other" resort nearby such as Sierra Ski Ranch. And aside from the serious off-piste powder hound, the snow quality in the Sierra are just as pleasant as those in the Rockies. The only drawback I can see for going to Tahoe is a somewhat longer transfer time. But for a weeklong trip, a few extra hours transfer shouldn't be a big issue.

Don't be deterred by last season's draught. It's very much an abnormality. For most of the years I can remember, the resorts in the Rockies and Sierra are usually blanketed by snow by X'mas time.

I've not skied in the Canadian Rockies so I really don't know much about the infamous cold people are talking about. For all my trips to Colorado and California, found the temperature just fine for skiing.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Everywhere in North America will be freezing at that time of year. The wind whips down off the Canadian Arctic.

Wait until Mar, when it warms up.

Then go to Whistler, Aspen, Vail, Breckenridge or Snowbird.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Freezing = good = snow not melting. snowHead

Am I going blind, cause I don't see where lenniem said he was going at Christmas.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
Am I going blind, cause I don't see where lenniem said he was going at Christmas.

No, you're just very detail-oriented! Wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
abc wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:

No, you're just very detail-oriented! Wink

Sometimes I'm a bit of a head-the-ball...

D'oh! Laughing snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
OK, following on from my stupidity, I thought I should get some facts...

Average Alpine Temperature for Whistler
December - February
Low: -12°C
High: -5°C

Whistler Village Temperature:
January high -2°C low -8°C
December high -1°C low -5°C
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Average monthly temps at resort level in January:

Vail: -3C high, -17C low
Snowbird: +4C high, -6C low
Canyons: +3C, -12C
Aspen: +2C, -14C
Breckenridge: -1C, -18C
Squaw Valley: +4C, -7C
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As a rule of thumb:

If you want a greater likelihood of sunny weather, stay further away from the Pacific Ocean: Alberta, Colorado or Utah. (But avoid Snowbird/Alta/Solitude/Brighton, because of lake-effect storms).

If you want a greater likelihood of snowstorms and bad weather (and waist-deep powder Very Happy ), head for the coast: British Columbia, California or Washington state.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 21-05-07 20:36; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I am off to JH again for this xmas and there is intermediate skiing there too. But may be better saved for later in your skiing career.

In your shoes I might think Vail, Aspen where there are more trees. Not Breck or summit county which are higher and more exposed. Having lived in Canada - I would wait till february before heading there.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy