Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Permanent ice fields are resisting global warming

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:
The small ice caps of Mont Blanc and the Dôme du Goûter are not melting, or at least, not yet. This is what CNRS researchers have announced in the Journal of Geophysical Research. At very high altitudes (above 4200 meters), the accumulation of snow and ice has varied very little since the beginning of the 20th century. But if summer temperatures increase by a few degrees during the 21st century, the melt could become more marked, and could affect the "permanent" ice fields.

http://www.physorg.com/news98538735.html
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
So if we call a glacier an ice field then there will be no global warming problem to worry about. Brilliant!

I can then proceed to book my next season's skiing holiday while the going is good.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
presumably at that elevation the size of an ice cap/field/glacier is determined more by precipitation levels than small variations in temperature
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
its climate change not global warming
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The world has been heating up for the past 15k years. Since the end of the Ice Age. It is going to get warmer.

Those ice fields will eventually melt, probably some time before the 23rd century.

Then they will return during the next Ice Age.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
CANV CANVINGTON, it's called climate change but the central premise is still global warming
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Whitegold, I totally agree
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
...after the gulf stream gets f**ked up because of global warming and we're plunged into the next ice age
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Whitegold, welcome back! rolling eyes

I can't wait until howling mad Murdoch sees this thread. Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
bh1 wrote:
Whitegold, welcome back! rolling eyes

I can't wait until howling mad Murdoch sees this thread. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Thanks, bh1.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Whitegold, prove it - you weren't around 15k years ago, nor was there accurate temperature measurement then, all you are basing your theory on is extrapolation of data based on models. Models are not facts. Temperature change in the last 30 years is greater than it has been in the last 300 (notice I have chosen time spans during which thermometric measurements have actually been recorded, not guessed at). If a glacier has melted at a considerably faster rate in the last 20 years than in the previous 20, does that tell us something, or is "Mother Nature" rolling eyes just keeping on going, with no change brought about by human influence?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
Whitegold, prove it - you weren't around 15k years ago, nor was there accurate temperature measurement then, all you are basing your theory on is extrapolation of data based on models. Models are not facts. Temperature change in the last 30 years is greater than it has been in the last 300 (notice I have chosen time spans during which thermometric measurements have actually been recorded, not guessed at). If a glacier has melted at a considerably faster rate in the last 20 years than in the previous 20, does that tell us something, or is "Mother Nature" rolling eyes just keeping on going, with no change brought about by human influence?

You cannot seriously be suggesting there was no Ice Age Laughing

The tangible geological, paleontological and chemical evidence is almost overwhelming.

There have been up to 4 Ice Ages over the past billion years or so. The most recent one ended about 10 - 15k years ago.

The Earth's climate goes in cycles. It cools down a bit. It warms up a bit.

Right now, we are heating up. I look forward to getting a wicked tan.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You still don't know how to construct a paragraph Whitegold . snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wear The Fox Hat,

Presumably you can support your statement

Quote:
a glacier has melted at a considerably faster rate in the last 20 years than in the previous 20

with with the recorded cubic metres of water melted each year, so that there is no extrapolation involved.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Also, as the volume of ice gets smaller, the rate of melting increases anyway...
ski holidays
bh1, qui? You aren't talking about me are you? Happy
ski holidays
Whitegold wrote:
The world has been heating up for the past 15k years. Since the end of the Ice Age. It is going to get warmer.

Those ice fields will eventually melt, probably some time before the 23rd century.

Then they will return during the next Ice Age.

Agree 100%

Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
If a glacier has melted at a considerably faster rate in the last 20 years than in the previous 20, does that tell us something, or is "Mother Nature" rolling eyes just keeping on going, with no change brought about by human influence?

The last remains of a glacier will allways appear to melt alot quicker. Its like watching the last water go down drain.
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:

Could be that an imperceptible part of climate change, that is going on anyway, is attributable to man? Seems a bit steep to go from saying that the small percentage of CO2 increase attributable to man so far is responsible for the major changes that have occurred.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy