Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Zealand's tightest couloir?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Couloirs vary from winter to winter - rarely easy, sometimes unskiable, sometimes just wide and soft enough to be tempting.

This one, currently open for business at Ohau in the Mount Cook ski area of New Zealand, looks to be about 2 skis wide.

The man on the rock to the right has got his thumb up, but he's not the one about to ski it!

The photo's by Billy, and it's on the www.snow.co.nz site. There's a zoom button at bottom right if you want to make the couloir a bit less mean.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The way in doesn't look too bad. Soft snow, and judging by the ski marks, at least 2 skis wide. Probably an illusion, but it doesn't even look that steep. (Just shows you never want to go skiing with me until I've got some new glasses.) The bit that worries me is the exit. It looks like it gets real narrow and then ends in a sheer drop. I wonder if the parallel ski marks in the foreground are not someone going down, but someone climbing back up after a near-death experience.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Jonpim wrote:
... I wonder if the parallel ski marks in the foreground are not someone going down, but someone climbing back up after a near-death experience.

Possibly. Welcome back to the wild side, BTW.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Now you see, what bothers me with runs like this is what's waiting for me out of sight Skullie
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hmm, not sure its that bad^. Twisted Evil

if you look at the way the right hand wall has increased sunlight on the lower half, its pretty likely that you can escape to the skiers left once through the chute, as for the light to get to it, the area must be more open

The angle is much steeper than the picture implies though, too. Its been shot with the camera pointing down the fall-line to a fair degree, making it look shallower - its not probly time for new glasses just yet! Very Happy

still all the same its a certain 'leap of faith' type of a run - you had better be on top of your game when you - or, if you - do it.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
or, how about this variation on the other side of the valley? snowHead Cool Shocked Twisted Evil
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
hmm... didnt work.

try this
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
JonL, you'd ski that?? You bonkers. Why go over the nasty rock and not down the nice snowy bit?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
JonL, u are nuts Wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
yeah, but in that case then why bother going off piste? if you want something more interesting, you go find it. otherwise you stay on the piste.

also, its not definite that i'd do it. just looked like a nice interesting line from a piccy taken from the other side of the valley! Wink Twisted Evil
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bleudy Ell, if Dan thinks you are nuts (and he's pretty nutty) then your line must be suicidal. I'm all for excitement, but no point unless you can boast about it in the bar afterwards.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
well, from this pic the chute doesnt look to be any tighter than the one the photo is of. maybe a bit longer, but thats about it.

the rest of the line is crossing relatively open bowls which already have tracks on them, so it surely cant be that extreme....can it?

would obviously be very dependent on the area of headwall above being safe, but the rest of the line doesnt seem that bad to me - commitment needed, but otherwise okay.....
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy