Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Making use of "boring" terrain

Poster: A snowHead
OK to kick off a constructive thread:

Any offers of 3 top technique tips for mildish terrain that we might be inclined to just blast as fast as possible - cattracks, runouts to lifts, boring commuter pistes? Lets assume carving is impractical due to other piste users and narrowness?

Please bear in mind the need to keep up a modicum of speed and not be seen to be excessively "titting about" as its higly embarassing & poor form in crowded areas?

One footed gliding?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Rolling the ankles in the boots, not using any other joint or steering. Work up to a maximum roll and increase the speed of roll as the terain gets steeper. Little speed is scrubbed off if done properly as there should be no skidding.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I do the "ankle-rolling" as well after advice at the EoSB
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
fatbob, on cat tracks when following the kids at really slow speed I try to do proper carved turns. It's really like V8's mantra as you have to start with your ankles and work up to you knees than hips.

So I'm always on both edges and trying to keep my center go gravity over the skis - as there's precious few other forces working to hold you up. - you have to keep concentrating, although I'm always impressed how much you can actually turn.

Then there's one footed skiing or spinning round as you head in a straight line down the hill.

If I tried to avoid titting around I'd never click in on a morning. Sad
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
3 turns on one foot. 3 turns on the other one. Only on foot on the ground at any one time. Loose points for dragging (leaning on) yer sticks.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm frequently found on one leg on these sorts of terrain, more of a trick than a technique I think but something that puts a smile (more of a smirk really) on my face when it works right.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
I've been trying to carve backwards recently, but it requires a relatively quiet and wide piste and I don't go very fast ! Getting a bit better now though and it gives the kids a chance to laugh at me if I fall ...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
On boring terrain and/or a cat track, I use the opportunity to see how well I'm balanced in the fore-aft plane.

It's all too easy to stand on your heels on "easy" terrain, as there are no consequences.

So I make an effort to ensure that I'm on the balls of the feet / the arch of the feet (delete whichever is applicable to your school of thought) - but ensuring that almost zero weight on the heels.

And at all times - contact / a little pressure of the shin against the tongue of the boot.

This is another one of those fundementals. Unless your fore-aft balance is right, there is no use going onto correct other issues without resolving this first!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
definitely one foot on the ground turns on inside and outside edge. Following my 5 year old I also try to do really good, properly edged snowplough turns which are surprisingly difficult to execute for someone of my (intermediate) standard.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
On cat tracks I'm wobbling around trying to ski 1 footed, our otherwise just tilting the ski's to leave clean tracks. They are good places to try and ingrain skiing on the 'same' edge rather than the 'inside' edges of the skis.
snow report
 brian
brian
veeeight wrote:
So I make an effort to ensure that I'm on the balls of the feet / the arch of the feet (delete whichever is applicable to your school of thought) - but ensuring that almost zero weight on the heels.

The one legged stuff is great for this. It's virtually impossible to turn on one leg if your balance isn't in the right place.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Theres always the ol' lying flat on your back whilst skiing and trying to ski between your mates legs...

Alternatively i like leaning back as far as i can and trying to bend my tips off the ground whilst skiing along. Good craic.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
shuffle your feet back and forth while making turns
skating downhill but in control of speed and line
while one footed skiing swing the lifted ski tip left and right across the grounded ski (tough to do when carving on inside edge one footed)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
extra super wide carves- 3x hip width
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
What does this mean - "carving a full turn (on say 20m nominal radius skis) within at most a 2m width?
ski holidays
midgets and giants drill - extending up as far as you can and flexing down as low as you can
Breathing - inhale on extension, exhale on flex
snow report
fatbob wrote:
What does this mean - "carving a full turn (on say 20m nominal radius skis) within at most a 2m width?

I didn't quite get this either, but then our tracks are narrow in LDA - perhaps he has wider tracks. Frosty's idea is my usual one, but all the others that have been suggested are good too. Basically any old game that pops into your head is normally good. Very Happy that's why I hate the word "drills" because any exercise you do is valid (not always helpful of course), but the word drill, apart from being an army word, just suggest something much too rigid like the Trooping of the Colour! rolling eyes
snow report
Edge-rolls, ski fore, ski aft, bounce, step, shuffle, 1000 steps, start fore finish aft, start aft finish fore, play with turn degree to falline, very slow ILE transitions, fast ILE tranistions, mixing up ILE transistions, javelin turns, spins, hops, lift ski tail/tip, move hands around, play with poles, tuck-rolls, boots undone, etc etc etc
snow conditions
Quote:

ILE transitions
???????? never heard of that one
ski holidays
Drop down and edge..almost a one legged turn in that the weight is 90% plus on one ski but not obvious you are skiing one footed...which makes you look like a dick. Drive the turn from the knee. If you can turn the ski almost to 180...or a very exaggerated S, in a short lenght of the track, then you are doing well.

Normally though, the race is on to blat the track and you can't do this as you will be too slow. Maybe we need to set aside practice time
ski holidays
skimottaret wrote:
Quote:

ILE transitions

Inside Leg Extension Laughing
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skimottaret wrote:
Quote:

ILE transitions

Inside Leg Extension

The short version... this is a type of transition in which you start the transition before the finish of the old turn... start by adding just enough extension to the INSIDE (of that old turn) leg to feel the skis outside edge a tad more... Once you feel that BE PATIENT ... you will then notice that foot start to roll to its big toe edge.... as this happens start to relax the other leg while extending that leg further.... and YOU HAVE TURNED... rate of extension/flexion changes rate of transition...

This give a very CONNECTED turn transition without the "float" of an Outside Leg Retraction turn...

Ask Fastman for the fancy description... (I only get how it feels)
latest report
little tiger wrote:
fore, play

Best to be a bit discreet though.
snow report
little tiger wrote:
Edge-rolls, ski fore, ski aft, bounce, step, shuffle, 1000 steps, start fore finish aft, start aft finish fore, play with turn degree to falline, very slow ILE transitions, fast ILE tranistions, mixing up ILE transistions, javelin turns, spins, hops, lift ski tail/tip, move hands around, play with poles, tuck-rolls, boots undone, etc etc etc

What an excellent student you are! snowHead too

Some very good ones in there Bob. Most you should be able to do ACLless. Watch the javelins, spins, hops.
ski holidays
laundryman, they have trees on mountain for a reason Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
What's ILE, please?
snow report
see below

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 17-05-07 22:05; edited 1 time in total
snow report
ILE - Inside Leg Extension

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 17-05-07 22:04; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
little tiger, pretty much has it. ILE is a fantastic transition technique for arc to arc carved turns. Assuming you have dominant pressure on your outside ski as you're making a turn; when you're ready to end that turn and transition into a new turn, push down gently on you inside foot. Pressure will shift there, your balance will be temporarily disrupted, and you will automatically begin to tip into the new turn. Very simple and efficient. The aggression with which you push down on the inside foot determins the rate at which you will tip into the new turn.

With ILE the old inside ski (inside ski of the prior turn) remains pressured through the entire process of tipping from its outside edge, to flat, and then to it's inside edge, where it engages and begins the new turn. This provides an extremely keen feel for the initiation of the new turn. The result is a highly clean initiation of the new turn. It's a feeling you need to experience to understand and appreciate. Such a sense of continuous connection to the snow it provides.
ski holidays
FastMan wrote:
... you will automatically begin to tip into the new turn...

Why will you aitomatically tip into the new turn? If you apply pressure to the inside edge of your inside ski by extending your inner leg won't you just ride that edge around the same arc? What initiates the cross-over onto the new edge?

Yours, etc

Confused of Hampton.
snow report
Never been on any boring terrain.

Now the three weeks in the office since the EOSB however...
ski holidays
Jerry, Laughing Laughing How true
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
FastMan wrote:

Why will you aitomatically tip into the new turn? If you apply pressure to the inside edge of your inside ski by extending your inner leg won't you just ride that edge around the same arc? What initiates the cross-over onto the new edge?

Yours, etc

Confused of Hampton.

rob - you create a state of imbalance... you don't shift your balance on to that ski... but apply pressure..
Also note that as you pressure a supinated foot it tends to drive it into pronation
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
FastMan wrote:

Yours, etc

Confused of Hampton.

Hi rob@rar. You will tip as long as you don't move your hips uphill as you press down on your inside foot. You must move your hips uphill if you want to remain balanced on the inside skis uphill edge.

Want to feel what I'm talking about? Stand up with feet hip width apart, and equal weight on each foot. Now, without moving your hips to the left, push down gently on your left foot. Because you just disrupted your balance, you will begin to tip to the right. Same thing happens during an ILE transition on skis.
snow report
FastMan wrote:
Hi rob@rar. You will tip as long as you don't move your hips uphill as you press down on your inside foot. You must move your hips uphill if you want to remain balanced on the inside skis uphill edge.

OK, I think I understand that. Something to play with the next time I'm on snow.

Yours, etc

Not So Confused of Hampton
latest report
FastMan,
Quote:

with feet hip width apart

This indeed works. Must your skis also be hip width apart for it to work on snow?
latest report
Is ILE the same as stomping hard on your inside foot then? How does it differ from a rugby (or basketball) sidestep? Would Jason Robinson be a natural even if he's never been on skis?
latest report
FastMan,
Quote:

Some very good ones in there Bob

do you have any other gems you can share in addition to the ILE exercise (which i like the sound of)
snow report
One i just thought of that i really like because it helps me tremendously is to put your arms behind your back with poles sticking upwards and hands crossed over as far you you can. this helps me to get the pelvis forward and initiates better inside hip crossover.
snow conditions
skimottaret,
Quote:

inside hip crossover

Puzzled Puzzled
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy