Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Completely pointless poll on ski make

Most popular skis
Atomic
23%
 23%  [ 16 ]
Dynastar
5%
 5%  [ 4 ]
Fischer
8%
 8%  [ 6 ]
Head
5%
 5%  [ 4 ]
K2
7%
 7%  [ 5 ]
Rossignol
15%
 15%  [ 11 ]
Salomon
18%
 18%  [ 13 ]
Volkl
10%
 10%  [ 7 ]
Other
4%
 4%  [ 3 ]
Voted : 12
Total Votes : 69

Poster: A snowHead
Ok, there's no real purpose to this, but I thought it might be fun. What make of skis do people own (or rent most commonly, if you don't own any)? If you own/use more than one pair, which make is the most common?

Apologies for the lack of choices - I tried to enter the majority of makes only to be told I've entered too many poll options!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That's right masopa, test the software to its limit!

I'm just at the point where I'm going to start thinking about which planks I get in the hire shop so I won't vote!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Many years ago I used to be a programmer, so it's nice to try to break someone else's software for a change!

Perhaps the poll will push you towards renting a particular set of skis, Ian?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I get what i'm given in the hire shop Exclamation
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It could well do, masopa, what better place than snowHeads to learn about skis Smile

I program at work, but in general I only have to keep myself and a handful of people happy with the results. Do you forget how to speak to people if you program for a couple of hours, or is that just me? Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
No problems with that MM. Just a hint though - run the back of your fingernail across the edge (ie. thumb perpendicular to the skis - your thumb joint starts off near the base, with the top of your thumb near the top of your ski - drag your thumbnail down towards where your thumb joint is). If no sliver of nail comes off then your edges aren't sharp enough, so demand another set of skis.

It may sound pedantic, but the last thing you want is to hit ice and not have sharp enough edges (one of the most common flaws with hire skis).
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Am I right in thinking you're somewhat involved in physics Ian? If so, I might have to PM you about a couple of things I'm confused about (currently reading a riveting non-fiction book that has taken me back to university days!)

I have problems talking to people at the best of times! The most embarassing computer-related faux pas I ever made was at a previous job. The office was in a block inhabited by a variety of other companies, so we had a code-entry door thingy. My job often involved huge (16+ hr) stints sitting at a computer doing stuff with Excel. The saddest moment was after an all-nighter when I tried to get back into the office and entered the wrong code. I stood there for a couple of seconds trying to press CTRL+Z to undo what I'd just typed...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'll try that next time!
As my skiing is changing so much (hopefully improving!) I can't judge whether its the equipment thats getting better or me!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I guarantee it's you, MM. I have absolutely no evidence to back up that claim, but since I have a theory that skiing is 80% confidence (and 20% luck), telling you that should just progress you further along the curve!

If it's the equipment that's better, then it's simply because your skill is improving and you can get the best out of the equipment now!

Call me an optimist...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The poll is flawed - you can't use multiple choice. (Atomic, Head, K2 & Rossignol)
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Stop it DB. I've already said, just list the most commonly used one!

Or, vote for your favourite - go on, you must have one!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
OK don't use the Atomic 9-18's anymore.
The K2 Axis X are now my rock skis.
The Rossi Bandit XX's I use mainly on piste, but not so often nowadays
........ so it would have to be the Head Mad Trix Mojo, wide skis - deep powder - wide grins Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I really want to understand what I'm doing wrong - I don't enjoy powder. It's not just because of lack of tuition either; I've had a couple of days' tuition on the deep stuff, but I just prefer moguls. Am I strange?

I thought Bandits were supposed to be good off-piste. As for the 9-18s, you could always use them as mogul skis. Or elastic bands. Whichever you prefer...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My brother is going to get the 9-18's.

Bandit X now called B1 - piste
Bandit XX now called B2 - 50/50
Bandit XXX now called B3 - Off Piste

The Bandit XX's are good all rounders but for powder the Mojo's are much more fun,

Moguls are good fun too, but yes you are strange Wink . Just imagine you are skiing moguls in slow motion while skiing powder and you might enjoy the powder more.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yep, physics and as a trained scientist I can make stuff up real well...PM away or email Smile
snow conditions
One mans Rocks ski is another mans pride and joy. I love my axisX.
Even more so now the genius tuning guy at S&R filled all the holes and sharpened em up a treat.
Like brand new again.
Looking to pick up a pair of shorty slaloms, but keep getting outbid on e-bay... Sad
snow report
Hurrah for the Atomics!! .... so far anyway! Toofy Grin
snow report
Mark, I can't recommend my Atomic 10-16s enough. Only problem is (as I've mentioned), it seems impossible to buy them any more! They also made some seriously insane short-radius skis, 9-11s I think (or 9-12s). Mental. Probably no good at speed, but wicked for serious carving.
snow report
I'll keep my eyes open for them masopa.
I'm after the Rossi 9s, Sally 3v, or the Dynastar speed carve. I'm sure I'll find a cheap pair during the summer when I can't use them... Very Happy
ski holidays
In hate powder its too much like hard work. moguls and jumps are good fun and as easy/hard as you want them to be.
Fischers rule!!!!
I want to do physics if you can spend as much time as Ian can on this site and hold down his job as a physics type person it must be a piece of wee wee. Wink
ski holidays
Do I vote for the ones I've got - K2 - or the ones I want - Atomic?
snow report
If you're looking at the likes of the Equipe 3v, then I'm guessing you won't really like the short-radius Atomics. Much softer and forgiving. Seem to recall that WTFH skis on 3vs, although I might be wrong...

I'd stick K2 down HH, just to even things up a bit. Which Atomics are you after?
snow report
Thinking Supercross SX9....planning on trying a pair next week in Alpe D and see what they're like.
snow conditions
DB, Ah yes, but in the first generation there were only two "Bandits" IIRC, the X and the XX.

But I could be wrong.
snow conditions
masopa,
Yeah 3Vs (176) as my piste ski, having just sold my K2 Axis X Pros. Still have the K2 Pistols, oh, and the Fischer Spyders Laughing
ski holidays
boys and their toys stew!? .... do they adorn your sitting room wall? .... or are they attached to you bedroom ceiling!? .... from where do you covet them!? Laughing
latest report
hompers.... SX-9's rock .... but then I would say that! but seriously they are pure smile machines! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat, 176? isn't that a wee bit long? What do they ski like? Did you try shorter ones?
How many questions are you allowed per post?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Adam Holt wrote:
do they adorn your sitting room wall? .... or are they attached to you bedroom ceiling!? .... from where do you covet them!? Laughing

Adam, when they're not on my workbench being waxed, they stay in my ski cupboard, which is beside the computer in my office.
snow report
markP, It's long for a slalom ski, but I wanted them as a general on-piste one, and something a bit softer than my old K2s when in the bumps.
I didn't try the shorter ones, cause when I tried the 176s, they just felt right.
ski holidays
Adam - do not succumb to one of the seven deadly sins (or was it ten commandments?). Do not covet thy forum colleague's skis!
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat, I always though the 3Vs were pretty stiff and unforgiving, or am I getting confused with the 2Vs? Or are the 2Vs just older versions of the 3Vs? How many questions am *I* allowed?
ski holidays
masopa,
2V is the GS ski, 3V the Slalom.
Yeah, compared to most skis they are stiff, and pretty unforgiving, but they are still softer than the Axis X Pros.
And I like stiff, unforgiving skis that punish you when you ski badly, but the sweet rewards of good control and balance more than make up for it.
snow report
MarkP,
The AxisX is a great allround ski it's just that the other two pairs of skis I have are better at different things. Bandit is more stable and is better in harder conditions, Mojos are better in the soft stuff. (Wood core is also better for rocks skis).
Marc,
I've only been an annorak skispotter for a couple of years Shocked - that must of been before my time.
Going back to the main poll ......
Most companies make good skis these days but buying from a particular manufacturer does not guarantee you a fantastic ski.
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat, Thanks for that - I understand now. Both pairs of skis are almost certainly beyond my ability!
ski holidays
Adam Holt wrote:
hompers.... SX-9's rock .... but then I would say that! but seriously they are pure smile machines! Toofy Grin

My only problem is the colour/design....but that's the girly in me!! Mind you hubbies been skiing in orange atomics with green boots & red salopettes, if I can tolerate looking at that I can do anything....
ski holidays
I must confess that I chose my suit outfit to match my orange Technicas and Red Atomics. I'm now Killy orange from head to toe (except the red skis, which actually go very well). Even have a black beanie with orange/red flames going up the sides to co-ordinate the whole lot.

And who said skiers don't have style?!? Well maybe not, but I'm certainly visible, even in whiteouts!

You know when you've been tangoed. Hmmm - that might be a good signature!
latest report
Orange Atomics here as well, although they call it copper.
Grey boots, grey sallys and a grey jacket as well. Methinks I need a colour shopping trip before next time.
ski holidays
masopa wrote:
I guarantee it's you, MM. I have absolutely no evidence to back up that claim, but since I have a theory that skiing is 80% confidence (and 20% luck), telling you that should just progress you further along the curve!

If it's the equipment that's better, then it's simply because your skill is improving and you can get the best out of the equipment now!

Call me an optimist...

I skied on my 1989 Atomic SL (205cm) for my first few runs this year at A Basin.

The rest of the season, I skied on my new Fischer RX8s (170cm). I guarantee that although I've improved a lot this season, the new boards are way better than the old ones! And they help me improve!
ski holidays
We're almost all Atomic with some Salomon, Sam has Race 5 (110), with a Race 6 (120) waiting for him when he grows a bit, I have the 9-18s (160) for dry slope and Screams 8w (160) for snow, Adam has the 11.2sx (130), these are the kids seriously insane short radius slalom skis. Sam doubles up on groms (Salomon) and Dad is a Salomon blader also, but thinking about moving back to skis with bandits. I think he will try out some at Easter.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy