Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

edging

Poster: A snowHead
little tiger wrote:
CEM,

So you would agree then that a boot that LOCKS the foot from its natural movement (pronation/supination) is a poor boot?

no, remember the biomechanics of evry person is different, there are people who ski around perfectly well in boots too big...the foot cannot be locked , there are other people who hyper analyse every movement, the slightest skin over bone movement feels like the boot is too big and they want more hold.

the idea of a ski boot is to support the foot, not lock it, to lock the foot completely during the forces involved in skiing you would probably have to replace the liner with concrete Shocked the foot has 3 movements that make up pronation dorsiflexion, eversion and abduction if you block ALL three then the foot would be locked, but to do this we are back to the concrete or a boot so tight you would last a couple of turns

as soon as any of the motions mentioned take place then there is an amount of pronation present, the idea of the footbed is to give the foot a 3 dimensional base to work against..

the real question is how much pronation is too little , just enough or too much??? i guess this is down to personal choice and technique / tutition
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wear The Fox Hat, All the time. I watch them for the morning, try a few things, then at lunchtime, make them take their boot off, and check them over, and then fish out their footbeds, put them on the table, point, and proclaim "You had these made at the London Ski Show, didn't you "!!

At which point they think there's witchcraft involved..... Laughing Laughing Laughing

One lady this season I sent straight down the mountain to the bootfitters after skiing with her for 20 mins - with specific instructions to the bootfitter for cuff alignment - she came back and her skiing was transformed. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
little tiger, we are back to your personal experiences with bootfitters, Pronation is a motion we require ...OVER pronation =BAD
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
CEM, I have a hard time trying to convey that a ski boot is designed to RESTRICT some movements, not to ELIMINATE all movement. Many folk get it in their head that the tighter the better, they try and completely lock out all movement.

Bring back ankle high leather boots. How did they ever ski then? Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
veeeight, you mean like the lady who walked in to the Zoo in Chamonix when I was there, and after measuring her foot, and comparing it to her boot, I heard one of the trainee zookeepers ask her which branch of a certain UK chain store known for ski and climbing gear that the boots had been purchased as they were the standard 2 sizes too big.

Do you ever work with alignment when with students? - such as doing standard drills, or trying different card lifters under the boots to see what difference they make?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Do you ever work with alignment when with students? - such as doing standard drills, or trying different card lifters under the boots to see what difference they make?

If I know I'm going to get the students back the next day, I normally send them to 1 of 3 bootfitters I know that evening, they normally return the next day with removeable shims so that I can assess with and without. I have a good working relationship with certain guys in the village whom I send clients to, they know their onions.

Same day students - there is a limited amount I can do (trail maps are a good favorite) but I do tell them that they have an issue with their boots and advise that they get them checked out.

Alignment is yet another huge can of worms, with differing schools of thought on how you correct something. But it's something that my particular dept. (Supergroups) is shit hot on as most of us are bio mechanical geeks. But as instructors we're a little hesitant to play around too much on the hill what with liability etc. so we tend to leave the mods (planing etc.) to the bootfitters.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
veeeight, thanks - good to hear.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
CEM wrote:

the idea of a ski boot is to support the foot, not lock it, to lock the foot completely during the forces involved in skiing you would probably have to replace the liner with concrete Shocked the foot has 3 movements that make up pronation dorsiflexion, eversion and abduction if you block ALL three then the foot would be locked, but to do this we are back to the concrete or a boot so tight you would last a couple of turns

ah good so we agree the foot CAN move in this manner in a properly fitted ski boot...

Hence the idea that it is "impossible" is not so likely... although a certain range of motion may be blocked in some way?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
LT, Lol! Don't back the guy into a corner Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
veeeight,

well when people have been saying I cannot initiate a turn with the ankles because they cannot move in a boot!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Great discussion, gang. CEM, I like you're take on this topic. Good to see a boot fitters who understand the importance of allowing the foot to function as God or evolution (which ever suits you) has designed it to. I like your concrete liner analogy, and often use a similar one myself. I also talk about the importance of the foot having room for expansion inside the boot,,, as weight is applied to the foot and the trusses spread and provide a tensioned platform from which we derive balance. I've seen too many so called "boot fitters" who try to jam a foot into a downsized boot, without taking this bio-mechanical reality into consideration, and in essence send the skier out the door with that concrete fit you eluded to. The skier is left with the challenge of trying to balance while teetering on virtual stubs.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Are you familiar with the "Birdcage" boot experiments David MacPhail did with Steve Podborski a few years back? He documented some interesting results on this very subject.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yes, I wish I could read the relevant articles, but as I'm not an EpicSki supporter I can't get into that section Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
veeeight,

at one point when david first appeared at epic and was told he had no idea what he was talking about, I found published papers of his... I am not sure where or how i did that now... just that they were there complete with birdcage pictures...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
little tiger, the question is not if they can move inside the boot but whether if well-fitted whatever movement the "ankles" themselves make will move the boot itself, thus having an effect on edge angle, independent of the rest of the lower limb. No-one I've yet read has argued that there'd be no movement such that you couldn't initiate a very shallow turn.
snow report
FastMan, can't seem to find much info on the birdcage experiments, i have heard of them but...

if you have any info it would be good if you could e-mail it to me, contact details on the link below Little Angel Little Angel
snow report
veeeight, i think alot of the problems with people over tightening boots comes down to the fitting in the first place, if the boot has too much volume then the only way to restrict movement is to overtighten, there comes a point when the overtightening stops all movement....just what the skier appears to want, at this point the shell geometry of the boot is so altered that it is no longer flexing as it was designed.

with more and more modified plug boots in softer flex being produced then the possiblilty of having a more foot shaped boot improves, by bringing the foot closer to the shell and modifying to accomodate boney prominances then we enter a whole new arena.

as they say .....things can only get better Toofy Grin
snow report
CEM, I know you'll probably agree with this (given your job!), but for the instructors, should the bootwork (I'm using a general term to cover a wide variety of things which may include on-slope experimentation and shop based tweaking) be part and parcel of teaching?
If it should, is it seperate to teaching skills, or integrated with the skill learning?
latest report
Wear The Fox Hat, we get a lot of refferals from instructors wanting tweaks doing to clients boots after they have had a lesson,

i think the secret is having an instructor and a fitter that understand the biomechanics of skiing, the ideal situation id for clients to take a week of tutition and have modifications made as the week progresses, the only issue with this is that most brits for example take a couple of weeks of lessons then they can ski, so they never take another lesson in their skiing career rolling eyes rolling eyes

what would be useful is if ALL instructors had an understanding of boots and skis as part of their courses, many do, but IME there a a great deal more who have not got a clue Shocked
snow report
CEM wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat, we get a lot of refferals from instructors wanting tweaks doing to clients boots after they have had a lesson,

You mean like having clients walking in and asking you to put Disney plates on the toes of their boots?
snow report
Quote:

but IME there a a great deal more who have not got a clue

Laughing Laughing So true. I'm sure you know plenty of instructors that just order off the BASI deal for example Laughing

WTFH, it runs deeper than that. I think that the general knowledge of instructors wrt. equipment, how this interacts, selection of skis, binding mounting positions, etc. etc. is sadly lacking. I was having this very discussion the other day with a former technical editor of SkiCanada, and how we could start to progress a much more holistic approach to ski teaching and instructing. It should include all the elements, which play a very large part.

Reading the above about tight boots reminded me of something someone else once said when we were talking about the fundementals of skiing, which of course, is balance balance balance: "There is a widely held belief in the ski industry that the purpose of the ski boot is to clamp about the leg as tightly as possible in order to turn it into a big lever with which to "transfer energy to the ski" (Question: What does energy transfer have to with balance??). Foot function does not seem to matter."
ski holidays
I struggle and am amazed how little our Instructors here in Cham, understand the function of feet and ski boots. That said we do work very closely with a chosen few. However, those i work with and understand our job wouldn't dream of sending me clients with 'Their' idea of what needed to be done. If i had a client come by with their ski instructor, whom asked me to Align cuff left, 1.5degrees laterally and cuff right 2degrees i wouldn't do it. First the foot itself needs to be analysed and supported correctly and then we can take measurements as to correct cuff alignment/canting/balancing this is something i trust myself to do(it's my job) and not an Instructor. The synergy requires a mutual respect, any instructor that sends a Bootfitter instructons is misunderstanding the role of the Bootfitter/doesn't trust their Bootfitter or has a Duff Bootfitter.

As for the 'Movement' in a ski boot question, it is a ridgid structure it is designed to restrict excessive motion and transfer energy quickly and precisely. You and only you know whether what you have works or doesn't work. The Key in these circumstances is not balance balance balance, its communication communication communication. An open and clear dialogue with both your; Bootfitter and Instructor is the quickest route to sucsess. Make sure the instructor knows where their role starts and finishes and that there is a clear line of communication between Bootfitter and Coach. Little Angel
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
However, those i work with and understand our job wouldn't dream of sending me clients with 'Their' idea of what needed to be done. If i had a client come by with their ski instructor, whom asked me to Align cuff left, 1.5degrees laterally and cuff right 2degrees i wouldn't do it. First the foot itself needs to be analysed and supported correctly and then we can take measurements as to correct cuff alignment/canting/balancing this is something i trust myself to do(it's my job) and not an Instructor. The synergy requires a mutual respect, any instructor that sends a Bootfitter instructons is misunderstanding the role of the Bootfitter/doesn't trust their Bootfitter or has a Duff Bootfitter.

... An open and clear dialogue with both your; Bootfitter and Instructor is the quickest route to sucsess. Make sure the instructor knows where their role starts and finishes and that there is a clear line of communication between Bootfitter and Coach. Little Angel

Good comments.
I mentioned Bud Heismann in another thread (where CEM was wanting to build a pie juggler). Bud is an instructor and bootfitter (but spends most of his time bootfitting)
One of the things he likes to do is ski with a client and take some video while doing various balance/alignment drills. He'll then try some tests on the hill with shims, again more video, more drills, and feedback from the client. Then when an agreement has been reached on what needs to be done, they come off the hill, and the work gets done that evening.
(sorry to name drop, but I think he does a good job, although it might not be right for everyone)
ski holidays
A lot of this discussion is related to very fine adjustments on boots and perfectly reflecting the needs of the foot that is in it. How much of this sort of material is relevant to everyone and how much really only comes into play at the top end of skiing? I can see that at the really top end or those more expert skiers every change in a boot is probably felt, but for beginners, providing that we have 'average' foot (not really the right term, but I think you'll know what I mean), and a relatively well fitted boot that allows us to apply our basic lessons and develop basic technique in such a way that we come of the slope after a day without being crippled by our boots, how much of this is relevant?
snow conditions
Megamum, Anyone who skis and has feet, requires proper bootfitting. As well as understanding the need of your skiing(this is where dialogue between client/intructor/bootfitter is important), understanding the function of your feet it vital. Keeping your foot in neutral is the the most important part of your ski setup, from here we are then able to measure other defects/irregulatities, and then adjust using the appropriate tools. The fit and boot selection is the second step. Little Angel
snow conditions
Megamum, I'd say that it makes a difference to top end skiers, and the rest of us. How big a difference based on your current abilty is maybe questionable, but if the boots aren't right, they may well be holding you back from advancing as quickly.
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, i should clarify my above comment regardsing instructors refering clients for tweaks on boots..... the normal line is my instructor thinks there is something not right with my boots what can you do to help Very Happy i don't get many who tell me what to do for the client

i did have one instructor recently who arrived stating that he needed the cuff of his boot aligned better, and how he felt this and that [you know the life story bit] he was skiing with the liners in the wrong shells rolling eyes rolling eyes the off the peg footbeds that he bought on line were in the correct shells but under the liners...which is where he thought they were meant to go rolling eyes rolling eyes Shocked Shocked
latest report
CEM, Shocked Shocked

I meet a lot of clients who think they should have their boots as tight as possible. they just think that's what you're supposed to do. Once they loosen them up a tad they find an enormous difference. Seems to be one of those "old wives tales". rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
easiski, I fell for that for quite a while.
snow report
easiski, firm handshake is the kind of hold i am looking for, not a strangle hold from a mass murderer Toofy Grin
ski holidays
easiski wrote:
Once they loosen them up a tad they find an enormous difference.

For example, me! Embarassed
ski holidays
i should add that it takes a little while to achieve this, the first few days in a new boot are not the time to be experimenting, let the liners settle down and the boot bed in
latest report
CEM wrote:
i should add that it takes a little while to achieve this, the first few days in a new boot are not the time to be experimenting, let the liners settle down and the boot bed in

Since getting the zipfits I've found that I can undo the clips a little bit, especially the top two, with feeling like I'm about to fall out of my boots. It was during a lesson with easiski at the EoSB that i really loosed the top two clips and found that I could work with (in?) the boots much more than I usually could.
snow conditions
easiski, I agree - I wonder if it falls into one of those "ski length=hands above head" perceived understandings except it's taken way longer to die out?

although...

I have yet to visit the zoo and so still have residual pains if I don't break my feet in gently every day. So I start off loosely clipped. If I'm pootling around - I often get to lunch loosely clipped. In January, pootling around, I often get to the end of the day without adjustment: in April less so.

However, if I want to get a bit more aggressive, I need to tighten up. And I don't agree with comments from the fitters at profeet who, while otherwise excellent, prescribed softer boots without ever seeing me ski (no, I wasn't tempted). It's just not true!

I think CEM's "firm handshake" is what I generally seek, with a masonic one for gnarly bits.

I thought this thread was about edging?
snow report
David Murdoch,

Quote:

I thought this thread was about edging?

it is, just in a round about kind of 7 page long way Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Quote:

You mean like having clients walking in and asking you to put Disney plates on the toes of their boots?

Excuse my ignorance, WTFH - what are Disney plates?? rolling eyes
ski holidays
Blade, there is a long running debate re the balance of ski boots both lateral and fore aft, a certain bootfitter on here thinks the septics on the site use disney terms to describe it..... the disney plates in question here are a riser plate fitted to the boot but only under the toes to alter the fore aft balance of the boot Little Angel

hope that makes sence Toofy Grin

and BTW it is not WTFH

it is WTF are disney plates Toofy Grin

the fitter in querstion does the same things, just in europe / uk we use some different terminology to describe so of it
latest report
I have 5mm Disney plates under both heel and toe.... wink
snow report
veeeight, Laughing Laughing
snow report
veeeight, 2 short legs?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy